any IPA fans?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
jtpca

Post by jtpca »

Not sure if this one sells south of the 49th, though Tree Brewing (Kelowna, BC) makes an exceptional IPA.

http://www.treebeer.com/113/143/126/

IPA creates an interesting range of intensity from brewery to brewery. Some seem to chime closer to a lager than what many feel is a true IPA.
Jason

There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know. - Truman
SRD

Post by SRD »

Had some Bell's Two Hearted. Outstanding.
Dave
nteeman

Post by nteeman »

OK, as a former beer lover turned red wine drinker -- my Doctor recommended that I start drinking some hops heavy beer after my second bout with kidney stones. No problem!

I have been enjoying Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Harpoon IPA, and Four In Hand IPA. So far I haven't met an IPA I didn't like.

:lol:
-Neal (DE user since 1998)
I shave therefore I am

gooup

Post by gooup »

i'm not a fan of hoppy brews such as IPAs. i much prefer doube bocks, porters and the like.
Cheers,
gooup
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

I will add a couple of other IPAs that I consider quite worthy for different reasons.

The first is Brooklyn Brewery East India Pale Ale. Respect for tradition here with a very good balance of hop and malt, and classic English hops (East Kent Goldings) used instead of the citric American hops in most American IPAs.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, ignoring tradition altogether, more or less, is Pliny the Elder. I have tasted it but once: marvelous complexity despite being completely over the top in its hopping rate. Somehow, notes of pine, tangerine, toffee, and nuts all manage to play together very nicely. Robust, to say the least, but not at all one-dimensional as some heavily-hopped beers can be.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I've met Garrett Oliver, brewmaster at Brooklyn Brewery, and the man has a sound grasp of what he's about.
Regards,
Squire
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Yes, Squire, and his book, The Brewmaster's Table, is *the* book on pairing food with beer. While it's terrific read to get a primer on beer styles and flavor profiles, it also holds plenty of insight and thought-provoking commentary for experienced beer tasters.

He is a truly nice gentleman, to boot. He has made the rounds in these parts at gourmet stores and high-end beer and wine shops. I would love to spend more time talking to him.

He has not yet brewed a beer I didn't enjoy.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
paddy

Post by paddy »

yerp: sierra nevada and meantime (a london microbrewery) are favourites.
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
OtherMoe

Post by OtherMoe »

About to call it a week and walk down the basement to pull a draft glass of Boulevard APA. Probably not in my top 10, but easy & cheap for me to buy in 5.5 G kegs.
--------------------------
-Moe
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

Dave: I'm glad you enjoyed it, as well. I think it's a great example of the category.

Paddy: The Meantime Porter is really great.
Regards,
Mike
paddy

Post by paddy »

cheers mike. will give it a try.
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
OtherMoe

Post by OtherMoe »

TRBeck wrote:Yes, Squire, and his book, The Brewmaster's Table, is *the* book on pairing food with beer. While it's terrific read to get a primer on beer styles and flavor profiles, it also holds plenty of insight and thought-provoking commentary for experienced beer tasters.

He is a truly nice gentleman, to boot. He has made the rounds in these parts at gourmet stores and high-end beer and wine shops. I would love to spend more time talking to him.

He has not yet brewed a beer I didn't enjoy.

Regards,
Just received my new issues of "Brew" and Garrett is on the cover:

http://www.shavemyface.com/gallery/disp ... =811&pos=0
--------------------------
-Moe
e d o

Post by e d o »

I'm very fond Pliny and the other Russian River variants on the style. Firestone is quite good and has won at least a couple of golds at the GABF. Big Time in Seattle brews a few that are dear to my heart and when on the East coast I find myself opening my wallet for Long Trail and Dogfish 60. I also like Brooklyns draft but not the contract brewed bottled version. Stone and Goose Island also rate highly with me.
SRD

Post by SRD »

Just picked up a case of Smuttynose IPA and Founder's Centennial IPA.
Dave
changabang

Post by changabang »

You can get Smuttynose in Tennessee??!!! Hope you enjoy it; it's pretty good.

Wish I could get Pliny the Elder and Two Hearts and some of the other premium crafts up here on the tundra.
James Nicks
SRD

Post by SRD »

changabang wrote:You can get Smuttynose in Tennessee??!!! Hope you enjoy it; it's pretty good.

Wish I could get Pliny the Elder and Two Hearts and some of the other premium crafts up here on the tundra.
Just across the Tennessee line in Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia is Beverage World. They have the best Beer selection I have ever seen in one place. Loaded up on Founder's, Lagunita, Bell's, etc. Near 200 US microbrews and almost 100 imports. 20 are on tap to fill growlers. My first trip there last Saturday but it will not be my last. Well worth the 1 hour drive to get there.
Dave
changabang

Post by changabang »

Now I know why I've had this itch to move South the last few years. :roll:
James Nicks
nteeman

Post by nteeman »

Just had some Saranac Big Moose Ale (APA) very nice.

From their description:

Saranac Big Moose Ale is an American Pale Ale with a kick. The medium-bodied malt sweetness is balanced by a nice crisp bitterness from hand selected centennial and cascade hops. Look for a vibrant citrusy hop aroma that will leave you craving another swig!

Beer Style: American Pale Ale
Malt Selections: Pale, Caramel
Hop Selections: Centennial, Amarillo
Color: Amber
Mouthfeel / Body: Medium
Food Companions: Roast Beef, Lamb
Alcohol By Volume: 5.3%
Original Gravity: 13.5

Cheers!
-Neal (DE user since 1998)
I shave therefore I am

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hmm, right outside Chattanooga, that's on my occasional travel path.
Regards,
Squire
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Three other chaps and I used to brew our own RIPA (Roast IPA) at one of the local do-it-yourself craft brew shops. It always turned out very well and we had a blast when it came time to bottle.