Unto the sons

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Austin wrote:Richard, I took wood shop in junior high school and all I learned to make were ashtrays and non-tobacco pipes. :lol:
Yes, but they taught you the basics like: tie your long hippie hair back so it doesn't get caught in the bandsaw, etc.... :D
Richard
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

Sam wrote:randy: i know you wrote that one daughter was married or getting married, so tell me, did you or do you have "talks" with your son in law? my father in law is a great mechanic, and we have talked about parenting at times and religion. great guy

sam
Sam,

To be honest, I have only met Tom 3-4 times, and everytime I was at work. I do recall having nice chats with my F-N-L, and I'm sure that Tom and I will do the same, but right now he and the daughter are both in college, and when they are up for the weekend, I am working. I know that come late spring or during the summer, they will be moving either to California or back east for law school. At some point I'll get to spend time with him and my daughter. Generally, when they are in town, they run by her mother's house for a quick meal and then head out again,

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
Sue
Vendor

Post by Sue »

Dads, Don't forget to teach your daughters, we 'girls' need you too. I spent more time with Dad in the garage, than Mom in the kitchen, although I can still cook and sew. I learned that I had better not be lazy, be true to my word, always lend a helping hand, if I can't say anything nice about someone to keep my mouth shut. I know how to use most all tools; ratchets to power saws and where the oil goes in the car. If a man opens the car door for you, reach over and unlock his side while he is walking around the car. Keep your car clean, inside and out. Dress well and look your best every day, even if you are staying home. Keep your shoes looking nice. Don't wear anything wrinkled. Be nice to your brothers and they'll be nice to you. Be a good friend. Always listen carefully, don't talk too much (or heaven forbid with food in your mouth). Use your napkin and put it in your lap and keep your elbows off the table.
Sue
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

Sue wrote:Dads, Don't forget to teach your daughters, we 'girls' need you too. I spent more time with Dad in the garage, than Mom in the kitchen, although I can still cook and sew. I learned that I had better not be lazy, be true to my word, always lend a helping hand, if I can't say anything nice about someone to keep my mouth shut. I know how to use most all tools; ratchets to power saws and where the oil goes in the car. If a man opens the car door for you, reach over and unlock his side while he is walking around the car. Keep your car clean, inside and out. Dress well and look your best every day, even if you are staying home. Keep your shoes looking nice. Don't wear anything wrinkled. Be nice to your brothers and they'll be nice to you. Be a good friend. Always listen carefully, don't talk too much (or heaven forbid with food in your mouth). Use your napkin and put it in your lap and keep your elbows off the table.
Sue
Sue,

Interesting thoughts, and it's great to have a woman's perspective! My oldest was 15 when I got divorced, so my time with my younger kids has been limited. I'm not making excuses, just a fact. When you pay child support on 5 kids, you have to be wealthy or work a lot! I fall in the later category. I've tried to be an influence on all of my kids, but it's tougher iwth the younger ones since I haven't got to spend as much time with them. However, one thing I have always made sure of, as a divorced father, is that I have NEVER said anything bad about their mother (actually, I have no reason to do such) and I don't use the kids as "go-betweens". I don't refer to their mother as my "ex", but as my former spouse. I keep her on the pedestal that they see her on.

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

randy: man, i wish i could use you as a reference in my practice. after seeing the men and ladies here post, you begin to get mental images of who might be fun to have at a dinner party, who might be fun going fishing or watching a game, etc. 5 kids? wow!!!

i tell clients all the time not to downtalk the other parent because that is still the parent to that child. now sometimes, parents are not good (drugs, alcohol, depressions and mood swings, spending time away from the children with a lover, etc.) require that things be evaluated, but not much should be discussed with the children. i love parents who consult each other, swap times when beneficial, even have family dinner nights. i am blessed in that my wife has stayed with me for 21 years, and if you knew me better, you would thank her yourself, lol

Sue: i have a daughter and im not mechanical, but somehow my influence has rubbed off. she wanted to be a doctor, but since for about 2 years now, she wants to be a lawyer like me. majoring in prelaw now in college. well, she actually wants to do property law whereas i go to court. i beleive that she gets her outlook, problem solving and character from me, but her looks and sweetness from mom\

sam
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

Sam wrote: well, she actually wants to do property law whereas i go to court.
Property law litigators are far and few between, but when you need them, boy, do you need them!

Scott
OilPull

Post by OilPull »

My dad was, and is, full of little kernels of practical wisdom. I doubt he even realizes how often these little phrases and pieces of advice get permanently lodged in my head.

On mechanics:

"Never use pliers where a wrench will fit."

"Oil is always cheaper than repairs."

On running out of gas:

"It doesn't cost any more to run on the top half of the tank than the bottom."

On work:

"The job is probably bad or they wouldn't pay you to do it."

"You were hired to work, not complain. So work. Or quit."

On marriage:

"Couples who stay together have the same problems as those who get divorced -- they just don't give up."

On kids:

"They begin as loud, smelly and expensive -- and get progressively worse from there."

I don't think he was serious about that last one, but I've heard him say it more than once, so . . .

- Bryan
A desk is a dangerous place to watch the world.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

ScottS wrote:
Sam wrote: well, she actually wants to do property law whereas i go to court.
Property law litigators are far and few between, but when you need them, boy, do you need them!

