Porsche owners out there?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
hoffo

Porsche owners out there?

Post by hoffo »

Does anyone else on here own a Porsche? I got my first one just a couple of weeks ago and am in love. It's a 2001 Boxster. No "S" for me, thank you.

I realize it runs counter to Porsche's racing heritage but I see no need to drive fast. It's such a beautiful machine - very well put together. Cruising down the road with the top down is amazing.

Thanks for your time guys.
Made with Macintosh!
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

If memory serves me correctly, our beloved Tonyespo recently retired as a Porsche sales rep.

He probably has a yard full of them -- parked right beside his John Deere tractor. :wink:

I heard that the Boxster has persona non grata status in many Porsche circles -- is that really true? Don't get me wrong, I think they are a nifty little car - and wouldn't say no to one of my own -- I am just curious.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

I also very much like the look of the Boxster... my chiropractor just won $3.6M in the lottery - he's eyeing a Panamera... when I win the lotto, I'll do the same...
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
hoffo

Post by hoffo »

Hi,
I haven't really encountered much anti-Boxster sentiment, then again, I've only been to the dealer once and haven't been to any PCA type events.
What I have found is a little bit of "Oh, YOU have a Porsche?" treatment... at the dealer, and only from a couple of the folks there. Quite a few more helpful and friendly folks to outnumber them, thankfully. Whatever. I make sure and turn it back around and return the 'tude when necessary.
Maybe it's because the Boxster is their least expensive model... I don't know.

I don't really like the newer ones as much as the first generation 986s. ...although if I had the money I'd certainly have a brand new one. :) That Panamera is pretty sweet looking, I must say.
Made with Macintosh!
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Haven't got my roadster, a humble 1991 Miata with 25k on the clock, out of the garage for four years now. Too busy. Must try when (?if) the snow goes away. Wish I had a Porsche!

Chris
But then the guilt of leaving it unused would be greater...
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Blue As A Jewel wrote:I also very much like the look of the Boxster... my chiropractor just won $3.6M in the lottery - he's eyeing a Panamera... when I win the lotto, I'll do the same...
May and Hammond liked the Panamera -- while racing Her Majesty's Royal Mail. You'll have to watch the videos to see who wins -- no spoiler alert necessary here.

I think if I were to win $3.6M -- I would be eying retirement first, new car second. As if a Chiropractor needs $3.6M - cheesh! :wink:
Wendell

Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

jww wrote:I think if I were to win $3.6M -- I would be eying retirement first, new car second. As if a Chiropractor needs $3.6M - cheesh! :wink:
To add salt, he's in his mid-30's and is also looking at a BMW X5 as the family car - he has not intention of retiring. But you know what? He's a really nice fellow with a young family... and $3.6M doesn't go as far as it once use to either...

I've always had a soft spot for an Austin Healey 3000 Mk III myself... although the notion of a convertabile of any sort here in Winnipeg is short-lived in my mind...
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Bug-eye Sprite just for looks. The 948cc, 43HP Morris Minor engine aside.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I wish I had been run over by a Porsche instead of a Honda. I'd be able to afford the Porsche.
Ron
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Blue As A Jewel wrote:
jww wrote:I think if I were to win $3.6M -- I would be eying retirement first, new car second. As if a Chiropractor needs $3.6M - cheesh! :wink:
To add salt, he's in his mid-30's and is also looking at a BMW X5 as the family car - he has not intention of retiring. But you know what? He's a really nice fellow with a young family... and $3.6M doesn't go as far as it once use to either...

I've always had a soft spot for an Austin Healey 3000 Mk III myself... although the notion of a convertabile of any sort here in Winnipeg is short-lived in my mind...
Figures -- youth is wasted on the wrong people (ok, so I borrowed that from It's A Wonderful Life -- but it fits, doesn't it?). I'd be going for the Austin as well. Everyone drives Bimmers and Audis these days -- no imagination.
Wendell

function

Post by function »

drmoss_ca wrote: The 948cc, 43HP Morris Minor engine aside.

Chris
Can you just drop a piano on it now and get it over with?
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
hoffo

Post by hoffo »

I really like roadsters - I wanted an older Z3 but also was considering an older MGB or Alfa Romeo. Glad to have stuck it out - the Boxster was really quite a deal. Never was much for the Sprite... although I do like the AH 3000.
Made with Macintosh!
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

My daughter's best high school friend had a brother who flew to Houston to buy a black Boxster from a dentist. It was about 3 years old, super low mileage. The father of the boy worked at a Lexus dealership and they would tinker with it, add some after market brakes, things to snazz it up. Sold it about 3 years later. Wish I had bought it
gruffydd3

Post by gruffydd3 »

My favorite of all the cars I've owned was my 1972 Lotus Elan. That was a driving experience that is unmatched. It's unreliabilty was almost unmatched too. Nevertheless, I'd love to have another.

