Nespresso??

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
jtpca

Nespresso??

Post by jtpca »

A lot has been said about coffee in this forum. I am looking at one of these machines and am curious if anyone has experience with this product? Is the product worth the hype???

I am considering a 'Citiz', though do have concerns about being 'in bed' with one vendor for the product and the overall quality of the espresso.
Jason

There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know. - Truman
Messa

Post by Messa »

I tried a cup instore and it wasn't too bad if your after a decent cup and fast. But if it's flavor your after an espresso machine is the way to go I think and yea you can try other vendors coffee. If you can't be bothered or don't have time I'd go for a nespresso
function

Post by function »

I am not a fan at all of the concentrated pods like Nespresso or the K-Cups.

You can get a proper, fresh espresso for less cost with the purchase of a machine for under $300 that uses ESE pods, which you can buy from podmerchant.com or a similar vendor. You can find sample packs on Amazon that give you infinitely better variety than any proprietary technology like the K-Cup. The ESE pods I use have a similar cost but use, IMO better varieties of coffee.
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

We've used Nespresso, Lungo and espresso, pods for over 3 years and like it a lot. It's not the cheapest on a per cup basis for home brew, but it sure the heck is convenient and tidy. SWMBO uses it every morning to make herself a latte, whilst I'll have a Lungo or a double espresso. The only gripe I have is that I'd like the water to be a bit hotter for my espresso; other than that I won't go back to the mess and fuss of a regular espresso machine, which, in my experience, doesn't make better coffee.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Jason my approach has devolved into simplest is best. Buy green beans, roast, grind and brew in a French press.
Regards,
Squire
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Squire wrote:Jason my approach has devolved into simplest is best. Buy green beans, roast, grind and brew in a French press.
Simple except for the buy green beans, roast, and grind part.
Richard
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Simpler than it sounds, like describing our full shaving process.
Regards,
Squire
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

rustyblade wrote:
Squire wrote:Jason my approach has devolved into simplest is best. Buy green beans, roast, grind and brew in a French press.
Simple except for the buy green beans, roast, and grind part.
ditto, except add an additional exclusion for the French Press part... we just got a nice double boiler espresso machine which transports my wife back to Italy every morning... She's returns just after lunch, so it's all good!

After, I bought the machine, I read that the most important piece of hardware in making a really good espresso, is not the machine... but the grinder... I'm not enough of an afficiando to know...
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

We have two Nespresso machines and really enjoy the consistency and overall performance of these machines. You may be locked into buying the pods, and they are expensive but they do work well.

The machined replaced an Italian Faema machine that we had for years, I don't miss the mess or inconsistent grinds.

We also have a French Press and Aerobie coffee maker but prefer using our Nespresso machines.

Any questions feel free to ask!

PS - I don't work for Nespresso but do like my coffee!
Good shaving,

Gary
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

For regular coffee we love our Keurig (bought one after reading about them here). Sure they cost more per cup (we stock up when they go on sale), but we have have over a dozen different types of coffee on the go and not have to worry about them going stale. Strong blends for my travel mug on a work morning, medium blends for anytime, and flavoured coffees for after dinner, all brewed perfectly and quickly. They may not satisfy purists (who seem only happy brewing what is close to a coffee syrup), but they taste great to us.
Richard
jtpca

Post by jtpca »

Thanks everyone...

I have used many formats for brewing - pods at work, french press and Cuisinart brewer at home. I have found my best cups come from standardization.

Think I will go with the Nespresso and if it is not my solution, I guess there is Ebay. :-k
Jason

Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

I was doubtful about the Nespresso at first but I wouldn't be without it now. The variety of blends is good and the quality consistent; no mess of grounds, either. It's more or less deposed my old Pavoni machine.
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

My wife says to tell you guys that using a pod type machine is like shaving with a cartridge razor.... :twisted:
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
jtpca

Post by jtpca »

Blue As A Jewel wrote:My wife says to tell you guys that using a pod type machine is like shaving with a cartridge razor.... :twisted:
Ouch... now I need to reconsider.

Though the machines to appear to sell well below market value on Ebay.
Jason

Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

What a wuss... you should be trekking to Colombia and picking your own beans. :lol:
~Greg
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

^^^^^^^^^^^^

hahaha

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

And deprive those nubile young ladies of a job?
Regards,
Squire
Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

Oh, I'm suurrrre you'd find something else for them to do. :wink:
~Greg
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Blue As A Jewel wrote:My wife says to tell you guys that using a pod type machine is like shaving with a cartridge razor.... :twisted:
That's a very low blow...ouch. [-X
Furrball2

Post by Furrball2 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjtwCf5WWUU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxCbEFU0scM&NR=1

These Nespresso adds were made in English for French TV, funny with different endings.
Pen: Namiki
Razor: Merkur (Vision 2000) now 38C
Blades: Feather
Brush: Muhle-Pimsel silvertip
SureFire Executive Defender