Armed Forces Day

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
english_barber
Robert from the Gentleman's Shop

Armed Forces Day

Post by english_barber »

Hi there,

Today is armed forces day in the United Kingdom, a day to show some respect for those who serve us past and present.

This is a relatively new thing for us Brits, shamed by our allies in the United States and the people of a small town now called Royal Wooton Bassett

In 2008 our military was banned from wearing military uniforms outside barracks in case it offended ethnic minorities within the local community. At the same time their fallen comrades were being brought home without recognition via an air force transport depot locally.

One day in 2008 this all changed forever when the people of Wooton Bassett started to line the streets as the coffins were driven through their town, shaning us all. In 2011 Wooton Bassett was given the status "Royal" in recognition of their deed.

Recognising the huge difference in respect shown to our armed forces the last Saturday in June has been declared "Armed Forces Day" since 2008, a day to "show some support!". Something our allies in the US manage everyday.

So the flag is flying proudly on Charnham House.

Have a great weekend, Robert
Charlotte & Robert Johnston
www.gentlemans-shop.com
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Happy Armed Forces Day to all those that served in Great Britian!

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
wenestvedt

Post by wenestvedt »

I hadn't heard about this. Thank you for mentioning it, and bless & keep safe all those in uniform.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

How did I miss this thread !? I'm offically embarassed.

I think I'll raise a glass tonight for your Armed Forces even if it is a bit late, and to Royal Wooton Bassett.

Wearing a uniform outside the barracks will offend someone taking advantage of your country? What nut case thought that one up? I'm offended that they would be offended and so incredibly two faced.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
dosco

Post by dosco »

Now that you write it up, I recall the story. I had no idea that the town had been distinguished as "Royal." Cheers for that.

Thanks to those who are serving or those who have. In the US or UK. Cheers.
brothers

Post by brothers »

A salute to those who served, and their families!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

Go, Brits. Kudos to you. Anyone (in any country) who bad-mouths the military needs to be reminded that it is the soldier who has given us the freedoms we cherish -- not the politicians, not the celebrities, but the soldier. Offending a minority person? Shame on them. If they really want to be citizens of the country, then they need to meld into its culture and adopt its social customs (without turning their backs completely on their own). Don't want to meld in? Then go home.

Incidentally, Armed Forces Day in the US is the third Saturday in May.