40,000 additions to the family

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Persius

40,000 additions to the family

Post by Persius »

Sorry all, but I'm far too excited not to post this here. After a bit of wait, we finally got our first swarm of bees tonight, so I am now officially a beekeeper.

It is so, so fascinating watching the little critters wend their way into the hive. I can't wait to get up tomorrow and see what they are up to. I wonder how they will react to the different smells of my shaving products. Apparently some lady beekeepers have to avoid specific shampoos / conditioners / perfumes because they irritate the bees. Hopefully our bees will be cultured enough to appreciate DR Harris products ...

... watch this space.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hope it works out for you, the Harris I mean. A gentleman of my acquaintance took up beekeeping after retirement and quickly discovered they didn't like his aftershave.
Regards,
Squire
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I am very interested in reading more. I'm kicking around the idea of getting a hive or 2 next year.

Probably build my own hives, the top bar type of hive, not the Langstroth type that most folks associate with beekeeping. The top bar hive requires different methods of extraction etc, but it's no big deal, it's just different. It just seems better suited for a small scale honey producer.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Persius

Post by Persius »

Squire wrote:Hope it works out for you, the Harris I mean. A gentleman of my acquaintance took up beekeeping after retirement and quickly discovered they didn't like his aftershave.
It will ... that much, at least, is assured!
Persius

Post by Persius »

ShadowsDad wrote:I am very interested in reading more. I'm kicking around the idea of getting a hive or 2 next year.
I'd recommend it (thus far), but a training course of some kind is really useful before you get going.

Plugging into the local Association is also important (we got a swarm for nothing through them (saving over £200), and they are there for advice / support). The UK beekeepers we have met are all very nice supportive people with a great sense of humour. Much like wet shavers, you get three beekeepers in a room and you will get five opinions on any bee-related subject.
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Good for you, Persius! I hope it all goes well and it's what you expected.
Should the bees not like your shaving products, give them the discount code to one of our fine suppliers and have them pick out what they like!.... 8)

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Should the bees not like your shaving products, give them the discount code to one of our fine suppliers and have them pick out what they like!.
Post of the year!

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

Good luck with the bees. It sounds very interesting!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Persius

Post by Persius »

Bee update: I think our bees are quite discerning. They seem to like / not mind DR Harris Rose cream & Pink AS milk. They are also fine with Harris' skin food. Goo job for me! I don't want to change my shaving gear or lose my bees. The "girls" are a delight so far.

We have pollen going into the hive, which means that we have a fertile queen (so we have been told). Honey ahoy!