Page 1 of 3

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:21 pm
by Austin
My addition is that every man should know how to grill a steak.

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:25 pm
by AACJ
Never EVER ask a woman her age or her weight. And if she asks you to guess, THINK of your first guess and subtract by at least 10.

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:57 am
by baldchin
1. Same as Ren.
2. Always have a sharp knife handy. (Pen or pocket knife not a 3' bayonet).
3. Tools - If you buy cheap you'll buy twice.

How to light paraffin pressure stoves and Tilley lamps. I love a nice brass
Primus to this day.

Famous Dad quotations "I cut it twice and it's still too short'
When he particularly enjoys a meal or piece of home-baking: "Don't tell your mother you liked it or you'll get it every night".


Full-Windsor preferred here.

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:05 am
by FrancisDeSales
My advice, received from my own dear old Dad...

"Son, any suggestion which is prefaced by the words, 'Now, you and I are men of the world,' is to be rejected at once and without discussion. People who want you to do something honest or courteous or kind don't have to butter you up first by suggesting that you're too experienced and sophisticated to be constrained by outmoded conventions like honor and purity."

Oh, and never kiss a woman with a mouth full of snuff.

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:43 am
by rtaylor61
FrancisDeSales wrote:My advice, received from my own dear old Dad...

"Son, any suggestion which is prefaced by the words, 'Now, you and I are men of the world,' is to be rejected at once and without discussion. People who want you to do something honest or courteous or kind don't have to butter you up first by suggesting that you're too experienced and sophisticated to be constrained by outmoded conventions like honor and purity."

Oh, and never kiss a woman with a mouth full of snuff.
I always make my women abstain from dipping when on a date. :shock:

Randy

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:14 am
by rustyblade
When I was a teenager my old man told me:

1. Don't date a "young, single mother" she will end up pregnant again, and it might not belong to you.

2. Don't be a hero, it might get you killed.

3. Deny, deny, deny.

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:18 am
by rtaylor61
rustyblade wrote:When I was a teenager my old man told me:

1. Don't date a "young, single mother" she will end up pregnant again, and it might not belong to you.

2. Don't be a hero, it might get you killed.

3. Deny, deny, deny.
Richard,

Is #3 a direct result of ignoring #1?

Randy

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:35 am
by Dave T
Any job worth doing is worth doing good.

Dave T

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:02 pm
by Johnnie
My dad taught me how not to raise kids.

My older cousin taught me a lot of things, none which I can mention here.

J

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:17 pm
by murchmb
My wife and I are expecting our first child, so I've pondered this topic recently. One thing I will pass on to my son (or daughter), in spite of my wife's abhorrance of the things, is the proper respect and handling of a firearm. I don't care if he/she has any interest in them, but I want to instill a respect and understanding that will serve them when they do come into contact with them. It's sure not something they are going to learn in school, quite the opposite.

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:21 pm
by Johnnie
murchmb wrote:My wife and I are expecting our first child, so I've pondered this topic recently. One thing I will pass on to my son (or daughter), in spite of my wife's abhorrance of the things, is the proper respect and handling of a firearm. I don't care if he/she has any interest in them, but I want to instill a respect and understanding that will serve them when they do come into contact with them. It's sure not something they are going to learn in school, quite the opposite.
When is your baby due? Ours is due Feb. 22nd :shock:

J

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:38 pm
by stanmog
If you have any devices loosely attached to your belt (beeper, cell phone, etc) step away from the commode before you pull up your pants.

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:48 pm
by Gramps
I learned more from my great uncle than anyone.....

Treat every older woman as you would want your mother treated...
and every younger woman as a sister.... every woman is someone's sister, daughter, mother, etc

Everyman should know how to use a hammer a screwdriver and a wrench....

every man should know how to sharpen a knife (or str8 razor :wink: )

everyman should know how to cook and do the dishes!

"If you owe a man a days work, do it.
If you owe a man a dollar, pay it.
If you owe a man a punch in the mouth, make damn sure you do that too."

He was great man.

As for my father, I didn't do anything the same, raising my kids.....

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:53 pm
by Johnnie
This reminds me... There is a guy here in my office who is 28 years old who didn't know what a drill bit was. He was hanging a shelf in his office and he asked me what was the best way to do it. I told him grab a drill bit, drill a hole and insert a plastic anchor then mount your shelf with the screw. He justed looked at me with a dead face. I gave him $hit for a weeks.

J

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:13 pm
by ScottS
I have an uncle who I rarely spent any time with. The day before my wedding, by some quirk, I ended up spending the whole day with him. Toward evening on a drizzly day, we ended up out by the pool at the hotel.

At that time, he pointed out that sometimes it was easier to get what you need done by playing the idiot. When I asked him to clarify, he said "watch this."

We wanted to sit down by the pool, but all the chairs were wet. It had been drizzling all day, and had just stopped, and all the chairs were very obviously wet.

He went up to the attendant, and said "Do you have any dry chairs??" Now, we all knew that there were no dry chairs. It wasn't the most intelligent of questions. The attendant, of course, said "no...", adding "...but I can dry two off for you"

Lesson learned.

Scott

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:27 pm
by tonyespo
Let's see I was taught to never pee or spit into the wind.

If you screw up admit it and take your licks like a man.

Cussing makes you look stupid.

Try to learn something everyday.

My Dad is 85 and he is in very poor health now. He and Mom raised 5 boys that are all doing well in life.

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:32 pm
by rustyblade
Johnnie wrote:This reminds me... There is a guy here in my office who is 28 years old who didn't know what a drill bit was. He was hanging a shelf in his office and he asked me what was the best way to do it. I told him grab a drill bit, drill a hole and insert a plastic anchor then mount your shelf with the screw. He justed looked at me with a dead face. I gave him $hit for a weeks.

J
I am by no means a home handy-man but I do work with my hands and on industrial machines most of the working day. I have found that once you have basic knowledge of how to use tools in your hands, you can pick up almost any tool and become quickly adept with it. My dad always said, once you learn a trade it is very easy to pick up and learn other trades. The amount of guys I meet that can't even swing a hammer properly is staggering. Granted our work force is moving away from this need, but it still is a basic skill around the house.

All young men should have to take shop and all young women home economics!

My dad still swears to this day that the world would be a better place if women had to learn in school how to cook, clean, raise children and sew.

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:41 pm
by Austin
Richard, I took wood shop in junior high school and all I learned to make were ashtrays and non-tobacco pipes. :lol:

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:56 pm
by rtaylor61
Austin wrote:Richard, I took wood shop in junior high school and all I learned to make were ashtrays and non-tobacco pipes. :lol:
Andrew,

If you still have all of your appendages :shock: you learned more than you are admitting.

Randy

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:09 pm
by Sam
randy: i know you wrote that one daughter was married or getting married, so tell me, did you or do you have "talks" with your son in law? my father in law is a great mechanic, and we have talked about parenting at times and religion. great guy

sam