Fedora in Paris

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
daniel051

Fedora in Paris

Post by daniel051 »

Gentlemen,

Could someone suggest a good place to buy a fedora in Paris?

Regards,
Daniel
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

Some useful suggestions here, but they're a couple of years old & I don't know how current he is.

http://palpatine42.free.fr/blog/post/20 ... au-a-Paris

But verb. sap., avoid Borsalino. Expensive rubbish for label-devotees. They're not durable, don't hold their shape, likely as not have a plastic sweatband and, all in all, you'd be better wearing an old sock on your noggin.
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
SRD

Post by SRD »

I just order an Art Fawcett creation from Vintage Silhouettes before I left.
Dave
daniel051

Post by daniel051 »

Thank you for your replies.

Michael, I came across that site before posting. He mentions some nice places, but none of them had what I was looking for. Your comment on Borsalino hats is interesting. I was under the false impression that they were amongst the best available.

Regards,
Daniel
wenestvedt

Post by wenestvedt »

Can you search the Fedora Lounge forum pages? I bet you don't even need to make a post: this is a common question about many areas.

http://thefedoralounge.com/

- Will
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

daniel051 wrote:I was under the false impression that they [Borsalinos] were amongst the best available.

Regards,
Daniel
They were, once. Like Sabatier knives. Now they're just another "luxury brand". I have one I bought in Spa (Belgium) at a small-town hatter in 1988 and it's still beautiful. One I bought in Rome, at a damn-fool price in a glitzy shop in a glitzy street down from the sort of hotel stayed in by people who ask American Express to recommend a hotel. It's dreadful. Shapeless, soggy, uneven felt and a synthetic sweatband. They've stamped their name on the ribbon, which is idiotic. They ought to have stamped a competitor's name on it. On the other hand, Guera still do some nice hats which you should be able to get hold of in Paris. I used to live next to a hatter there, but he's long since retired and headed to the Côte d'Azur.
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis