Digital Voice Recorder Recommendations

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
DavidB

Digital Voice Recorder Recommendations

Post by DavidB »

I work in communications and part of my job is to write executive messages, speeches, etc. I have been using a mini tape recorder to capture across-the-table conversations, but really need to move up to a digital voice recorder. I'm currently contracting, so I need to buy this myself vs. requisitioning one through the company.

I want something that's easy to use, affordable, not too many bells and whistles, and has a built in USB so I can download audio clips to my laptop. The ability to slow down the playback would be nice.

Recommendations?

Dave
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

There's probably one on your phone.
Jim
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

There is, but it's a little too basic, unless there's a fancier one available on iPhone.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Sony used to make some really good ones a little while back. When our oldest was in journalism at college --- which he ended up switching out of to move to business marketing -- an entirely different story of its own .... we provided him with one. He quite liked it and it performed very well. That was 7 or 8 years ago --- I am sure they are even more advanced now than they were then. Olympus also made some good ones. Not sure what the industry leaders are any more in this space. I am sure a good google search and checking out some reviews will help. There is probably a forum or two on this alone. Look what a bunch of concerned wet shaver wrought here.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Post by brothers »

We use those in our office, unfortunately I don't know the brand/model, or what they cost, I just know they are excellent, and they provide the features you just described. We use them for hearings, meetings, etc. If I can remember today when I go to work I'll see if I can find out who makes them.

Edit: Got the information. Olympus Digital Voice Recorder, model DS 71. Good luck with the search. Hope this helps.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
MaxP

Post by MaxP »

+1 on Olympus.

However, which brand (Olympus, Sony) is really personal preference.

There are typically decent selections that span the price range at the big box store, Office Depot, etc.

I have an Olympus and find it generally satisfactory. IIRC, it was about fifty bucks.
Regards,

MaxP

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle." - Abraham Lincoln
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

Thanks, guys. Really helpful input. I downloaded a recorder app for iPhone that has a few features, including skip back or forward 5 seconds and variable speed playback, but the v.s. playback drops the pitch when it drops the speed, so you get mud pretty quickly. Looks like an Olympus or Sony might be in my future.

Dave
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Look for a music app called Slow Down Music Player. I use it for guitar. It slows down without changing pitch. I don't know how it works for voice, but it's great for music. There's a free version. It imports from iTunes.
Jim