Reggie Perrin

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Reggie Perrin

Post by fallingwickets »

I stumbled upon this tv show while cruizing around the netflix site and watched the first episode last night.......5 thumbs up at the very least :lol:
Martin Clunes stars in this updated BBC comedy (based on a popular sitcom of the 1970s) as Reginald Perrin, an executive who oversees the production of disposable razors -- and his own midlife crisis -- while working for the Groomtech company.
clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

I don't know that one, but Martin Clunes is great in Doc Martin.
Jim
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

he is half decent in 'demob' too.

clive
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

This is a remake of the The Rise and Fall of Reginald Perrin from the 1970s. It was a very good show ---- we watched it faithfully and really enjoyed it when it first came to PBS in the early 80s.

The Martin Clunes version updates the sets and style, but keeps the main story line reasonably intact. It even pokes fun at some of the original show's props and situations. The new one is ok, but not, in my mind, as fresh as the original was.

Martin Clunes, however, is as good a TV actor these days as goes from over the pond. Doc Martin is an excellent series simply because how he plays the main character.

Clunes also released a bit back a documentary entitle A Man and His Dog. Clunes is known for his love of dogs, and this documentary is really well done. In real life it's hard to imagine how he pulls of Doc Martin's spiky personality
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I haven't seen the re-make, but I loved the original. It's hard to see how the original series could be improved on, but having Martin Clunes as Reggie is a good start. There are a couple of other English TV series from the 1960's/1970's I'd like to see re-released, notably The Sweeney, Callan, Dr Finlay's Case Book, The Avengers, and, of course, Rumpole of the Bailey.
Bryan
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Rumpole - probably my favourite English barrister.
Wendell

GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Clive and Wendell, I've never heard of this show before, but the writeup at Amazon UK looks good, so I put the first two years on my wish list.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I am pretty confident that you can find both the old series and much of the newer version online.
Wendell

paddy

Post by paddy »

the original fall and rise of reginald perrin with leonard rossiter is absolutely one of my favourite sit coms. i have all of the series on DVD. however i don't care much for the modern remake with martin clunes in it.
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Go buy the book. It will work even when the power doesn't.
I recall the original series from those far off days before 1976 when I gave up television. Mostly I remember the images of hippos whenever he thought of his mother-in-law. I have tried not to let that influence me in my married life.....

CJ - yes, it's true! I was known at one time by those initials.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Thanks Chris. I've added the book too to my wish list.
Fitness
Lijun badger
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I found this program on Netflix but couldn't get far into the first segment. I just refuse to watch any program with a loud laugh track. I don't need to be told when something is funny and that sort of background noise detracts from the program.
Regards,
Squire
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

laugh track is like car noise...after a while you dont 'hear' it :lol:

clive
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Squire wrote:I found this program on Netflix but couldn't get far into the first segment. I just refuse to watch any program with a loud laugh track. I don't need to be told when something is funny and that sort of background noise detracts from the program.
Squire -- do you include Fawlty Towers in your abhorrence of laugh tracks? If so, you used to be able to get a DVD that included the videos without laugh tracks -- every bit as funny to me either way. I don't often laugh just because other people do -- canned or not. ymmv.
Wendell

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

More of a mild annoyance to me Wendell and I can tune it out if it doesn't obscure the dialog or the actors pacing. Still don't like it though.
Regards,
Squire
paddy

Post by paddy »

there is a big difference between 'canned' laughter with someone in an editing suite pressing a button to produce it on cue, and the natural spontaneous laughter from the show being recorded / aired in front of a live audience and the sound of them laughing.

the modern remake of reggie perrin has the former, fawlty towers had the latter.
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
GA Russell

Re:

Post by GA Russell »

paddy wrote:the original fall and rise of reginald perrin with leonard rossiter is absolutely one of my favourite sit coms. i have all of the series on DVD. however i don't care much for the modern remake with martin clunes in it.
The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin with Leonard Rossiter - Complete First Season - $5.98

http://www.oldies.com/product-view/5179 ... -187732661
Fitness
Lijun badger
brothers

Re: Reggie Perrin

Post by brothers »

This one (old one and remake) sounds like something we'd be interested in watching. I'll give it a try.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

Piping in to say thanks for the Doc Martin heads-up. Found it on Netflix and watched Series One since Sunday, on to Series Two tonight. Makes me wish I could visit Cornwall myself!
Regards,
Mike
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

The village of port wen is in real life port Isaac, a place we long to visit some day ourselves, if I could get me 'ed 'round not spending all my time in The North when we visit. Apparently the village is quite the popular spot to visit since the show became popular. Only one episode that we have never liked, but that was due to some content which was inappropriate to us. They are working on another season, I believe. Martin clunes is great as Martin for sure, and the supporting cast is marvellous - oo-arr!
Wendell