Think I Finally Cracked the Code...

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
jww
Woolly Bully

Think I Finally Cracked the Code...

Post by jww »

.... on weight loss and weight management.

In the past 8 years or so, I have been content to allow my body size to grow slowly over time -- and blamed my skiing accident where I blew my knee apart in 2005, for my "inability" to be as active as I should be. Just before Christmas during my annual physical, my doctor kindly suggested that I was far too heavy for a man of my height and age.

To add to this, my wife has always struggled with body perceptions of her own, and so as a family the three of us still at home (daughter of 21) all decided that we would support each other in an all-out effort to attack our bulges.

Today, I am ecstatic to announce that since January 9, I have dropped 27.5 lbs, 3 notches on my belt, and more than a full size in pants. What was the secret you ask???? OK, so I don't actually hear anyone asking, but I'll tell you anyway. My wife had heard from several friends about a weight management plan that they had achieved very good results with --- it's the 17-day Diet by Dr. Rick Moreno and it not only works, but is actually a sustainable lifestyle change without feeling that you are starving -- although I admit that I did have sugar and carb withdrawal headaches for the first week but they only lasted from day 3 to around day 7.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

17 days but you've been doing it since Jan. 9? :lol: (sorry, had to tease you a tiny bit.)

Seriously, congrats! I've been struggling with "middle life" (*cough*) weight gain myself. :(
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Thanks -- it was the message from my doctor that really put me in line --- but without the support of the cross-family model, this wouldn't have happened.
Wendell

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Good job on the weight loss Wendell

Whenever I get the urge to try lose weight i do the obvious goog search and two that i could live with (i think) always show up in the top 4; Mediterranean diet and the Dash diet

When i finally succumb i will let you know how it worked out :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Quarterstick

Post by Quarterstick »

Good show Wendell!

This is timely as I have just gotten back on the wagon after having fallen off from a previous and mighty successful weight loss. I do not try to do anything too dramatic as I know it would be an exercise in frustration for me. Slow and steady, don't eat so much and cut back on all the not so good for me stuff. You are correct that a real change is key and it is easy to fall into old patterns if things get hectic. Stay vigilant and continued success.
Andy

An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and you have a dime.
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

Way to go Wendell, I'm happy for you. :)
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

=D>
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
ZethLent

Post by ZethLent »

Congratulations!

I think most of us struggle with weight at some point in our life and it is good that you have confronted it in this ever larger world.

Good job for getting there and best of luck maintaining the weight loss level.
笑う門に福来る。
brothers

Post by brothers »

Wendell, you're setting a good example. It sounds like a sensible plan you've adopted.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Well done Wendell. At the risk of raining on your parade, the true test is whether or not you are able to keep the weight off over the next several years. I lost 25 pounds by following a modified Weight Watchers plan I put together . It's nearly 6 years now and I'm maintaining the lower weight and no I don't and never did go to WW for weigh- ins or consultations. Key to my success so far is that I have significantly increased my physical activity: I work out at the Y with a personal trainer twice a week for 1 1/4 hours each time, I walk every day, I fence at least once a week, ride a bike in the good weather and X-country ski or snowshoe in the winter if we have snow (I was pretty well SOL this winter in this latter regard). Keep up the good work Wendell.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Understood -- I never went longer than one or two weeks before with diets. Part of that was my activity levels kept much of my weight gain at bay, and part of it was a faster metabolism when I was younger. Making it through more than 2 months is miraculous for me -- so while I understand I am not "there" yet, the notion of actually cracking the code was a big deal for me.
Wendell

Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Any link to this diet that you recommend?
95%

Post by 95% »

I'm skeptical of diets because there are so many of them and they subject the dieter to more pain and deprivation than are necessary. A sure-fire way to lose weight is to eat what you want, but less of it. For example, if you enjoy two eggs with four strips of bacon and two slices of toast, simply cut the portions in half. One egg with two strips and one slice will do you fine, and you'll still enjoy your breakfast. Such an obvious solution is unheard of, however, because it lacks the scientific malarkey that accompanies commercial dieting regimes, and there's no money it.

But pay no attention to me, Wendell. You're doing just fine on your present path.
Porter
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I would think that cutting way back on simple carbs would make a big difference by itself. They offer calories without enough nutrients, and it's too easy to eat large quantities without getting any "stop" signals from the body.
sgtrecon212

Post by sgtrecon212 »

The whole family should be commended... Well done, and a tough campaign.

I didn't start to gain weight until I reached my 40s. I could never be considered a large person.. 5'5" and about 140-145. But the problem I face is that being slight allows gained weight to be noticed right away.

Even the male of the species can develop a body image issue, I know I have. As I've gotten older, the grey hair has taken over, and I certainly don't need one more "thing" bugging me in my old age. So, when I heal from this gall bladder surgery and the doc gives the ok, I plan to hit the weights again and re-fire the pushups.
Steve
______
Go Cubbies
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Sam wrote:Any link to this diet that you recommend?
http://www.the17daydiet.com/

I have to admit I have been on more diets --- check that, my wife has been on more diets than I can remember -- I just go along until I am bored or dissatisfied. This time, however, I seriously am happy with the sustainability of this eating regimen - because it's basically smart eating with aerobic exercise. We are eating less bread, but haven't cut it out entirely. In fact, I find that some days I simply don't eat near as much as I could if I wanted to --- because I no longer want to. I still get cravings, for sure, but they are totally manageable now and I know what works for me. Like last weekend, during the NCAAs, I had some combos (my all-time favourite junk food) and a Shamrock shake from McD's (the shake was a serious reward for my loss). Remeber though, I have been faithful to this since Jan 9 - cheating is almost non-existent, and that's important, I think.

I don't want a beach body, and have no intention of swearing off all the stuff I like to have. But - I also know that just putting food into my mouth because I think I want it is not a good thing long-term either. I thought that once I got down just under 200lbs that I would be quite satisfied. Instead, I actually found myself less interesting in pigging out on whatever and found that I was quite happy with the way the plan works for me. My current total weight loss is just shy of 30lbs.

Forget all the hype on the site - the book is worth purchasing but that's my opinion. ymmv.

I will say, though, that kefir smoothies and Dr Mike's power cookies are what got me through the hardest times.
Wendell