Scott
scott: i dont think she wants to touch the courtroom. i do general litigation and do get into real estate disputes, either in construction cases, remodelers, or purchase of houses. my daughter went to a lakehouse of a real estate closing attorney that is twice as big as the house i live in. so i am the "wrong" kind of attorney. she does not want to argue cases. i think she would rather help Hilton Hotels close on buying hotels and things like that. i can see her being a transactional attorney. although her major is psychology and she is good at that and she is able to counsel her friends, especially on drinking

sam
nteeman

Post by nteeman »

This thread brings to mind some advice I received when I was 14 years old. At that time my family spent our summers at a bungalow resort where there was a day camp. I attended that camp from age 4 thru 13 but at 14 I was too old to be a camper yet too young to be a counselor so they gave me a job as the Head Counselor's Assistant. In this job I was having a terrible time getting along with my boss--a school principal who ran this camp for the summer. After another bad encounter with my boss one of the senior counselors, a gal about 17 years old, took me aside and gave me this advice:

"Whatever he tells you, just say yes, then do whatever you want."

I have been using this advice to get along with every boss I have had since--going on 40 years. It works great and I've never been fired from a job yet (Kaynahorah).

Of course YMMV.

:D
-Neal (DE user since 1998)
I shave therefore I am

str84ever

Post by str84ever »

Ren,

I totally agree with you regarding unlocking the door. Sadly, I'm dating a girl right now that does not reach over and unlock my door. It irritates me because I unlock her door, open it for her and then close it after she's in. Since I like many of her qualities, that one thing is something I'm just dealing with.

Rob
tonyespo
The Goldfather

Post by tonyespo »

Sue wrote:Dads, Don't forget to teach your daughters, we 'girls' need you too. I spent more time with Dad in the garage, than Mom in the kitchen, although I can still cook and sew. I learned that I had better not be lazy, be true to my word, always lend a helping hand, if I can't say anything nice about someone to keep my mouth shut. I know how to use most all tools; ratchets to power saws and where the oil goes in the car. If a man opens the car door for you, reach over and unlock his side while he is walking around the car. Keep your car clean, inside and out. Dress well and look your best every day, even if you are staying home. Keep your shoes looking nice. Don't wear anything wrinkled. Be nice to your brothers and they'll be nice to you. Be a good friend. Always listen carefully, don't talk too much (or heaven forbid with food in your mouth). Use your napkin and put it in your lap and keep your elbows off the table.
Sue
Sue, you must be pretty old. All the cars today open both doors with the click of the keyless entry.

:lol:

Before my daughter was allowed to get her drivers license she had to know how to change a flat tire, check and add oil if needed, gas the car herself, and check the tire pressure. Yes! she bitched about it, but those were my rules and it's funny how fast they learn when they want to drive the car. But MOM doesn't do it, wasn't a reason for her to not learn how to take care of her car. Her first week at college she got a flat tire and she put on the spare tire herself.
Tony Espo ( Lover of Knize )
Go for the GOLD.

Through my will power I dare to do what I want.
tonyespo
The Goldfather

Post by tonyespo »

Big Ren wrote:
tonyespo wrote: Sue, you must be pretty old.
Tony,

You have just broken one of the cardinal rules of the "Shave My Face Guide To Manhood" that explicitly states you should never make a reference to a lady's elapsed time on the Earth, as pointed out by Brother Art on page 1 of this thread. [-X

Ren
Does that mean I'm no longer DE MAN? :oops:

Would saying that she is very mature to experience cars before the invention of the keyless entry be proper? :wink:
Go for the GOLD.

Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Big Ren wrote:
tonyespo wrote: Sue, you must be pretty old.
Tony,

You have just broken one of the cardinal rules of the "Shave My Face Guide To Manhood" that explicitly states you should never make a reference to a lady's elapsed time on the Earth, as pointed out by Brother Art on page 1 of this thread. [-X

Ren
I have to agree Tony, that's a real NO-NO. Right up there with; "Do these pants make my butt look big?"

The answer is NOT, "No dear, your butt looks big on it's own".

Cliff
"Everything that can be invented, has been invented."
-Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. Office of Patents, 1899.
Gramps
Canadian Badass

Post by Gramps »

THREE DEMERIT POINTS assessed to Tony's account... :lol:
~~ Larry ~~
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

ren: that only happens if he wants to go beyond pledge status. then it is up to the moderators who gets the gold toggle

sam
tonyespo
The Goldfather

Post by tonyespo »

Sam wrote:ren: that only happens if he wants to go beyond pledge status. then it is up to the moderators who gets the gold toggle

sam
OK I have learned my lesson, THANK YOU SIR, MAY I HAVE ANOTHER?

Forget it Mark, you're NOT getting the toggle [-X

How quickly you forget that I'm the guy who gave you the Erika pictures. =P~
Go for the GOLD.

rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

tonyespo wrote:
Sam wrote:ren: that only happens if he wants to go beyond pledge status. then it is up to the moderators who gets the gold toggle

sam
OK I have learned my lesson, THANK YOU SIR, MAY I HAVE ANOTHER?

Forget it Mark, you're NOT getting the toggle [-X

How quickly you forget that I'm the guy who gave you the Erika pictures. =P~
That's the first line I can recall seeing Kevin Bacon utter in a movie!

Randy
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

ren: he was already on probation, i suggest that we extend the probation and look favorably upon the past contributions to the forum and his artistic vision in showcasing his automobiles.

sam
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

well, measure twice, cut once is a biggie

also, plan your work and work your plan.

sam