A tea substitute for coffee?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
BullGoose
Vendor

Re: A tea substitute for coffee?

Post by BullGoose »

brothers wrote:I'm wondering if there's a tea that would be the caffeilne equivalent or even stronger than coffee. I love my coffee, and if I found a tea that I could drink and receive the same or better caffeine, maybe with cream, but never any sugar, then maybe I could do that. I just think I might be missing out on something good here. No reason to stick to coffee only, if there's a tea just as good or better. Any suggestions? We've got a few good retailers that probably handle at least a few of the better teas, Whole Foods, maybe?
Yes...Morning Thunder tea has the power of 1000 charging Buffalo. How do I know? It says so right on the box. :D

http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
brothers

Post by brothers »

Now I've got to track down some of the Morning Thunder and Fast Lane.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Got some teas at teavana. A sevenberry sangria and wow, i liked the fact you could use boiling water but way too sweet.

Then i got a mix of something they serve you, the aruveydic chai and the mate blend. I like that. Then saw where it takes 180 degree water. Any easy way to find out when the water is 180 rather than taking a meat thermometer to it while it is coming to a boil?

Then, how can you tell what tea will taste like from reading the descriptions. I got four samples from here and they are all black teas, but I liked the mango tea from Cheesecake Factory and then a few of what they serve at Teavana. With the bad experience of the too-sweet roobios tea I got yesterday, I want to see what I might like from Adagio and Upton. Suggestions?
merkri

Post by merkri »

Sam wrote: Then i got a mix of something they serve you, the aruveydic chai and the mate blend. I like that. Then saw where it takes 180 degree water. Any easy way to find out when the water is 180 rather than taking a meat thermometer to it while it is coming to a boil?

Then, how can you tell what tea will taste like from reading the descriptions. I got four samples from here and they are all black teas, but I liked the mango tea from Cheesecake Factory and then a few of what they serve at Teavana. With the bad experience of the too-sweet roobios tea I got yesterday, I want to see what I might like from Adagio and Upton. Suggestions?
About your first question: when I'm really worried about it, I measure the temp. I've found that heating the water in the microwave in a clear pyrex or glass container to the point where there's a lot of steam coming off the top, but no boiling, is about right for 180. On the other hand, I tend not to worry too much about temperature except for greens and pouchongs--blacks are usually fine with boiling water for me.

I'm not sure what to say about descriptions. It sounds like you might like straight fruit-flavored blacks, which are pretty standard. You might like black teas with a single fruit--sometimes they add flower blossoms for color or something, which doesn't matter. The ingredients are probably the best bet in this regard--if it sounds appetizing, it probably is, with a lot of trial and error.

I'm not a big fan of sweet, fruity tisanes (herbal teas) either. Tisanes with sweet ingredients (like lots of berries or other dried fruits) can be overly sweet, as they usually are getting most of their flavor from things that have naturally occurring sugars. The same sweet ingredients in a black tea base are often less sweet, because the tea, which isn't sweet, is constituting more of the flavor component. Some fruit-flavored green teas are often too sweet for me too, as the tea gets overpowered by the fruit (although I do like some fruit-flavored green tea blends).

I do like rooibos a lot, but it is a little sweet on its own, so I would be cautious of rooibos blends with a lot of sweet ingredients. Hibiscus is an ingredient I usually avoid like the plague, as it's too sweet for my tastes.

"Malty" is usually code for an Assam somewhere. "Brisk" or "takes milk well" is often but not always a sign that the tea is more puckery or tannic (which can be a good thing if you're into that, like my wife). Keemuns are sometimes described as "smoky" (not like lapsang souchongs, which are actually smoky), Yunnans sometimes in terms of cocoa or spice.

A lot of it is a matter of personal preference, and trying different things. Over time you'll get a sense of what descriptors and ingredients tip you off to. There's no perfect descriptive language, either; sometimes descriptors I've read seem to be totally off, others seem more standard and predictable. If you can see and smell the tea in person, that's great (although sometimes that can be deceiving too). I think the ingredients are key; as you learn what different tea varietals taste like, what different processing techniques do, what different flavorings do for you, that's probably the most useful information.
brothers

Post by brothers »

My oldest daughter received a gift of "Matcha", and she gave me a few teaspoons of it. Supposedly it's got a factor of "caffeine x 10" according to the information that came with it from the tea shop. A green powder, supposedly made by pulverizing dried leaves. It's not bad to the taste, I'd describe it as "pulverized dry leaves" :D Anyway, it needs to be refrigerated, and has to be whipped as it brews, and she uses a little bamboo wisk for that. Interesting stuff. I'm wondering if any of you gents have experience with this stuff, that you can comment on.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
merkri

Post by merkri »

My favorite use for matcha is probably a little nontraditional, but I like it the most in iced concoctions--e.g., blended with milk and ice for a sort of iced tea-smoothie type thing. The matcha I've seen can be a little pricey, so I often feel bad using it for that, but it's pretty tasty.

I like green tea hot, but usually prefer whole-leaf green teas for that.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Merkri, you reminded me that my daughter mentioned smoothies when she gave me the Matcha. I'm going to ask her to make me one, I'm curious to sample one.
Gary