Any Belgian beer recommendations?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
GregPQ

Any Belgian beer recommendations?

Post by GregPQ »

I've enjoyed Duvel mostly. I might want to branch out a bit, but am a bit leary of the fruit-flavored Belgians.

What are some other non-flavored Belgian beers I might be likely to come across at my local Whole Foods?

Greg
Fiat lux, et facta est lux. Que la lumière soit, et la lumière fut. Let there be light, and there was light.
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Leffe - my favorite beer from Belgium.
Good shaving,

Gary
Persius

Post by Persius »

+1 on Leffe - enjoying one now ...
GregPQ

Post by GregPQ »

At whole foods. Just got some leffe.
Greg
Fiat lux, et facta est lux. Que la lumière soit, et la lumière fut. Let there be light, and there was light.
aircraft_electrician

Post by aircraft_electrician »

Chimay, brewed by Trappist monks in Belgium is one of my favorites. They brew 3 commonly available ales, Red (Premiere), Blue (Grande Reserve) and White (Triple). There is also one that is brewed only for the monks themselves and their visitors, called Golden. This one is not commercially available outside of the monastery, but there are black market sources.
A razor is a good deal like a gun, much depends on the man behind it - paraphrased from John Philip Sousa

ALWAYS wear a helmet when on 2 wheels; a helmet saved my life on 1Oct2007!
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

There are so many different types of beer and many different uses for the beverage.

Don't shy away from the fruit beers. They make a great "light" dessert. They also aren't merely flavored with fruit (to me that can imply flavoring (real or artificial) only), they are made from fruit.

Every time I've served one for dessert it has been well received by everyone. They are delicious if used correctly.

If I could have remembered the name I'd have told you of Chimay also.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
GregPQ

Post by GregPQ »

Thanks for all the feedback. Currently on my 2d Leffe and I agree, very easy to like...

I had a Chambly from Unibroue (Quebec). Does this sound anything like a Belgian chimay?:

Greg
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Greg,

From Unibroue I also enjoy Blanche de Chambly as well as the Ephemere Apple which has a nice hint of green apple.

Cheers!
Good shaving,

Gary
Quarterstick

Post by Quarterstick »

Unibroue is definitely Belgian inspired, but I am not sure the Blonde de Chambly is like any of the Chimays. I have not had a bad one yet, but my favorite is Maudite.

Also brewed outside of Belgium, but excellent are the beers of Brewery Ommegang. Some of their beers should be avialable at Whole foods.

From Belgium itself, any of the Trappist beers are recommended, but I favor Rochefort and Westmalle.

Also, look for Delirium Tremens. Whole Foods should have it and it is a wonderful beer.

Just remember many of these are heavy hitters compared with typical beer and they tend to be very smooth.
Andy

An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and you have a dime.
SRD

Post by SRD »

My favorite that is readily available is Rochefort 10 followed very closely by St. Bernardus 12 abt. I did recently score a couple of Westvleteren 12 in a trade. That beer is fabulous. I don't know for sure that it is the best beer in the world as is claimed because I have not tasted all the beers yet, but I will tell you it is the best beer that I have ever tasted and by a wide margin.
Dave
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

My choice is Unibroue Trois Pistoles.
Regards,
Squire
RazoRock

Post by RazoRock »

Unibroue are made in the Belgian style and are truly excellent

My favorite Belgian beer is a Rocheforte 10 with some age on it; they aren't always easy to find though.

St Bernardus Abt 12 is a great winter beer as well.
RonCall

Post by RonCall »

SRD wrote: St. Bernardus 12 abt. I did recently score a couple of Westvleteren 12 in a trade. That beer is fabulous.
In fact both beers where made less then a mile apart with the same recipe until recently. The St. Bernardus is commercially available, the Westvleteren not (you have to go to the monastery to get some).

http://beer.made.in/Belgium/list.htm (list is not complete but gives a idea)

greetings from belgium :wink:
Persius

Post by Persius »

mmm - forgot Chimay. That's lovely too.

I used to really like Hoegaarden, but I have seriously come to dislike this beer - a bit over flavoured with botanicals for me.

Not Belgian, but if you like proper continental beer, I think that Franziskaner Hefe Weissbier is must. It was hard to get hold of it here in the UK until recently, but now is even in some of our supermarkets. Hopefully equally available over the pond. It has the yeast etc in the bottom of the bottle, so you need to swill a little of the liquid around at the end of pouring to get that out, but is worth it as it really adds to the drinking experience.
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I also enjoy Chimay. Last time I had some though was sitting at the piano bar in Belagio and people watching. A cheap but acceptable to me substitute is Fat Tire Belgian style ale. It is made somewhere in Colorado I think.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

Trader Joe's brings out a annual belgian ale for Christmas. This year wasexcelent and I squirreled 3 bottles away. they claim it will mature for up to 2 years safely. I've never been disappointed in the vintages.
Persius

Post by Persius »

KAV wrote: they claim it will mature for up to 2 years.
That's what I call the very definition of self-control
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

The 'trick' is to have a modest variety of potables. My wine cellar ( floor of my clothing closet) has just enough to cover any social needs.
The irony is I've financed it by lugging middens of discarded COORS :-B bottles and aluminum cans to the recycler center :lol:
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

What does Hercule Poirot drink?
Jim
KAV

Post by KAV »

In the Suchet series Inspector Japp shows up for dinner with two bottles of beer because Poirot serves only sherry and dinner wines.