Right now, I have a Honda S2000. It's the closest to a Lotus that I've found, and reliable too.

Regards,

Rick
aircraft_electrician

Post by aircraft_electrician »

I've always lusted after Porsches, but have never owned one. In fact, the only European car I've ever owned was a '62 Beetle. With its original 42 horsepower engine, it was barely capable of modern freeway speeds and in the winter I'd usually have to stop twice on the way to work to scrape the ice from the windshield, inside and out. Despite these shortcomings, it's still one of my favorite cars.

Tom
A razor is a good deal like a gun, much depends on the man behind it - paraphrased from John Philip Sousa

ALWAYS wear a helmet when on 2 wheels; a helmet saved my life on 1Oct2007!
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

I am the previous owner of a '87 944 Turbo, another "red headed stepchild"
in the eyes of those who thought a true Porsche had its motor in the wrong end of the car and was air cooled. :roll:

I never got any respect from the PCA crowd. As a member at that time, I got an invite to the "super secret" unveiling of the Cayenne SUV prior to public release. When it was rolled out, I remarked that it was hideous (just like the new Panamera :wink: ) and those around me looked on aghast, as if I had said Mother Theresa turned $2 tricks.

My love/hate affair with the marque ended after three years, $$$ of mechanic's bills, and a trip to traffic court that came close to $1200 fine and eight points on my record.

Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Ah, but Tony, you have the memories, right?

What did Richard Pryor say, in the Silver Bullet movie with Gene Wilder, about Porsches? :) :)
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

jww wrote:I heard that the Boxster has persona non grata status in many Porsche circles -- is that really true? Don't get me wrong, I think they are a nifty little car - and wouldn't say no to one of my own -- I am just curious.
A good friend of mine, who lives in Aberdeen, Scotland, is a fanatical Porsche enthusiast and owner. During a visit 3 years ago I mentioned that I might buy a Boxster to which he replied, "Hairdresser's car!" and meant it. To this day I haven't been able to look at a Boxster the same way and without his retort ringing in my ears. So what did I buy instead? A BMW Z4, and I love it. Every so often I look longingly at a Boxster, but then Jonnie's words come back to haunt me.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Rufus, I wonder what feelings I would have had I gotten that Boxster. I know that the car would be in great shape, mechanically and aesthetically (black car and those red brake drums looked sharp) but for some reason, cars with little room in back are hard for me to really think I would buy. Now, if I had a SUV as my second car (not including wife's) then yes.

My wife last March found me a 2008 335 BMW convertible, for a song. I did not steal it, but let's say I did about as well as anyone could reasonably expect. The guy had added extras, like a windcreen, the premium sport package with seat warmers, Satellite radio, some sort of lifetime paint protection and extended warranty on the tires (but alas, I bought a whole new set in November). It was at that time a 2008 model in March, 2010, with 22,000 miles on it. Had my mechanic check it out, but I am pleased. I had a ragtop, a 2002 Toyota Solara with over 150,000 miles on it and needing repairs, and wanted a hardtop convertible. If it had not been for the wife, I would have looked at the smaller engine, the 328, to save money as I dont need a supercharged motor. But now that I have it, let's say passing on the highway is a breeze. White with what I call the pigskin leather interior, not that offgray color. I love it.

I got a loaner a few years back when we had our 323 in for service, and got a Z4. Loved it. But not having a backseat and little trunk space made taking it on road trips impractical. Also, something about slinging my elbows back and hitting the firewall behind me was not to my liking. But that performance, wow. Something about how the BMW zips compared to a MB gets me. My wife had me looking at the 2 seater MB and granted, it looks sharp, but it has some problems, like the cup holder being directly above the radio and dripping onto the radio screen.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Sam, the Z4 is a true indulgence since we have 2 other cars: a Lexus IS 300 and a Lexus RX 300. They're both getting on in age, but they still run well and are in great condition. I don't have your problem with 2-seaters and the trunk in the Z4 is actually qite spacious for a 2-seater; we can fit 2 carry-on cases in the trunk and still have room for some odds and ends. Alas, I only run the car for 6 months of the year, keeping it away from the ice, snow, and, most important, the road salt in the winter months. We've thought about trading the Z4 for a BMW 128 convertible and getting rid of the IS 300, but I'm not too sure...