The King's Ginger

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
jthomas60506

The King's Ginger

Post by jthomas60506 »

I stopped at a favorite brewpub last night, and the bartender was kind enough to let me sample a couple his favorites. I tried one that I had never even seen on the shelves. It's a rich and VERY gingery (hence the name) liqueur that, according to the bartender, is traditionally carried on foxhunts. He said it was difficult to find, but, on a whim, I stopped at our local high-end liquor store and found a bottle.

Sooo. . .for your next foxhunt (or just a nice after-dinner relaxing drink) you might give it a try.

jt
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

I discovered this a few years ago and now I always get a bottle in winter from Berry Bros. & Rudd on St James' St.

Absolutely brilliant stuff and ideal for cold, snowy nights (indoors or out).
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

who is it made by? Imported by?
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

I think it may be a bit of a challenge for us on this side of the pond to find. Google gave me this: http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archi ... ca/251903/
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
cjc15153

Post by cjc15153 »

It looks like it's infused post-distillation so you should be able to approximate it at home.

http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2011/12/d ... anton.html
--
I am Chris #6. No relation to Nikki.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Crabbie's Green Ginger Wine for me!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Wild Turkey American Honey makes a nice sipper on a cold winter's night.
Jim
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

SWMBO and I are heading over to England next week for our annual "dust-up" with the family. I'm going to be on the look out for a bottle of The King's Ginger. Of course I'll be re-stocking with TOBS and Trumpers whilst in St Peter Port, Guernsey...no VAT :D
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

Rufus wrote:SWMBO and I are heading over to England next week for our annual "dust-up" with the family. I'm going to be on the look out for a bottle of The King's Ginger. Of course I'll be re-stocking with TOBS and Trumpers whilst in St Peter Port, Guernsey...no VAT :D
It has become more popular since appearing in "The Chap" magazine a couple of years ago so I reckon any independent wine merchants (at least half decent ones) will stock it.
jthomas60506

Post by jthomas60506 »

drmoss_ca wrote:Crabbie's Green Ginger Wine for me!

Chris
Chris,

It sounds like you stole my great grandad's "cough syrup" recipe.

jt

p.s., If anyone in the Chicagoland is looking for it, I also saw a couple of bottles at Binny's, which is a liqour mart out in the burbs. They ran 40 dollars or so.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

joe mcclaine wrote:
Rufus wrote:SWMBO and I are heading over to England next week for our annual "dust-up" with the family. I'm going to be on the look out for a bottle of The King's Ginger. Of course I'll be re-stocking with TOBS and Trumpers whilst in St Peter Port, Guernsey...no VAT :D
It has become more popular since appearing in "The Chap" magazine a couple of years ago so I reckon any independent wine merchants (at least half decent ones) will stock it.
Unfortunately I couldn't find any, either in the Southampton/Winchester area or in St Peter Port, Guernsey, when we were there in late May.