Politicians pontificating

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Squire
Squadron Leader

Politicians pontificating

Post by Squire »

"The only way I can lose this election is to get caught in bed with a dead woman or a live man."

Edwin Edwards, who served four terms as Governor of Louisiana
Regards,
Squire
GregPQ

Post by GregPQ »

Classic. These days I'm not so sure about "There'll Always Be an England."

There'll Always Be a Louisiana.

Greg
Fiat lux, et facta est lux. Que la lumière soit, et la lumière fut. Let there be light, and there was light.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Another famous quote from Edwards: "I plead not guilty, your honor."

And just for the record, served 10 years in federal prison. :lol:
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Isn't he the one that was basically a crook, but got things done for his state so he was always re-elected?

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
addylo

Post by addylo »

Is this a thread for posting our favorite political quotes? If so, this has to be near the top for me:

"We have to pass this bill to find out what's in it" - Nancy Pelosi (on the health care bill)
Neal
brothers

Post by brothers »

I can easily believe that happened. :lol:
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Quotes that show their idiotcy, inanity, ignorance, arrogance and other shared traits.

One the classics:

"That depends on what the meaning of the word it is."
Bill Clinton
Regards,
Squire
addylo

Post by addylo »

Squire wrote:Quotes that show their idiotcy, inanity, ignorance, arrogance and other shared traits.
In other words, you want us to show their good side. :lol:
Neal
brothers

Post by brothers »

Two inane quotes for the price of one. :lol: I had a buddy in high school, at a time when someone by the initials of LBJ was POTUS, and was busy giving speeches proclaiming "we'll win this war no matter how long, or how many troops it takes" at a time when we were being drafted and sent to the jungles by the boat/airplane-load, leaving our beautiful young wives, children, and sweethearts, and our parents and siblings behind with our broken hearts. I remarked to my buddy about the anguish such a cruel statement causes, and his inane admonishment remark to me was: "The president is the father of our country, and we should always obey him, and never criticize him.". I didn't respond. Even though I had always understood that General George Washington was the only person ever nicknamed the FOTC.
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

In what later came to be called 'the smoke filled room' Republican leaders decided to appoint Warren Harding as their 1919 nominee for President largely on apperance.

According to Party Boss Harry Daughtery "Harding looks like a President."
Regards,
Squire
HAC

Post by HAC »

the Right Honorable Jean Chretien on the RCMP using pepper spray on protesters:
"Pepper spray? I like pepper on my steak"

Although there was a man who knew how to handle protestors..(with his own hands)
(aka, the 'Shawinigan Handshake")
Cheers
Harold
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

How about Pierre Trudeau when he was Prime Minister of Canada on being asked by a reporter if he had told striking taxis drivers to F*** off, he replied that he had said "Fuddle duddle".
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

HAC wrote:the Right Honorable Jean Chretien on the RCMP using pepper spray on protesters:
"Pepper spray? I like pepper on my steak"

Although there was a man who knew how to handle protestors..(with his own hands)
(aka, the 'Shawinigan Handshake")
Cheers
Harold
And let's not forget his facing down with a soap stone carving in hand a burglar in the middle of the night who had broken into the Prime Minister's residence. An interesting bloke who called himself "le petit gars de Shawinigan", or in English "little guy from Shawinigan". Early in life he suffered an attack of Bell's Palsy, which partially paralysed the left side of his face. He is reputed to have said in his first Liberal leadership campaign that he was a politician "who doesn't talk out of both sides of his mouth".
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

A slogan attributed to more than one politican:

"Vote their rascals out and vote your rascals in."
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Rufus wrote:... An interesting bloke who called himself "le petit gars de Shawinigan", or in English "little guy from Shawinigan". Early in life he suffered an attack of Bell's Palsy, which partially paralysed the left side of his face. He is reputed to have said in his first Liberal leadership campaign that he was a politician "who doesn't talk out of both sides of his mouth".
Mr Chretien surely provided some character with his politics. Do you suppose he contributed to the popularity of UFC in Quebec??? . :wink:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

A couple of gems from LBJ:

"No we didn't steal that election. We had a plan in place of course but turns out we got enough votes."

"We bought that sombitch and he didn't stay bought."
Regards,
Squire
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Speaking of Canadian prime ministers, I remember when John Turner was photographed, apparently indicating to a woman that she should enter the door before him by placing his hand on her rear end.

When asked about it, he said, "I've always been a tactile politician."
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
HAC

Post by HAC »

GA Russell wrote:Speaking of Canadian prime ministers, I remember when John Turner was photographed, apparently indicating to a woman that she should enter the door before him by placing his hand on her rear end.

When asked about it, he said, "I've always been a tactile politician."
Ah well, we all forget about Turner.. And with good reason..
Cheers
Harold
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

"Stand up Chuck, let 'em see 'ya."

Vice President Joe Biden speaking to a man in a wheelchair.
Regards,
Squire
Dapper Dad

Post by Dapper Dad »

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

George W Bush
Eric