Beer

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Bobwhite

Post by Bobwhite »

Home brew! Give it a try it's cheap and easy. Excellent quality too. Home made wine from kits is even easier, It's much cheaper than a comparable $20 bottle of liquor store wine at a fourth of the cost.

Joe O
aircraft_electrician

Post by aircraft_electrician »

Racso_MS wrote:
...But really, unless it's what I call "Bubba Beer" (The lites: Bud, Coors, Miller etc.) and it is a dark/semi-dark Beer and has Beer/Bier on the label, I'll probably drink it. \:D/

v/r
Oscar
I'm very much like this, as long as it's not your typical watered down American big-business beer, I'll probably try it. Right now I'm trying a 6-pack of Sam Adams Black Ale, (I know, Sam Adams is becoming one of those big-business brewers, but at least they still make good beer).

Their Black Ale is not bad, but it's not quite as flavorful as I expected. Still, it's not bad at all, rather easy to drink, and goes quite well with Oreo cookies.
A razor is a good deal like a gun, much depends on the man behind it - paraphrased from John Philip Sousa

ALWAYS wear a helmet when on 2 wheels; a helmet saved my life on 1Oct2007!
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

aircraft_electrician wrote:
Racso_MS wrote:
...But really, unless it's what I call "Bubba Beer" (The lites: Bud, Coors, Miller etc.) and it is a dark/semi-dark Beer and has Beer/Bier on the label, I'll probably drink it. \:D/

v/r
Oscar
I'm very much like this, as long as it's not your typical watered down American big-business beer, I'll probably try it. Right now I'm trying a 6-pack of Sam Adams Black Ale, (I know, Sam Adams is becoming one of those big-business brewers, but at least they still make good beer).

Their Black Ale is not bad, but it's not quite as flavorful as I expected. Still, it's not bad at all, rather easy to drink, and goes quite well with Oreo cookies.
One of the problems with "American big-business beer" (and I'll readily concede that there's a perfectly valid market for that) is that they are attempting to broach the "craft" market with new lines that sound like small-time, local stuff that just plain isn't.
Regards,
Mike
Gene

Post by Gene »

Racso_MS wrote:Less see; Amber Boch, Beck's Dark, Killian's Red, Negra Modelo, St. Pauli Girl Dark, Yeungling Black and Tan, Sam Adams Oktoberfest, Bass, Blue Moon, Dos Equis Amber, Heineken Dark, Leinenkugel Classic Amber/Oktoberfest, Red Stripe, Newcastle.
My favorites, from the list of Oscar.

I also like Sapporo, usually while having sushi.

I keep some lite beer in the garage fridge for casual sipping in the evenings, not my favorite, though.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

I hope you gents saw How Beer Saved The World on the Discovery Channel a few days ago. 8)
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

Beer recommendation of the weekend: Moerlein Doppelbock
Regards,
Mike
brothers

Post by brothers »

Dos Equis Amber, maybe Negro Modelo, and many of the other Mexican beers. Around here, where folks used to be scared to death of beer (actually anything alcoholic) and they had some draconian laws about it, all we could get (peer pressure high school and college) was .032 Coors.

For years I thought "beer" was something that gave me terrible headaches, but being a guy and trying to be "normal" I had a lot of headaches. It took a while to figure out it was something in Coors that does it.

I can go weeks without a beer and wouldn't miss it. I'll drink almost any of them, but no thanks when it comes to the big mass marketing kings. I prefer water to that stuff. I like it when I'm cooking or eating certain foods such as steak or mexican.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
function

Post by function »

brothers wrote: For years I thought "beer" was something that gave me terrible headaches, but being a guy and trying to be "normal" I had a lot of headaches. It took a while to figure out it was something in Coors that does it.

A lot of megabrews use things that shouldn't be in beer to beef up the grain count and make it cheaper. Included in this is rice, corn and types of wheat that aren't exactly beer-friendly.
The result of this is threefold:
Cheaper production price
Increased side effects, specifically headache/hangover effects
Less taste

Some microbrewers actually go as far as infusing their beers with B vitamins to prevent hangovers, under the idea that you expel a larger amount of B vitamins than normal when drinking. I actually used to take B vitamins when getting ready for marathon drinking days in my past, they seemed to work for me, but I also started drinking better beer.

Sadly the megabrews put more money into advertising than they do into equipment upkeep and innovation.
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
infotech

Post by infotech »

I like my beer like I like my women err coffee - dark. St Pauli Girl Special Dark, Shiner Bock, I like a few IPAs like Broken Halo. One of our local breweries - Saint Arnold Brewing - makes some great beer - Texas Wheat, Lawnmower.

