Autumn days and ex-wives

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Squire
Squadron Leader

Autumn days and ex-wives

Post by Squire »

Just got a phone call from an ex-wife to remind me we were married 28 years ago today. Pleasant conversation. Query regarding the number of ex-wives . . . if you go back and marry the same one twice does that count as one or two?
Regards,
Squire
druphus

Post by druphus »

I say one (1), but maybe we need a poll! :lol:

The empahasis being on "wives" not "marriages".
Regards,
Andy
SmallTank

Post by SmallTank »

Just curious..im always suprised those who go their separate ways being together and knowing the other virtually inside and out..hehe..why the split?...sitting down and "working things" out seems tougher than saying it I'm sure.
rsp1202

Re: Autumn days and ex-wives

Post by rsp1202 »

Squire wrote: . . . if you go back and marry the same one twice does that count as one or two?
Grover Cleveland was elected twice as President for non-consecutive terms, which count as two presidencies. Then again, maybe that's a question only a lawyer could answer.
Ron
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

The lawyers I know have different answers . . . but they're not charging me for their advice so it's worth what I paid.
Regards,
Squire
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Donno ST, lots of people seem to view the first go round as marriage with training wheels.
Regards,
Squire
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I must be a slow learner - I still have the training wheels 35 years after meeting her.

Chris :roll:
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
RazoRock

Post by RazoRock »

same woman, I'd count it as one but I don't think there is a right answer :lol:
Rob

Post by Rob »

My question is why would she call you to remind you of your and her marriage 28 years ago? That's very strange to me.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Rob if I understood women I would have a best selling book and a movie deal in the works.
Regards,
Squire
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Squire, October 8 (1956) was a big day for my parents as well. As an early anniversary present, my dad bought my mom tickets to see Rex Harrison and Julie Andrews on Broadway in My Fair Lady. That was a very big deal to my mother.

We lived in Boston at the time, and they spent the day driving down to New York, listening to Don Larsen pitch his perfect game in the World Series!
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

GA, now that sounds like a great day.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Yes, GA, it makes me happy, just reading about it. Great memories!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Quarterstick

Post by Quarterstick »

Squire wrote:Query regarding the number of ex-wives . . . if you go back and marry the same one twice does that count as one or two?
I'd go with the language per Andy/druphus. If you are talking marriages, then that would be two marriages. The status of wife or ex-wife is attached to the person, so they would not really get counted more than once. It gets really tricky if you remarry and it sticks. She is now your current wife so you have no ex-wives. If you seperate again she is still only one ex-wife, but I suppose you could say I have one ex-wife squared.
SmallTank wrote:Just curious..im always suprised those who go their separate ways being together and knowing the other virtually inside and out..hehe..why the split?...sitting down and "working things" out seems tougher than saying it I'm sure.
I am fortunate that I have happily been with the same woman for 14 years, so I cannot speak from direct experience. However, anecdotally I have heard so many reasons from people that have split that there is just not a simple answer. People are complex. Heck we are inconsistent within our selves, acting one way in a situation and acting in a contradictory manner another time, never mind tossing another person into the mix.
Andy

An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and you have a dime.
matt321

Post by matt321 »

Squire wrote:Just got a phone call from an ex-wife to remind me we were married 28 years ago today. Pleasant conversation.

I think she likes you! 8)
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

It's a pattern matt, at different times a couple of the others have volunteered to help out at the office when we were understaffed.
Regards,
Squire
Araner

Post by Araner »

Rob wrote:My question is why would she call you to remind you of your and her marriage 28 years ago? That's very strange to me.
Perhaps the older we get the deeper the thoughts. What went wrong, was it me, could we have done something better, was it really that bad? Also, a call from an ex could be an attempt to twist the knife or push a button one last time. Women have been known to make a mans life hell on earth.

For me, the first marrage was a mistake that lasted 9 years. The second marrage has been a blessing going on 25 plus years. Thank goodness for divorce and thank goodness for marrage.

Mike
PT

Post by PT »

I would count it as two. It is a new beginning, not a continuation.
95%

Post by 95% »

Of course, as Squire well knows, all our relationships are precious - the ones that didn't work out so well as much as the ones that did. We should treasure our old loves and hold them close as long as we can.
Porter
Antique Hoosier

Post by Antique Hoosier »

4 years ago I divorced after 21 years of marriage. NEVER again for me for sure! Once was certainly enough!
Mike