Vitamix Anyone?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
jww
Woolly Bully

Vitamix Anyone?

Post by jww »

After many costly and not-so-costly blender options, we have finally decided to go with something more "robust" and are probably going to go with a Vitamix 5200 (TNC in Canada). With the amount we have invested in cheaper machines, we could have easily bought one (or just about bought one) by now.

Anyone with experience/thoughts on the Vitamix product line?
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

We've had a Vitamix for 25 years or so, and love the machine, it's not inexpensive, but it's worth it. Ours get a great deal of use too- hard use. BTW, we currently have the 5200.

Some criticisms of it, because nothing is perfect...

1) It's easy to overheat it and the internal circuit breaker trips. It will reset when the machine cools off, and by itself will reset in about an hour. I found that if I take the base out to the shop and blow compressed air into the center of the base I can cool it off in minutes. To prevent all of that, when I'm using it hard, I give the machine a break by using the variable speed at about 1/2 speed and under no load just to keep the motor cool.

2) The variable speed self destructs in a short time. It continues to work after a fashion, but in a fashion of it's own choosing. Using the VS with no load the machine will sit there and will vary the speed all on it's own. When starting the machine with the VS engaged you better have the lid on, because the machine may decide to start at near full RPM.

Even with those criticisms it's a workhorse, and we put ours through more hell in a year than other folks will put theirs through in a lifetime. It's the best blender I know of. (It's actually a hammermill grinder)

Wendell, if you want a recipe for nutmilk let me know. It's my own concoction and it's pretty good. Much better than store bought soy or other nutmilk for a fraction of the price. The VM makes it in minutes.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Go figure -- the downeaster from Maine is the first to respond -- why am I not surprised? :D
Wendell

RazoRock

Post by RazoRock »

I use mine every single day... definitely my favorite kitchen tool; I hear the bluetec is good as well but never used one; for me, it's been the biggest difference to healthy eating.... at $400-500, it's not cheap, but i love it and would not go without one.

The warranty sold me on it... any company backing a blender for 7 years (and being in business for a few decades), must be putting out quality.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

RazoRock wrote:... I hear the bluetec is good as well but never used one; ...
Did you meant BlendTec? Bluetec is the Mercedes Benz diesel technology -- -and it is good technology, but I don't think I want a diesel engine in the kitchen..... not enough space for it, and where would I store the fuel? :wink:

My hesitation with BlendTec is that it's all digital -- for some reason, even though I am a techno-geek-gadget-guy, I like the old-fashioned knobs and controls of the Vitamix.
Wendell

never2close

Post by never2close »

All of the top end blenders claim they can make a smoothy without destroying themselves, but the Vitamix is the only one that works for me.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

I don't really use blenders but my new wife is totally hooked on her Vitamix and would not do without it. When she makes these concoctions that include ice I step outside as it sounds like a pile driver or some other kind of industrial machine...but it certainly works. She's had hers for years and uses it daily so obviously they hold up.
Regards,
Gordon
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

"My new wife..."

Gordon, you owe me a PM with ALL the gory details, you dog, you. Even if only to let us congratulate you on your nuptials.

Chris
Who is way too tired for any new wives and barely copes with the old one.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

:shock: :shock: :shock: followed by :wink: :wink:!!!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Gene

Post by Gene »

My wife and I would like the Vitamix, but at this point can't justify the extra costs. We see the Demo guy at local Costco showing one, and it looks nice, maybe someday.

In the meantime we use the Ninja system. Currently sells for about $70.00, and Consumer Reports rates it almost as well as the Vitamix. It's not nearly as powerful, so the ice blending is probably not as good, but it makes protien shakes and "green" drinks all day long.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
brothers

Post by brothers »

Gene, my oldest daughter has the Ninja and her family say they love it, especially the ice crushing and smoothie making.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Gordon, congratulations!
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, A....ahem....yes, well....it's been quite a year and it's really quite a story but perhaps I ought not tell it here....this site is easily acessible and it might, therefore, be in poor taste. I will attempt a PM as soon as I can.
Regards,
Gordon
changabang

Post by changabang »

As long as you're happy, Gordon. That's what counts. Best wishes.
James Nicks
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Well Gordon, a happy ending . . . best wishes to you both.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Squire wrote:Well Gordon, a happy ending . . . best wishes to you both.
+1

And who would have thought that this would come to light in a VitaMix thread??? :wink:
Wendell

GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Congrats Gordon!!!
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

Wow Gordon, congratulations!

All part of life's rich blend, you might say. . .
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

How about a cliff note version, Gordon??

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

ichabod wrote:Wow Gordon, congratulations!

All part of life's rich blend, you might say. . .
Trust Dominic to make the connection between the thread topic and the content ... brilliant!
:D
Wendell