My new ride

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
m3m0ryleak

My new ride

Post by m3m0ryleak » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:15 am

Well I grew tired of waiting for Ford to resolve its production problems on the Focus ST and also acknowledged that the car was too small and too "young" :wink: for me . So I found me this and bought it Saturday.
Yes, it is very BLUE.

2013 KIA Optima SX w/ Performance Touring option, 275 HP turbo four, 33 MPG Hwy, lots of car for the $$$.

Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits

GA Russell

Post by GA Russell » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:28 am

Looks great, Tony! Let us know what you still think of a Kia a year from now. I'm curious about the brand.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:31 am

very very nice.....use in good health and may you be kissed a lot inside

:lol:

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum

JayTrek

Post by JayTrek » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:41 am

Nice. Enjoy it!!!
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...

nteeman

Post by nteeman » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:55 am

Very nice - enjoy!
-Neal (DE user since 1998)
I shave therefore I am

a-cut-above

Re: My new ride

Post by a-cut-above » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:11 pm

m3m0ryleak wrote:......lots of car for the $$$.

And my dream car......lots of $$$ for the car.

Morgan Roadster

Much more affordable in my dreams than in my driveway.
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:55 pm

Hyundai's sportier sibling is putting out not only nice looking cars but well made ones as well. If your experience with your new Kia (love the colour, btw), is anything like ours has been with Hyundai, you will be not just pleased, but ecstatic. Believe it!

Enjoy your ride.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?

sgtrecon212

Post by sgtrecon212 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:26 pm

Great looking vehicle! My wife and I are looking for a new car.. The Kia and Hyundai's offerings are great. I would buy American, but not sure if the US offerings will provide what we want in a car.
Steve
______
Go Cubbies

brothers

Post by brothers » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:33 pm

Pretty car! I like the turbo option. The car I drive is a Yaris and it's anything but turbo. It's the wrong car for the way I drive it (aggressively, to state it mildly), but it's what I have, and it will eventually be paid for.
Gary

SOTD 99%: soaps & creams, synthetic/boar/badger brushes, General V2 by Colonial, Kai & Schick blades, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444

Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:43 pm

Kia's been making some very nice looking cars the last little while.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."

ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:17 pm

Congrats! Enjoy it!

I don't know if that's enough HP for such a large car though. :lol: I'd definitely get into trouble with it.

Our Prius @ 110 (thereabouts) effective HP is more than enough for me.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite http://www.krampertsfinest.com/
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square

Chaps

Post by Chaps » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:24 pm

Looking good! I love the color.

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:57 am

sgtrecon212 wrote:Great looking vehicle! My wife and I are looking for a new car.. The Kia and Hyundai's offerings are great. I would buy American, but not sure if the US offerings will provide what we want in a car.
Bear in mind most Hyundais and Kias are now assembled here in NA. Ford is distinctly global as is GM with manufacturing all over the world. Parts aren't all manufactured in NA anyway -- so buying "American" has become something of a grey zone.

The only down side of any turbo-charged engine is the inherent turbo lag --- depending on the implementation of the charging, it can take a good few seconds to actually kick in. What's it like with the Optima?
Wendell

desertbadger

Post by desertbadger » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:19 pm

Very nice, Tony! Enjoy!

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
Gotta have the "Fat"!

m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:56 am

Wendell, the only lag I've experienced so far comes when making a low speed ninety degree turns on secondary roads, that could be tied to the slushbox transmission as well. I've rowed my own gears for many years and I do miss that direct connection to the drive train. Otherwise, no real lag noticeable, torque curve picks up around 2K rpm. Out on the interstate, lots of "giddya up" without giving it the welly. Cherry on top = 35.8 mpg on first tank of gas, normal commute, 87 octane vs. ~23 mpg in the Infiniti on 93 octane (@ $0.35 more per gallon).

Car is built in West Point, GA. , new $1.1 billion plant.

Yes, I've got my fingers crossed that this was a good purchase and will keep you all posted.
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:15 am

Sounds like the turbo implementation is pretty good then.

I believe it's the same engine used in the new 2.0T Sonatas, and upcoming turbo Santa Fe Sport (not the just-released model with the Theta II 2.4l box, which is in and of itself a good engine by all reports).
Wendell

brothers

Post by brothers » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:37 am

It sounds like the Optima is the better deal when compared with the Nissan Altima.
Gary

SOTD 99%: soaps & creams, synthetic/boar/badger brushes, General V2 by Colonial, Kai & Schick blades, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:26 am

brothers wrote:It sounds like the Optima is the better deal when compared with the Nissan Altima.
Kia and Hyundai have been much better deals for at least a couple of years -- and I would argue as many as 7 when I purchased my first Sonata ... great car, incredibly well equipped and priced well below anything in the same category.
Wendell

Rambler

Post by Rambler » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:33 am

Great color on that car. Ever since that Audi designer moved over to Kia they have been releasing some very nice looking cars. I crossed shopped some Kia options before pulling the trigger on my Fit, but ultimately brand loyalty triumphed. I've now been spoiled by hatchbacks and the new Rio in hatch form looks promising. You have some nice hp balanced with good mpg with your Optima.
--Greg

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:23 am

Rambler wrote:... Ever since that Audi designer moved over to Kia they have been releasing some very nice looking cars. ...
Which is why many of North America's motoring journalists are suggesting that Kia may well be "out-Germaning" the Germans in the design category. Good thing that they are also very reliable cars to boot, eh?
Wendell