Does anyone enjoy a Manhattan?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Kyle76

Does anyone enjoy a Manhattan?

Post by Kyle76 »

The Wall Street Journal had an interesting article about this alternative to the martini, which has piqued my interest. Simple (just three ingredients) yet complex with many options for those three. It was described as "liquid jazz." Who wouldn't like that?
Jim
druphus

Post by druphus »

My mother drank manhattans. I find them too sweet!
Regards,
Andy
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Do you remember how she made them?
Jim
GregPQ

Post by GregPQ »

Bourbon and sweet vermouth is certainly sweeter than gin and dry vermouth. Of course many prefer Canadian whiskey. Or rye, which seems to be making a comeback.

Then there's the perfect manhattan, which involves sweet and dry vermouth, maybe loosing the cherry in the process.

I've never had Angostura bitters around, which is a classic ingredient, and would maybe take the edge off all that sweetness?

A Manhattan could never be confused with an IV drip (like many a martini).

Greg
Fiat lux, et facta est lux. Que la lumière soit, et la lumière fut. Let there be light, and there was light.
druphus

Post by druphus »

Mom wasn't much of a drinker and would mainly order them as a cocktail in fancy bars.

When we made them for her on special occasions it was- whisky, sweet vermouth and bitters.
Regards,
Andy
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

My favorite cocktail for quite some time, I like to use Crown Royal Canadian whiskey and like it either on the rocks in an old fashioned glass or poured and strained in a martini glass both with a cherry.
Good shaving,

Gary
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

There are lots of options to control sweetness, from the vermouth to the liquor to the bitters. Even the cherry. I like the idea of rye. I think I'll pick up a bottle.
Jim
Dexterous

Post by Dexterous »

Manhattans are my usual cocktail when dining out. I believe the original recipe for Manhattans included rye, although, recently, most of the restaurants I frequent automatically reach for the bourbon bottle.

For those who want a dryer Manhattan, Bourbon makes the drink less sweet. I have had dry Manhattans but I don't enjoy them much. It is possible to make a perfect Manhattan using both sweet and dry vermouth and garnishing with a twist. Doubling the dash of Angostura bitters also tones down the sweetness but don't overdue.

I usually use cheap rye from Jim Beam or Wild Turkey for Manhattans. Lately, I've discovered Bulleit Rye. This one of the few ryes I drink neat or on the rocks. I don't use it for mixed drinks.
Last edited by Dexterous on Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Detroit - You wouldn't last a week here.
My Blog - shaving product reviews and more
stanmog

Post by stanmog »

1 part Carpano Antica Vermouth
2-3 parts rye (Russels preferred) or bourbon
1 Luxardo cherry
Bitters: I like several dashes, sometimes Orange bitters instead of Angostura

I like it on the rocks, but stirred with ice then strained works too.

Regards,
Stan
RazorRamone

Post by RazorRamone »

This has been a good recipe for me:

CLASSIC MANHATTAN

- - 2 ounces rye whisky, preferably Alberta Springs
- - 1 ounce red vermouth
- - 3 to 4 dashes of Angostura bitters
- - 1 to 2 maraschino cherries

Cheers,

RR
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I like a perfect Manhattan: equal parts of red and white vermouth, two parts Canadian Club whisky, a dash or two of Angostura bitters and a maraschino cherry.
brothers

Post by brothers »

stanmog wrote:1 part Carpano Antica Vermouth
2-3 parts rye (Russels preferred) or bourbon
1 Luxardo cherry
Bitters: I like several dashes, sometimes Orange bitters instead of Angostura

I like it on the rocks, but stirred with ice then strained works too.

Regards,
Stan
The version made with orange sounds pretty darn good right now.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
merkri

Post by merkri »

Manhattans are sort of an heirloom in my family. It's one of the drinks they have at gatherings, etc. I definitely have a soft spot for them.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I haven't had one in years, but I've made plenty for my FIL.

2 parts rye, 1 part sweet vermouth. He dispensed with the cherry and bitters, so did I when I joined him. It's an interesting drink. Maybe it's time to mix another, or so.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
GregPQ

Post by GregPQ »

What is the taste difference between rye and bourbon?
Fiat lux, et facta est lux. Que la lumière soit, et la lumière fut. Let there be light, and there was light.
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

On the advice of a college professor some 40+ years ago I began drinking a manhattan when it was proper to order a drink while dining with clients. Probably the best thing I learned in college! 8)

Liked the drink but not really that much. Then a cousin of mine who did some work behind a couple bars in Pittsburgh near the Pitt campus suggested that I go with a bourbon Manhattan using Old Grand Dad bourbon and that I get it on the rocks. He was right, I enjoy this drink now and usually order it when the wife and I are out for a very nice dinner.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum