What music are you listening to lately?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

and

Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Wendell, she's no Amy Winehouse lyric-wise, but in interviews and on stage (see the Live at The Royal Albert Hall DVD), she'll drop the F-bomb in a heartbeat. I'm always amused that her huge singing voice and squeaky little Cockney speaking voice come out of the same person.
Jim
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Kyle76 wrote:Wendell, she's no Amy Winehouse lyric-wise, but in interviews and on stage (see the Live at The Royal Albert Hall DVD), she'll drop the F-bomb in a heartbeat. I'm always amused that her huge singing voice and squeaky little Cockney speaking voice come out of the same person.
I have never really gotten the craze around Amy Winehouse -- not sure why, I just don't get her style, I suppose.

Adele's upbringing, background and speaking voice (love the rough and ready cockney) suggest the typical yabo's girlfriend. But then you see what is a very pretty young woman who is incredibly comfortable in her own skin and has no issues letting people know that, and you realize that she is something very, very different from the aforementioned stereotype.

I gotta admit that not only do I think her voice may be the best thing to hit the airwaves in a very long time, I also admire her ability to push back on silly issues driven by the media such as how body-type contributes to your talent. Leona Lewis had a great voice, and then Simon Cowell decided she needed to loose a bunch of weight to be more sell-able and then she went down that road of "handlers" deciding what she was to be. Haven't heard anything of value from her since her first album. None of that trash for Adele - but then she has the voice, and song-writing skills to flip people off if she doesn't agree with them. Good on ya lass.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

I really think Amy had a great talent and a unique style that unfortunately never fully developed because of her addiction. The shows she did halfway sober were very good, and a few of her songs, like Take the Box from her first album and Tears Dry on Their Own from her second, were, to me, as good as Adele at her best. As always, YMMV. It's a shame we rarely got a glimpse of her at her best.

I do admire Adele and hope she remains grounded and productive -- and healthy. Her voice seems to have lost a bit of power. I fear we'll not hear her really belting out the high notes she hit on 21.
Jim
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Kyle76 wrote:...

I do admire Adele and hope she remains grounded and productive -- and healthy. Her voice seems to have lost a bit of power....
It won't help that she is a smoker in the long run either. But we will enjoy what we can for now.
Wendell

brothers

Post by brothers »

Yesterday I bought Leonard Cohen's recent CD, Old Ideas. It's a work of art.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Araner

Post by Araner »

Reliving my highschool days today:

Live Johnny Winter And

If this album doesn't get your blood pumping, you're already dead!

Mike
Araner

Post by Araner »

Yesterday I started the day with Johnny Winter, today I’m starting out with his brother Edgar Winter by playing “Winter Blues”.

This album features collaborations with: Leon Russell, Dr. John, Johnny Winter, Eddie Money, Rick Derringer, and the Legendary White Trash Horns.

This music and a hot cup of coffee is all I need to get the day started in the right direction.

Mike
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Picked up Rush Gold for a good price at HMV on the weekend. I had forgotten how unbelievably good Neil Peart is on the drums.
Wendell

RazorRamone

Post by RazorRamone »

Any fellow Tragically Hip fans?

Always evolving. Admittedly, I prefer their older "rock" music, though do appreciate their softer eclectic music too. I could easily pick 20 songs but here is a decent cross section:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGRNEJiD3PY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-WBZMRF ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49rVCzPyBAM&ob=av2e

Canadiana for my generation.
jtpca

Post by jtpca »

RazorRamone wrote:Any fellow Tragically Hip fans?

Always evolving. Admittedly, I prefer their older "rock" music, though do appreciate their softer eclectic music too. I could easily pick 20 songs but here is a decent cross section:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGRNEJiD3PY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-WBZMRF ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49rVCzPyBAM&ob=av2e

Canadiana for my generation.
+1

This compilation gets regular rotation on my playlist:

Jason

There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know. - Truman
dosco

Post by dosco »

jww wrote:Picked up Rush Gold for a good price at HMV on the weekend. I had forgotten how unbelievably good Neil Peart is on the drums.
Indeed.

Have you watched the VH1 documentary on Rush? Very interesting ... despite the fact that I love their music, I learned a lot.
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Re: Rush -- love the music, and as a former drummer, Neil Peart is a god. But, I just find Geddy Lee's vocals grating.
Jim
brothers

Post by brothers »

ShadowsDad wrote:Well, I was on youTube the other night and listened to Chris De Burghs "Lady in Red", Nenas "99 Red Balloons", Berlins "Take my breath away", and ended up with Sinead O'Connors "Nothing Compares 2U".

Phenominal songs all.

The list of what I don't listen to is shorter than what I do listen to. If it involves pant waist lines near the knees or most jazz and blues I pretty much don't listen to it (there are exceptions here). I love classical, Enya, Moody Blues, the list is way too long.
Good points Brian, in my case, for example, I like Slim Harpo and Hank Williams (both Sr. and Jr.), and Jerry Lee Lewis. Not to mention Leonard Cohen, whose newest album "Old Ideas" is a work of genius in my opinion. (It's on loan to my son at the moment.)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Quarterstick

Post by Quarterstick »

brothers wrote:... Leonard Cohen, whose newest album "Old Ideas" is a work of genius in my opinion. (It's on loan to my son at the moment.)
I was very pleased to see he put out a new album. Don't own it, but what I heard was fantastic.

Thank you all for some leads on things I have not heard. I always enjoy new to me music.

Here is one of my favorites, Neko Case.

http://www.nekocase.com/music/2006/02/b ... .html#more
Last edited by Quarterstick on Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy

An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and you have a dime.
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

This past week I've been listening to discs 1 and 2 of Sonny Rollins - The Complete Prestige Recordings. Great stuff!
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
celestino

Post by celestino »

Andres Segovia, especially his Bach solo work.

City and Colour (aka Dallas Green)

Junip (aka Jose Gonzalez)

Boozoo Bajou (instrumental, mixing)
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

Great posts in this thread! You guys have wide ranging musical tastes. Today I was listening to Bill Evans "Portrait in Jazz".
Rich
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

I have spent the week listening many times to the new album by Tim Berne called Snakeoil.

He is in the midst of a national tour supporting the album (or does the album support the tour???).
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Picked up Adele's combo disc pack of her Royal Albert Hall performance in Walmart the other day. I had chosen not to purchase it as there was a language warning on the initial bluray and CD pack -- but this had a big "edited for mature language" label on it - and I grabbed it up before I could blink. It is an outstanding all-round performance - her voice is simply not like anything you hear anywhere else. Hope she takes better care of her voice though -- heavy smoker, so I hear, and already has had vocal chord surgery once -- scary stuff at 21. But man, oh man, what a set of pipes this kid has -- oh wow!!!

Wendell