Identifying a presidential motor car

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
95%

Identifying a presidential motor car

Post by 95% »

My home town is Knoxville. High school classmates of mine are passing around this interesting photograph from the archives of the Knoxville News=Sentinel:

President Franklin D. Roosevelt, Gov. Prentice Cooper and Eleanor Roosevelt drive down Gay Street en route to the dedication ceremony for the Great Smoky Mountains National Park on Sept. 2, 1940.

What strikes me in the photograph is its remarkable similarity to the presidential motorcade in Dallas twenty-three years later - the open car driving down a city street, lined with cheering citizens, on a sunny fall afternoon.

My classmates are in disagreement as to the make of FDR's automobile. I say it's a Cadillac, but others think it is a Packard. Any help resolvimg this dispute would be much appreciated.
Porter
brothers

Post by brothers »

The grille indicates it's a Packard.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
95%

Post by 95% »

The 1940 Cadillac Fleetwood convertible also had a high vertical grille. If we could make out the emblem on the front of the hood, we might have our answer.
Porter
brothers

Post by brothers »

Here's a photo of the '40 Cadillac Fleetwood. Maybe the second car in the photo is a Caddy, but I'm pretty sure the other is a a Packard. The Packard is the second photo below.

Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
malocchio

Post by malocchio »

first car is a Packard
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Packard
Regards,
Squire
Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

Yeah the first car is 1940 Packard. The second car appears to be a 1938 Cadillac. I'd really need a closer look to be sure.
~Greg
Larry T

Post by Larry T »

This is from the Henry Ford Museum website;

Franklin D. Roosevelt Sunshine Special
The Sunshine Special was widely used before and during World War II to chauffeur President Roosevelt in countless public appearances. It began a more-than-50-year run of Lincolns as the "official" White House limousines.

Made: 1939
ID: 50.11.1

http://www.hfmgv.org/museum/limousines.aspx

Second car from bottom. This looks like the second car in the original post to me, not the Presidential limo. Looks like the museum has it wrong.

Larry
malocchio

packard

Post by malocchio »

I'm with Larry...the museum is in error...TOP photo : 1939 Lincoln BOTTOM photo : 1940 Lincoln

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

The Sunshine Special was built after Roosevelt's inauguration. When Pearl Harbor was bombed in 1941 the Secret Service needed a fully armored bullet proof car to transport the President to Congress for his famous 'date of infamy' speech so they used a Cadillac that the Treasury Dept. had confiscated from gangster Al Capone.

The President continued to use the Capone car until his Sunshine Special was upgraded to the same safety standards.
Regards,
Squire
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

The first Lincoln V-12 Sunshine Special was built in 1939 but heavily modified later as referenced in my post above.
Regards,
Squire
95%

Post by 95% »

Notwithstanding the above good information, I don't think the lead car in the Knoxville motorcade, the one carrying Franklin and Eleanor, is the Sunshine Special. The grille is wrong. I'm willing to go along with the Packard suggestion, though I've found no corroborating evidence that FDR used a Packard as his official car.
Porter
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

It could also be said that prior to 12-7-41 the Protective Services were more concerned with comfort and communications from the Presidential vehicle than with bomb/bullet proofing.

Could be the parade car was a loaner from the local Packard dealer.
Regards,
Squire
95%

Post by 95% »

Those are good points, Squire. In those days, the President's protective service may not have even taken the trouble to transport the main limousine by rail or truck from Washington to the hinterlands.
Porter
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

I believe the car FDR is riding in is a 1938 Packard very similar to this one.

Chris
malocchio

Post by malocchio »

EL Alamein wrote:I believe the car FDR is riding in is a 1938 Packard very similar to this one.

Chris
..........you nailed it chris...that is the grille for sure...