Android owners

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Android owners

Post by fallingwickets »

don't get all riled up about iphone's siri......visit the market and take a peek at:

Speaktoit Assistant
and
Voice Actions

:lol:

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Rob

Post by Rob »

I will definitely take a look at those tonight. Thanks, Clive!
giammi

Post by giammi »

And for the Android geek there is also cyanogenmod (at your own risk)

http://www.cyanogenmod.com/
Giammi

Camminare sul filo del rasoio
itsmedave

Post by itsmedave »

I know this question is probably best asked elsewhere, but what is the advantage to rooting or jail breaking your android device? I have an Acer Iconia 500 Tablet I got a great deal on at the shop I work for and was wondering what else I could do with it if I "rooted it".
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

itsmedave wrote:I know this question is probably best asked elsewhere, but what is the advantage to rooting or jail breaking your android device? I have an Acer Iconia 500 Tablet I got a great deal on at the shop I work for and was wondering what else I could do with it if I "rooted it".
I believe you can get your question answered at: www.androidforums.com
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

i have been using voice actions for a few weeks now.....not bad at all, and a lot better than siri even if a lot better means understanding my accent to begin with!!!!!!!!

clive
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

I have to confess my attitude to voice recognition stuff has been colored very negatively by the inability of any of it to recognize what on earth I'm saying with my incredibly exotic English accent. . . :lol:
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

A little off topic, but Cyanogenmod can also be rooted onto the Barnes & Noble Color Nook. If you purchase a refurbished one right from B&N, you have a full Android Tablet for about $179. The screen resolution is the same as an iPod, albeit in a 7.5” format (which as a consolation is more convenient to carry).

I’ve been running one for several months pretty much glitch free. I do feel a little guilty running Kindle on the Nook, though.

Next project is to purchase an iPhone and root it to a full Android (Apple makes beautiful devices, but their software’s a little too “enduserish” for my taste).

Steve
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

i envy tech guys that know how to 'fix' stuff :D

clive
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I just nod and pretend to understand.
Regards,
Squire
Baloosh

Post by Baloosh »

SteveK wrote:A little off topic, but Cyanogenmod can also be rooted onto the Barnes & Noble Color Nook. If you purchase a refurbished one right from B&N, you have a full Android Tablet for about $179. The screen resolution is the same as an iPod, albeit in a 7.5” format (which as a consolation is more convenient to carry).

I’ve been running one for several months pretty much glitch free. I do feel a little guilty running Kindle on the Nook, though.

Next project is to purchase an iPhone and root it to a full Android (Apple makes beautiful devices, but their software’s a little too “enduserish” for my taste).

Steve
$179 is still too much for an Android tablet. I don't envy things I have to break, mod and hack just to get it working. And if a 7.5" device is more convenient to carry than an iPod... then the larger something is, the easier it is to maneuver? :shock:

Why would you ever jailbreak an iPhone simply to put any build of Android on it (including ICS)? iOS is a bit too "enduserish" - read: too easy to use, too intuitive and a but too much "just works" for you. Am I reading that right?

I understand the willingness to tinker with things, but iPhones are so popular for one reason - they work, and work well. You'll find that once you get Android on the iPhone, it's still laggy, still buggy, and the UI is still crap... which eliminates hardware as the culprit in Android's failures.
Jason

Post by jww »

ichabod wrote:... my incredibly exotic English accent. . . :lol:
That leaves quite a bit of room to have an interesting poke, but I will defer for the moment ...... :wink:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Wendell, I've heard his accent and . . . well . . . oh never mind.
Regards,
Squire
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

Well, there are those of us who really don’t care about “too easy to use” or “just works.” I understand the lure of the Apple universe, but some of us are condemned to tinker. Never met a device/machine that I could just leave alone. To each his own I suppose.

Considering a “modified” Nook can pretty much do anything a $500 Android tablet can – with superior screen resolution compared to many, then I don’t think $179 is too bad.

Regarding the iPhone UI, I just don’t care for it but I do understand its popularity. Then again, I've never liked the Mac UI either.

Can we now move on to a less inflammatory topic, like Sarah Palin or something?

Steve
brothers

Post by brothers »

There's a surprising amount of stuff that I'm sadly missing out on. I gotta get caught up.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
RazoRock

Post by RazoRock »

just got the Galaxy S2 tonight, very cool phone, a little overwhelming to learn though.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Even with the advances of smartphones, and even with the bad press RIM has been getting, I continue to stick with my BlackBerry -- frankly it simply works well, and keeps me totally connected with the office and home.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
nteeman

Post by nteeman »

jww wrote:Even with the advances of smartphones, and even with the bad press RIM has been getting, I continue to stick with my BlackBerry -- frankly it simply works well, and keeps me totally connected with the office and home.
Me too. I have seen lots of folks switch from BB to Iphone or Android and after a short time they start moaning for their BBs.

I am eligible for an upgrade but decided to keep my BB and wait. BB is coming out with a new system - QNX (?) - and I want to see what that brings before I change.

So for now I am sticking with my BB Bold.
-Neal (DE user since 1998)
I shave therefore I am

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

got the Galaxy S2 tonight
voted best phone 2010...take that i4!!!!!!!!! :lol:

am patiently waiting for the nexus version.......looks better than sliced bread

clive
Rob

Post by Rob »

I just wish I could go back to my previous mobile OS....webOS. *sigh* I really don't like Android all that much, but I get by.