I tend to lean toward German brews..
James
function

Post by function »

infotech wrote:I like my beer like I like my women err coffee - dark. St Pauli Girl Special Dark, Shiner Bock, I like a few IPAs like Broken Halo. One of our local breweries - Saint Arnold Brewing - makes some great beer - Texas Wheat, Lawnmower.

I'm not a big fan of the Fancy Lawnmower, but that just because I'm not a hopaholic. St Arnold makes great stuff though.

Have you tried the Shiner 102 yet? I just picked up a 6er over the weekend and I love it. It looks like a megabrew when poured in a glass but drinks like a dream.
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
infotech

Post by infotech »

function wrote:Have you tried the Shiner 102 yet? I just picked up a 6er over the weekend and I love it. It looks like a megabrew when poured in a glass but drinks like a dream.
I haven't tried that one yet... I'll have to check it out.
James
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

infotech wrote:I like my beer like I like my women err coffee - dark. St Pauli Girl Special Dark, Shiner Bock, I like a few IPAs like Broken Halo. One of our local breweries - Saint Arnold Brewing - makes some great beer - Texas Wheat, Lawnmower.

As much as I love Dark German Beer, Shiner Bock doesn't agree with me. I don't know why, but it doesn't. It doesn't upset my stomach or anything, it's the taste. I've tried several "samples" to make sure I wasn't mistaken and low and behold, "I don't like it". But there are hundreds of Beers out there I haven't tried but I'm working on it.

Check this out, my wife gave me a Christmas Present: "Beer of The Month Club". I get three beers/four brands for three months to try. So far, I've received four brands and three suck, but one doesn't. Expecting my next supply the end of the month. But can you believe a woman who will do that for her husband. What a woman. :D
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I recently discovered the Widmer brewery. Highly recommended.
Rocky_Marciano

Post by Rocky_Marciano »

I recently tried a brooklyn lager and it was pretty good, different but good.

When it comes to beer it depends on how much $$$ I have I like molson canadian, molson ice, molson export, I dont realy like labatt's but ill drink it, budweisers ok but not worth the money if you ask me, I really like miller high life its a good honest beer at a tasty price and its really good in the bottle (i hate cans). I guess if im broke then ill buy genny
"Life aint about how hard you can hit its how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward"
brothers

Post by brothers »

Last evening (Valentine's Day!) we went to "Chubby's Fried Chicken" and had a fun dinner, fried jalapenos, mashed potatoes and gravy, and a chicken. What was my point?? Oh, I remember. I had a very cold and thirst-quenching Tecate! Muy Bueno!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

brothers wrote:Last evening (Valentine's Day!) we went to "Chubby's Fried Chicken" and had a fun dinner, fried jalapenos, mashed potatoes and gravy, and a chicken. What was my point?? Oh, I remember. I had a very cold and thirst-quenching Tecate! Muy Bueno!
The Hell with the Beer. Give me some of that Southern Cooking that I'm not supposed to eat. With that meal, a tall glass of sweet ice tea would be great. (Something else I'm not supposed to have). Beer is the one vice I refuse to give up. (Shaving products etc. don't count.)
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

Thanks for the suggestions, by the way, especially for the breweries I hadn't heard of (I have to admit, I'm still in the stage of my beer-drinking career that I want to find the smallest, most obscure breweries possible, whether the brew is good or not :shock: ). I had one the other night that I thought was worth recommending - Pietra, in their words "Corsican beer made with chestnut flour." Now, I don't know about anyone else, but I wouldn't have associated the island of Corsica with a fine beer-making tradition before this beer, but I have to say it was quite good.

http://www.brasseriepietra.com/en/pgs/pietra1_en.htm

On a non-beer note, it looks like the company also makes a hilarious knock off of Coca-Cola:

http://www.brasseriepietra.com/en/pgs/sodas_en.htm
Regards,
Mike
Bobwhite

Post by Bobwhite »

I like Bush Light! It costs the same as your premium beers, but they give you twice as much of it.
paddy

Post by paddy »

this weekend i been drinking mostly meantime brewery, london pale ale and also st peters brewery, organic best bitter. both very tasty.
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
SmallTank

Post by SmallTank »

I prefer Sapporo Beer..me n the wife like to split one at nighttime 1x a month
8) FYI: Beer n shaving DONT MIX!

ST :lol: