Off to New Orleans

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
wenestvedt

Off to New Orleans

Post by wenestvedt »

I am off to New Orleans for the weekend with my best friend. Hurray!

We're going to eat our way across town. It my first time, but he's been there before and already made the reservations. :7) (And no, we didn't know about the Final Four when we picked this date. D'oh!)

As I pack my bag, I have been thinking of Jay a lot. I wonder what he'd be doing this spring.

- Will
paddy

Post by paddy »

i went there last may and had a whale of a time. enjoy!
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
Kyle76

Re: Off to New Orleans

Post by Kyle76 »

wenestvedt wrote: We're going to eat our way across town.
There's no better place for it. The city runs on food and music. Oysters, po' boys, muffalattas, beignets, 1,000 varieties of hot sauce, red beans and rice. Something about that place produces an insatiable appetite for food and other pleasures. Have fun! I'm hungry just thinking about it.
Jim
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Enjoy the trip. And report back. There are other places to eat, Harvey's over on Lake Ponch, that don't get the publicity but are just as good. One day, I want to do the captain's table at Commander's Palace. And try the Farmer's Market - I went to try the hot sauces that you take popcorn and dip into the sauce. Scorned Woman is appropriately named!!
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Hi Will......enjoy your trip. Your thoughts about jay are touching. 235 thumbs up

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

My daughter and 3 friends were in NOLA last week, they had a great time, all but one, I guess. It seems this other young lady thought they were going to the beach! 8) Anyway, my daughter brought me a jar of salsa made with ghost peppers. I'm waiting for just the right occasion to open up this bad boy.
Gary

SOTD 99%: soaps & creams, synthetic & badger brushes, General V2 by Colonial, Kai & Schick blades, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
nolawis

Post by nolawis »

I get to visit this great city each time I set foot out of the door. Last night was oysters Bienville and softshell crab almondine at Antoine's and tonight El Gato Negro is the call. I'll either be celebrating a 'Ville win or drowning my sorrows.
Fair winds and following seas.
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

nolawis wrote:I get to visit this great city each time I set foot out of the door. Last night was oysters Bienville and softshell crab almondine at Antoine's and tonight El Gato Negro is the call. I'll either be celebrating a 'Ville win or drowning my sorrows.
Softshell crab is one of those dishes I order almost every time it is on the menu. The fresh ones have a season of about five weeks around here. I love to sauté them.
Jim
wenestvedt

Post by wenestvedt »

No softshell crabs yet, according to the waiter at Galatoire's. I ate crawfish etouffee and redfish cake and seafood stew (at Muriel's) and bread pudding and beignet (at Cafe du Monde) and Pompano Duarte and those little souffle potato puffs (at Arnaud's) and oh my lord was it all good. And yes, I had a hurricane at Pat O'Brien's.

Very nice people -- who love their city -- plus good weather, and a really amazing day spent climbing over & around & on the vehicles and artifacts of the World War II Museum (including a very special three hour tour in their garages and vault: heaven to a history nerd!).

What a great visit.
nolawis

Post by nolawis »

Next time you visit, try Antoine's for the softshell crab. They have breeders who have pretty sophisticated indoor operations, keeping their softshells in season all year. But it sounds like you had a great time nonetheless. New Orleans wasn't made to visit just once. Heck, you haven't even had the gumbo-yaya at Mr. B's yet. That's worth a visit by itself.

Nw
Fair winds and following seas.
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

Is there anyone who visits New Orleans for any length of time who does not have coffee (with chicory) and beignets at Cafe du Monde? :)

It's one of those iconic events, like enjoying a beer in a tent at Oktoberfest or a hot dog at Pink's.

Glad you had a good visit, Will!
“Time just seems to get quicker. You look in the mirror in the morning and you think, ‘I’m already shaving again!’” - Terry Jones of Monty Python's Flying Circus