Heading back to our roots

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Gene

Heading back to our roots

Post by Gene »

Some of you might know from previous posts that we are from Texas originally. We came out 22 years ago for work, never realizing we would spend all this time out here.

Now, 22 years later we are moving back to Texas. Just south of Austin, actually. Our parents are getting older, and my wife's sister is having some health issues that we feel push to scales towards heading home.

Don't get me wrong, I like Georgia. But, it just isn't Texas.

We have discussed moving back several times over the years, but everything that would need to occur to allow that never lined up, plus we could never work it out financially. This time the stars aligned perfectly, and everything fell into place. We sold everything we needed to (except the house, but we will rent that out), and we bought a really great house not far from her mom and her sister (my family is in Dallas, San Antonio and Kilgore, that's pretty good, too).

So, Thursday a big truck and the loading crew show up, and Friday we all head out (3-vehicle caravan). I am used to all this, so driving the truck won't bother me, but we will take out time getting there.

The only down side is our 25-year old son, who is staying behind (for now). His professional life is just starting to work itself out, and even an outright bribe of cold, hard cash couldn't change his mind. But, Southwest flies in to Atlanta now, so cheap airfares are available.

So, that's it for now. Will try to post before I get there, but if not next post will be as a returning Texan, one of God's chosen!!

(Yes, all Native Texans feel that way...)
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Good luck with the move, Gene. We take it you are either retiring or have found a solution for work. Enjoy the return.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Happily, my daughter and her new husband are moving in the opposite direction. Who says there's no balance in the universe? They live in Dallas and are moving back to NC, albeit a ways from here, near Charlotte. Still, they'll be in easy driving distance and close enough to join us on beach weekends, so hurray!
Jim
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I'm happy for you!

After 3 years in the military I tried to go home, but found that my hometown no longer existed as I knew it. Sure it was there, but I didn't know it any longer. I moved away fairly soon therafter. Nothing to keep me there; any town was as much like my hometown before my 3 years as any other. It's been 35 years and I haven't been back for the town. I did visit people and they were much the same.

Edit: I know what everyone is thinking... the change was in me, and yes, no doubt that was part of it. But before I left we had deer, partridge, and woodcock in the backyard. When I returned our yard was the same, but behind us it was all paved with condos and townhouses. That was a typical change.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Don't go back. I was born in a back bedroom of the house I lived in till I was eighteen. Then I moved to London for 9 years, and to Canada for the last 27 years. I still regard myself as having that Wiltshire village as 'home' but I know if I went back there it would have changed beyond all recognition. Current research on memory indicates that when we take a memory out and examine it, we then rewrite it to memory with any changes we have made (think of the similarity to a computer file). The important thing about that is that we have overwritten the original. I'd rather keep my memories of my village intact before letting them be contaminated and become untrustworthy with new memories.

Perhaps I shouldn't say 'don't go back' - it's more a matter of 'you can't go back.'

Chris
I would, if I could. Can you believe a shepherd in a smock-frock and leathern leggings walking back each Sunday for his bath at home, then returning to his hut at the base of a bronze age hill fort? Nothing changed for him since Gabriel Oak in Far From The Madding Crowd. The sound of the wind, the sheep and the larks on the downs....
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

How right you are Chris.

When I experienced my return to my hometown I was reminded of a line or 2 from a Moody Blues song, I belive it was the "Every Good Boy Deserves Favour" album.

"You can ne-ver go home any more."
Brian

Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Congrats Gene!
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
changabang

Post by changabang »

Well, despite interludes of college and military service, I never really left. Now I wish I had at least emigrated to a warmer climate, as my home town is nothing like it was when I was a kid. Everything has changed. "Progress", I guess.
James Nicks
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

Speaking as someone who has a similar experience to Chris, I agree. When you go back, it's all somehow different. Even in the relatively brief period of living in Tampa, I'd come back to Denver (which I consider home) two years on and find myself driving around familiar areas of the city but not quite 100% sure I was going the right way.

Anyway - congratulations Gene. You remove yourself from the legion of Texans who enthuse all the time about Texas being the best place on earth, while choosing not to live there :P
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
Reverend Jim

Post by Reverend Jim »

Welcome back Gene. We missed you! I'll be heading to Austin this weekend. Really no slight angainst any place else but Texas is a very special place.
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice.
Gene

Post by Gene »

Had comments, but was packing the last few items over the last few days. Today is the load-out, tomorrow we start west. Now we are stuck trying to decide - Southern Route (I-10)? We have 2 nights planned in Biloxi, but that might be bad. Northern Route (I-20)? Remnants of the storm may be passing by, as slow moving as this is. Will decide for sure this afternoon.

We understand the concept of never going home. But we have visited enough to know what the changes are, and on top of that we are not moving into a town either of us ever lived in. My wife grew up in Austin proper, and I grew up in Dallas County...so moving to the Kyle, Buda area is different.

Also - not very clear - I travel across the country, no set territory. My company does not care where I live, so long as I have access to a decent airport. And my wife was able to work out a Telecommute deal with her company. So that's all good.

Anyway - going dark for a few, as we head that way. Thanks for the well wishes, see you soon.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Safe commuting and best of luck in your 'new' state!

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I hope this post finds you well, settled, and happily ensconsed in your new home!
Brian