Suggestions for a mp3 player and earbuds

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
m3m0ryleak

Suggestions for a mp3 player and earbuds

Post by m3m0ryleak »

Well into second month of doctor ordered exercise at the local gym/health club. I'm thinking that I need to establish my own audio oasis and not be held in thrall to what pours out out of the overhead speakers as I sweat on the elliptical trainer. I'm looking at a SanDisk Sansa Clip (4 or 8 gig) player (FLAC compatible) and JBuds J3 earbuds as a sub $100 outlay that is sufficiently durable, comfortable for gym use. Absolute fidelity is not required.
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

For me, Ipod was the way to go. The computer interface is excellent, and you can download your music in full lossless format, which is practically a direct copy of your CD. I have a 160GB Ipod Classic, and my entire 2000+ album music collection is downloaded onto it, plus there's still room for movies, TV episodes, podcasts etc. You can create your own customized playlists easilty as well. It comes in handy when travelling, and when I'm at my Cardiac Rehab class (Dr ordered as well, so I feel your pain! Literally!!) too.
Cheers,

Craig
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Tony, I've asked just this question at anythingbutipod.com. They recommended the Sansa Clip+ and the Maximo iM590 earphones. Both are available from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/iM-590-Enhanced-D ... VSBV717YT9

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Sansa-Cli ... VSBV717YT9
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
function

Post by function »

Personally I believe that ipods steal your soul at night while you sleep. Their interface is good, but if you are not savvy and careful the interface will make it so you can only use your music on an apple device.
Woot.com used to offer a Sansa every other week but has not done so for awhile.

I have resorted to using my Android phone as a mp3 player and also using Pandora or Slacker radio.
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
funkthulhu

Post by funkthulhu »

I'm using an iPod Classic with 160 gigs of space. Mostly because I had an iPod v5.5 before that and these both fit the specialized plug on my car stereo. I've got a thick rubbery SPECK iPod cover and it's not nearly too large for me to carry around with my while I'm on my walks, etc. A good shoulder strap or belt-hook goes a long way.

As far as the headphones, I find that the iPod ear-buds pretty much suck completely. They won't stay in my ears and the sound quality is crap. Since I'm an avid Wooter (woot.com) I often see headphones or in-ear ear-buds come up on sale and have tried many of them. My favorite by far is the Razer m100 earbuds. http://amzn.com/B001HN6PBM

The left cord is much shorter than the right as many ear-buds are this day, so that they can be draped around the back of the neck when not in use. It comes with it's own soft case with mesh pockets inside. (I can use it to hold all manner of small bits the things in my pockets) It also includes a double-prong adapter for airplane headphone sockets. Most importantly, they come with 3 sizes of ear-buds to cover almost any size of ear canal. The rubber used is very soft and pliable and has never given me the irritation I've felt from other in-ear buds.

Overall, these are the best I've had and they last a long time. I'm only on my second set, and that's because the cat chewed through the wires of the last one a couple years ago.

My only advice is to check around, as the in-ear ear-buds often short out after too much sweaty activity. I haven't had a problem with these, but they're my everyday ear-buds. I use them when I go for a walk, but I'm usually not plugged in when I'm doing a full workout.
"Ph'nglui nglw'nafh Funkthulhu R'lincoln wgah'nagl shavagn"

In his house in Lincoln, Funkthulhu is shaving. . .
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Earbuds are from hell. Never put anything in your ear smaller than your elbow, is actually sage advice. I use either the Koss Porta-Pro or Sennheiser PX-100 fold-ups. Fidelity is very good and they're comfy; a good compromise between the big rigs and little demons.
Ron
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Another iPod user here ..... mine is also a classic -- much better for music than those silly touch devices which have a cool factor, but aren't necessarily the bees knees.

Insofar as earbuds are concerned -- I have owned quite a few -- from noise isolating (my favourite for gym environments) to open-ear format - which do not drown out noise fully.

When exercising, you need to think through the sweat factor. Sennheiser have recently paired with Adidas to market sets of sweat resistant - workout specific earbuds in a couple of different styles. They are good, not necessarily great - but then no earbud is really going to give you near the sound of an over ear headphone.

Currently I own a pair of Bose IE2 and use their new earbud forms which have upward hooks which stay put in your ear. They stay in the ear and to be honest, you don't even know that they are there. In fact, they don't really sit inside the canal, they sit in the bottom cradle of the ear, and the new design has has an extra port which helps with the production of space.

The sound is good in the low end but I have to admit that they are lacking a tad in the upper end -- but that's because I am using them without my hearing aids -- for obvious reasons. I really like the Audio Technica and Bose noise canceling headphones. They are great -- really great, but may be too cumbersome and warm for working out with.

My previous ones which just gave up the ghost were Shure SE115 noise isolation earbuds -- which were a dog to fit, but they sure (no pun intended) were good at producing a realistic sound stage - especially for earbuds. Too bad they died 2 months past their warranty they were really very good quality earbuds.

Nevertheless, the Bose are pretty good and I will probably stay with them. I got them at half price -- unheard of with Bose products, so I can't really complain. To be honest, though, I would look at the Sennheiser/Adidas sports line.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

I've seen pod people at the gym with their Apple gear strapped to the arms, too big and too much money for me. Thanks for the ear bud suggestions. I was looking at my friends Creative Zen X-fi earlier today but it has been replaced by the X-fi2 (?) which has a supposedly cranky touch screen.
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

m3m0ryleak wrote:I've seen pod people at the gym with their Apple gear strapped to the arms, too big and too much money for me. Thanks for the ear bud suggestions. I was looking at my friends Creative Zen X-fi earlier today but it has been replaced by the X-fi2 (?) which has a supposedly cranky touch screen.
A shuffle is perfect for the gym... at $49 to boot...
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

I love Ultimate Ears earphones. They make the in-ear monitors that you see on many musicians these days. I don't have one of their top-of-the-line custom-fitted models. These are fitted by a wax mold of your actual ear canal. Their less expensive models are very good. Several have multiple drivers. I use a model that has a mic and iPhone control.
Jim
werdna

Post by werdna »

I guess I have to jump in. My suggestion won't match what anyone wants for inexpensive tho.

I have an older set of Westone in ear monitors with custom ear molds. They are absolutely awesome. You have to have the molds cast at a hearing aide shop and wait a bit for them to be fitted but the final result is totally worth it. You won't need to turn up the volume at all to hear because they block out almost all ambient noise.

It appears they have updated their line-up a bunch since I bought my set. the CR1 seem to fit the bill.

http://www.westonemusicproducts.com/mus ... 1-earphone
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Blue As A Jewel wrote:...
A shuffle is perfect for the gym... at $49 to boot...
+1 -- or even a Nano -- both are teeny-tiny, and have clips to attach out of the way on a shirt sleeve, neckline, etc.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
SmallTank

Post by SmallTank »

Believe it or not Microsoft Zune HD came in a close 2ndplace as an MP3 player..plus online music download services work great..I have had the same classic ipod nano for 5 years works fine..no issues..but many online music service dont like Apple :shock:
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

I have a Sansa SanDisk M240 with 1 gig capacity. It is small, and refurbished ones are inexpensive. It works great solo or with Linux, Windows and other usb players.
Ed
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

I did get the Sandisk Sansa Clip + 8G player with JLabs JB3 earbuds, loaded both internal memory and a 2G microSD card. Just the ticket for gym workouts and as an added bonus, the player plugs into the face plate of the JVC head unit in my Jeep.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =1&theater

Sorry for the blurry cell pic.
Tony

GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Tony, glad you got the Clip+! That link isn't working for me.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed