What music are you listening to lately?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
RazorRamone

What music are you listening to lately?

Post by RazorRamone »

I have been following The Black Keys - a throwback rock duo that introduced me to Junior Kimbrough's style of blues music.

I have been listening to The Black Keys' Chulahoma (The Songs of Junior Kimbrough) and I have played a track nearly every day for the past 2 weeks. Ironically (or perhaps predictably), this album was critically acclaimed but did not receive significant media attention.

IMO, The Black Keys take on Kimbrough's Northern Mississippi blues music is amazing. It has become one of my favourite albums.

I am always interested to hear of others' musical tastes or perhaps a hidden gem of an album.

RR
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

My musical tastes vary widely and are very inclusive of many genres and styles. Lately I've been listening to '50s and '60s jazz alot. My most recent listen was "The Cat" by Jimmy Smith. This album features big band backup for Smith's amazing organ playing. Recorded in 1964.
Rich
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Yesterday afternoon it was Beethoven's 6th symphony which I haven't heard in years.
Regards,
Squire
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

Like Rich (and many other SMFers, I presume), my musical tastes vary widely. After seeing them perform on Saturday Night Live, I tracked down two albums by Bon Iver on Spotify and have been enjoying their recent, self-titled album. I also like Coldplay's latest offering with Xylo Myloto.

On other days, I'll tend to go far more old-school and fire up some of the great Baroque or Romantic organ/orchestral compositions, especially of a liturgical nature. It isn't hard to imagine Napoleon stomping around Europe while listening to Haydn's Missa in angustiis (the "Nelson Mass").
Regards,
Mike
rsp1202

Re: What music are you listening to lately?

Post by rsp1202 »

RazorRamone wrote:I have been following The Black Keys - a throwback rock duo that introduced me to Junior Kimbrough's style of blues music. . . .
I thought the name familiar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFwqqzFUHR8
Ron
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Over the weekend I went to Spotify, and listened to Charlie Parker - The Complete Savoy and Dial Masters.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
Persius

Post by Persius »

Another man with very catholic tastes here - recently it has been Wagner's Walkure (Solti) and Led Zep's Physical Graffiti.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Yessongs today while driving in my suv. But lately I have been on at anything from Tony Bennett (none of his duets albums), Eric Carmen, James Taylor (and Carole King), Al Stewart, Rod Stewart, Mormon Tabernacle Choir, The Band Perry, Lady Antebellum, Eric Clapton and several classical collections I own.

Yes - I am all over the map.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Heard Adele last night on the Grammys and gonna go get wife the 21 album tonight.

With satellite radio, I get the new wave, the 70's, 80's and 90's, classic vinyl, classic rock, country, contemporary christian, dr. laura, ESPN PTI, lots of stuff
Last edited by Sam on Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Sam wrote:Heard Adele last night...
Incredible voice - and I have to admit I kind of like her 'who cares if I don't look like a model' attitude as well, even if it is somewhat rebellious. The music world can use some normal looking folks in my opinion. ymmv.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
giammi

Post by giammi »

Mostly listening to Royalty Free music on Jamendo.
Giammi

Camminare sul filo del rasoio
Quarterstick

Post by Quarterstick »

I just unearthed a big chunk of my music collection, so this thread is timely. If you missed him in the 60’s or his resurgence of the mid 90’s, let me introduce you to Esquivel!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6ZGq-rNudk
Andy

An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and you have a dime.
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Sam, go ahead and get "19" to go with "21." And you might want to also spring for Adele's live album. Your wife will probably want it, too. Great Valentine's idea. She really is a tremendous talent, although I despair of what I heard at the Grammys because either her voice is not back to 100% or it has acquired a more throaty maturity that is different in nature. I look forward to her next endeavor. Unlike Amy, I think we can count on decades of music to come.
Jim
brothers

Post by brothers »

Unfortunately, I've been listening to "I will always love you" incessantly for about 3 days now. I was burned out on that song about 15 years ago, and now I guess I'll have to listen to it a couple hundred more times until, I suppose, after the funeral, if I'm lucky. If the question was what music would I rather be listening to, instead, the answer is all of the above. I'll take whatever you guys are listening to, any time.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
nolawis

Post by nolawis »

Pink Floyd Animals
Fair winds and following seas.
GregPQ

Post by GregPQ »

The Yoga channel on Pandora. Like you've died and gone to Heaven, and I mean that in a good way.

Greg
Fiat lux, et facta est lux. Que la lumière soit, et la lumière fut. Let there be light, and there was light.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Well, I was on youTube the other night and listened to Chris De Burghs "Lady in Red", Nenas "99 Red Balloons", Berlins "Take my breath away", and ended up with Sinead O'Connors "Nothing Compares 2U".

Phenominal songs all.

The list of what I don't listen to is shorter than what I do listen to. If it involves pant waist lines near the knees or most jazz and blues I pretty much don't listen to it (there are exceptions here). I love classical, Enya, Moody Blues, the list is way too long.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
GregPQ

Post by GregPQ »

The Yoga channel on Pandora. Like you've died and gone to Heaven, and I mean that in a good way.

Greg
Fiat lux, et facta est lux. Que la lumière soit, et la lumière fut. Let there be light, and there was light.
RazorRamone

Re: What music are you listening to lately?

Post by RazorRamone »

RSP1202: Thanks. I did not know...
Araner

Post by Araner »

Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass, The Baja Marimba Band, Frank Sinatra, Cal Tjader, Ramsey Lewis Trio, Laurindo Almeida, Antonio Carlos Jobim, Sergio Mendes & Brasil 66, Booker T. & the MGs...

And, of course, The Beatles!

Mike