Parking Lot Dings

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
scruffy

Parking Lot Dings

Post by scruffy »

Does anyone else have trouble maneuvering their car into those damn parking lot lines. I have no trouble parallel parking, at least then I can see the cars. It is those damn curbs and painted lines that give me trouble.

I hit posts, drive over curbs and drive backwards and forwards trying to get my car into those damn lines.

My wife wonders what is wrong with me, but how do I avoid hitting something I can not see. I have started getting out of the car and looking to see what is around me.

Am I the only one that has trouble in parking lots?
Ed
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I park as far away as I need to in order to take up two spaces without appearing ignorant or rude to others. It's the only way I can be sure to avoid dings.

Costco parking lots are the best -- their spaces are massive -- even the Costco in Oldham (Manchester) has massive spots in their car park -- even one would say huge based on the UK standard parking spot at Tesco or B&Q.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

part of the problem is the lane size...they seem to be painting lines for cars built in 1803!

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

fallingwickets wrote:part of the problem is the lane size...they seem to be painting lines for cars built in 1803!

clive
Weren't cars wider in 1803?? :wink:

Hang on -- were there even cars back in 1803?????? :-k
Wendell

Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Try driving a full-sized pickup.
Jim
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Or maybe move to a SmartCar?

Wendell

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

would rather have a cool moped than a smart car....at least chicks still get giddy at the sight of a leathers and helmet LMAO

clive
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Agreed -- a Vespa has always been on my wish list. The coolest of the cool in eco-friendly and way niftier than an e-bike. Easy-peasy to park as well.

Wendell

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Agree...I wonder if we can get an smf discount if enough guys do a group buy!!!

the proffezzor dumped me but new girl is very inclined to cruise around town...$6000 for kisses is cheap :lol: :lol:

clive
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

fallingwickets wrote:Agree...I wonder if we can get an smf discount if enough guys do a group buy!!! ...
I like that idea -- SMF exclusive brushes and now SMF exclusive Vespa scooters. What fun!

The Honda Jazz scooter is a blast as well, but the Vespa has to be the darling of the scooter world.
Wendell

rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

My Toyota Tacoma has a backup camera with guidelines, backing up into a parking spot has never been easier.
Richard
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Richard -- I have always had difficulty using backup cameras --- mind you they have only been on the odd rental car I have had. I like the backup sensors that emit an escalating alarm though -- those are great and very helpful.
Wendell

rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

jww wrote:Or maybe move to a SmartCar?

I see you are collecting the whole set!
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
brothers

Post by brothers »

Is that white one a VW Golf?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

When we're in the Tacoma I regularly pass on some spaces. I think they're making the lines tighter. No problem for the Prius though. I think they were bigger years ago. I know they were! Heck, the cars were bigger!
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

It tends to make my blood boil a little bit when I'm trying to find a spot in a busy/crowded parking lot and then I spot one vehicle that's been carefully placed on the line, taking up two spaces. I understand the desire to avoid dings in the side, but it does seem a bit self-centered. Then on the other side of the coin, I've witnessed the self-centered act of someone pulling up between two properly parked cars, and seeing the doors flying wildly open and slamming into the surrounding cars, then the oblivious perpetrator(s) slowly climbing out and obviously couldn't care less that they've just caused hundreds of dollars of damage to someone's property. Now that makes me furious. So yes, I understand taking up two places.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

brothers wrote:It tends to make my blood boil a little bit when I'm trying to find a spot in a busy/crowded parking lot and then I spot one vehicle that's been carefully placed on the line, taking up two spaces. I understand the desire to avoid dings in the side, but it does seem a bit self-centered. Then on the other side of the coin, I've witnessed the self-centered act of someone pulling up between two properly parked cars, and seeing the doors flying wildly open and slamming into the surrounding cars, then the oblivious perpetrator(s) slowly climbing out and obviously couldn't care less that they've just caused hundreds of dollars of damage to someone's property. Now that makes me furious. So yes, I understand taking up two places.
Which is why I park where there are no cars and walk the extra 500 ft or so - it's not worth the frustration for me. :D
Wendell

Rambler

Post by Rambler »

The last two vehicles I purchased were new and both damaged within 24 hours. One car was doored the next morning at work with a nice big dent in an aesthetic crease under the rear passenger window of a two door Accord. My Fit's front bumper was gouged by a truck hitch the next day (it's housed on a street where everyone parallels to park). They should have upgraded to have a reverse camera (and update their plates from Minnesota since they've been parked out there for at least three years now). I try to keep the exterior as best as I can, but I also understand that it's usually out of my control. I keep it washed and waxed, and use the touch up paint when necessary. My interior sees the most care these days from me.
--Greg
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Perhaps the installation of a ding retaliation system would assist - I am thinking perhaps something like this.....

Clarkson, May, Hammond and great big guns oughta do the trick nicely.
Wendell

Rambler

Post by Rambler »

Is there a kit car available for the Honda Fit with that body?

Love that show.
--Greg