Yoga anyone?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Yoga anyone?

Post by Sam »

Winter over, and at age 52, weight management is an issue. Keep telling myself, more water, less Diet Cokes. Hot tea did not do it. WIth psoriasis, my psoriatic arthritis is acting up a bit. Middle of the day, mostly in the middle finger of my right, writing hand.

Been thinking yoga might be great for flexibility and some weight loss goals. though I would ask around in here some.
paddy

Post by paddy »

i can think of better activities for time spent if weight loss is your main goal, but yoga has lots of other benefits, so go for it. no harm in trying.
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Paddy: Weight loss, yes, but unless it is some weight training using my own body, going to a gym is not practical. I have a treadmill at home and my wife wants to resume walking but I am thinking flexibility issues with my arthritis
LouisIII

Post by LouisIII »

Sam,
It seems Yoga would be great for your health overall. After a while maybe you can start walking or even cycling or swimming. Weightloss is about calories in versus used; even if you were running hours a day your appetite would increase more or less proportionately, so there's no way around the issue of diet. Good luck.
~ Infusing the irreducibly quotidian with sensual pleasure ~
Araner

Post by Araner »

I occasionally do yoga for my back and when I feel a bit stressed. The only weight loss benefit I can see is that the yoga makes one more self-aware of the body and the shape it's in. This can lead to making better decisions on how to take care of ones self.

In other words, it won't hurt anything to give it a try and see where it takes you.

For me, real legitimate weight loss gains have come from making better choices in the foods I eat and the drinks I drink; not from exercise. I eat lots of vegetables, avoid beef, pork and processed meats, stick with whole grain pasta and brown rice, etc… I also restrict my alcohol drinking to the weekends. This reduced fat diet allows me to eat full meals and avoid portion control and starving myself. However, that’s what I do and isn’t necessarily the answer for others.

Mike

P.S. Unless your wife is onboard with dietary changes, it can be a difficult road to follow. Proper diet is a life change not a temporary way of life.
paddy

Post by paddy »

i just lost 2.5kg in 2 months (jan and feb this year) just from giving up booze. no changes to what i ate or portion size etc. it's amazing how many calories alcohol adds. that said occasionally i probably drink more than is good for me, but i do enjoy it.
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

Yoga will benefit your emotional-mental-spiritual being and make other health-wieght strategems more effective. Vet your yogi. Teachers provide a
experience from a basic exercise regime to heavy duty hindu/buddhist based world views.
I personaly have no problem mixing ( sometimes to the horror of both traditions)
Ommanepadmehum-Kristieliasum, candles and incense.
If you do, watch more Doctor Oz :roll:
Araner

Post by Araner »

This gets it done for me:

Mike
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Sam -- we are probably only a few months apart in age -- as I turn 53 in a couple of weeks. Anyway -- I echo your sentiments about age, and the body. I posted about my success with the 17-day diet plan - which once you get through the first 17 days (which really isn't too terrible, to be fair), is a very sustainable lifestyle for me.

That combined with walking has aided in my losing 27lbs so far since Jan 9. Great experience in week 1 where I dropped 10 lbs right off the bat -- which was a kick start that I so desperately needed. You may want to look into it. Our main success has been due to the fact that all in the house are doing it. Now our diet isn't really too different from before -- except that sugar is still pretty much non-existent in the plan --- but I do admit to feeling quite good physically, sleeping better, and my snoring has dissipated entirely (the biggest benefit to my wife, so I am told :wink: ).

I think you will find that if you can up your aerobic activity even by just walking 30-60 minutes a day, you'll see a difference that will be sustainable.

Not to dis yoga -- as I think you will find benefit with that as well -- but would also consider walking for additional effect.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
giammi

Post by giammi »

I used to do some hatha yoga many years ago. Still do from time to time.
As already mentioned, it's more for balance and feeling good than weight loss.

Taken with a grain of salt - a good book is Health and Yoga of Selvarajan Yesudian
Giammi

Camminare sul filo del rasoio
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

For those of you who practice yoga...How do you go about it...is there a specific program. I am looking to improve strength and agility...and also relax more.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
giammi

Post by giammi »

JayTrek wrote:For those of you who practice yoga...How do you go about it...is there a specific program. I am looking to improve strength and agility...and also relax more.

As a programm you could take the sun salutation, which consists of a sequence of hatha yoga asanas.

For relaxation I do hatha pranayama (inhale, retain it, exhale it).

Autogenic training is also good for relaxation.

I recommend taking classes with a good teacher.
Giammi

Camminare sul filo del rasoio
IanM

Post by IanM »

I watched an interview a week or so ago with a chap named Brad Friedel. Some of you across the pond may know of him, as he is from the USA.

He's currently a goalkeeper for Tottenham Hotspur and is 41 years old.

When asked how he keeps going, his answer was...

Yoga.

41 and still playing Premiership Football (Soccer). I think that's a pretty good advert.

Ian
Those who design "Fool Proof" systems often underestimate the ability of fools.
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

Ryan Giggs also attributes yoga for his being an ageless wonder for Manchester United.
IanM wrote:I watched an interview a week or so ago with a chap named Brad Friedel. Some of you across the pond may know of him, as he is from the USA.

He's currently a goalkeeper for Tottenham Hotspur and is 41 years old.

When asked how he keeps going, his answer was...

Yoga.

41 and still playing Premiership Football (Soccer). I think that's a pretty good advert.

Ian
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

de gustibus non est disputandum
LouisIII

Post by LouisIII »

Have spoken with Sam via email, apparently he has been hitting the gym pretty hard and keeps sending me pictures to prove it :shock:

~ Infusing the irreducibly quotidian with sensual pleasure ~
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Gulp .... :shock:
Wendell

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Sam's dying his hair?
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Squire wrote:Sam's dying his hair?
Yeah, I was wondering exactly the same thing. He's shorter than I imagined as well.
Wendell

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

That's probably the camera angle.
Regards,
Squire