Page 1 of 1

Homebrewers unite! Sign the White House petition!

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:14 pm
by AACJ
Homebrewers unite! As you may have heard, there are staff in the White House that brews beer for the President. Apparently it is a Honey Ale. Although I am not a fan of this administration, as a homebrewer myself, I would welcome the opportunity to brew this beer.

If they receive 25,000 signatures on the White House petition, they will release the recipe. So, all of my fellow homebrewers, please go to the link and sign the petition as well. I am signature 9172.





https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petiti ... n=shorturl

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:42 pm
by ShadowsDad
I got a "404 page not found" error message.

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:09 pm
by AACJ
Fixed now.

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:00 pm
by kronos9
And in order to sign this petition, you're required to create an[other] account.

Right now I have quite enough accounts, userids, and passwords to last at least a decade. I'm prohibited from commenting on local news stories without "Creating an account". The local grocery store wants me to create an account to reap insignificant savings at overpriced gas stations. The list goes on.

AACJ, I'd help you out if it weren't for that issue. Happy brewing. :D

Sorry for the rant.

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:12 pm
by AACJ
Actually you don't have to create a user name with password and all. It just asked me for my first and last name and zip code, then to verify my email address (they have a no spam policy). Once I recieve the verification via my email address, I simply hit the "sign the petition" button and I am done. I am not sure if it's a one time thing or not account wise, since I didn't need to create a username/password.

It was very simple.

But I do understand your concern, I hate carrying around those super saver club cards on my keychain, so I don't. I cut all the bar codes out and taped them to a piece of thin cardboard, then pull it out when I am at the store.

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:53 am
by brothers
I'm all for it. I'm wondering if I should delay my vote until sometime after election day, though.

Re: Homebrewers unite! Sign the White House petition!

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:55 am
by rustyblade
AACJ wrote:Although I am not a fan of this administration, as a homebrewer myself, I would welcome the opportunity to brew this beer.
Got to love how Americans can make everything political. Why even mention it?

Re: Homebrewers unite! Sign the White House petition!

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:24 pm
by AACJ
Because I don't want anyone to think I support this president, I am only interested in the beer recipe.

rustyblade wrote:
AACJ wrote:Although I am not a fan of this administration, as a homebrewer myself, I would welcome the opportunity to brew this beer.
Got to love how Americans can make everything political. Why even mention it?

Re: Homebrewers unite! Sign the White House petition!

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:20 pm
by drmoss_ca
rustyblade wrote:Got to love how Americans can make everything political. Why even mention it?
then:
AACJ wrote:Because I don't want anyone to think I support this president, I am only interested in the beer recipe.
QED.

Chris
To whom beer is more important than presidents and kings.

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:54 pm
by cjc15153
Having signed, this now strikes me as one of the sillier petitions, but certainly likely to get more than a polite nonresponse. Still, I figure it is good publicity for homebrewing.
brothers wrote:I'm all for it. I'm wondering if I should delay my vote until sometime after election day, though.
You may as well sign now. There is a less-than-even chance that no beer will be brewed by the next administration.

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:06 pm
by brothers
How can anyone living in the WH not give in to the temptation to fire up the old still (or brewery) down in the basement, and then late at night when the women and children are sleeping, the guys go down and shoot a little pool and smoke some cubans and wash it all down with a belly full of whiskey or beer, or both? Dang it, boys, you can't get it any better'n that!

Homebrew

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:47 am
by Bobwhite
I have so little on common with this administration, that I've got to assume that it will taste like toilet water.

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:22 am
by AACJ
It worked! The White House released the recipe! Last I checked, there were still a few thousand signatures needed...


https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/respon ... eer-recipe

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:36 am
by cjc15153
One can tell from the video that the WH always intended to make this information public and they were just trying to generate a little buzz. Nonetheless, the video is interesting. Several founding fathers made their own whiskey (cinnamon flavored!), beer and wine. I really would like some loosening of laws governing distilled spirits, but I don't see that on tap by any foreseeable congress.

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:24 pm
by brothers

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:47 pm
by AACJ
Yep, I got that feeling from it too.

cjc15153 wrote:One can tell from the video that the WH always intended to make this information public and they were just trying to generate a little buzz. Nonetheless, the video is interesting. Several founding fathers made their own whiskey (cinnamon flavored!), beer and wine. I really would like some loosening of laws governing distilled spirits, but I don't see that on tap by any foreseeable congress.

Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:03 pm
by owenm
AACJ wrote:It worked! The White House released the recipe! Last I checked, there were still a few thousand signatures needed...


https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/respon ... eer-recipe
A little surprising, the use of German and English hops and yeast - looks nice though; I'd definitely consider doing an all-grain version of that.