Bow Ties - A New AD for Me

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
jww
Woolly Bully

Bow Ties - A New AD for Me

Post by jww »

I have always been taken by proper bow ties for a long time --- moreso since loosing all this weight, and no longer having a large-ish middle section to display, I had one gifted to me by a friend, which my wife wasn't keen on but I wore anyway. I find it a labour of love and a joy to tie it.

This week, while I was away in Edmonton, my wife purchased a lovely dark red striped bow tie for me at Marshall's. It's lovely and ties like nothing flat. Apologies for the poor quality of the photo -- taken with my front-facing camera on my SII. Doesn't allow for a good angle when you are shooting yourself by hand.

Now I am addicted, and must buy more bow ties ...... gonna have to have a look myself at Marshalls later this week or next.

I have just under 40 regular ties -- 85% of which are striped ---- I find it hard to find a good non-striped tie that I like. I will be going through them and thinning them out a bit to make room for a half a dozen or so bow ties for my collection.

I just can't help myself.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

I know what you mean, Wendell. I have been wanting a bow tie for a long time. So, during Brooks Brothers Summer Clearance sale at Labor Day I bought one. It is a blue and red repp and I love it. My wife didn't like it at first, but I think she is warming up to it. I am on the look out for one in fall colors.
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I'll be hitting BB later this month when my wife and I are back in Maine for our annual anniversary week.

Bow ties -- love 'em, absolutely love 'em.
Wendell

Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Can't say that bow ties have ever grabbed me. Many, many years ago I tried them, but I just couldn't abide how they looked on me. My father, on the other hand, was a real bow tie aficionado; he wore one as frequently as he wore a regular tie. Bow ties look great on and really suit some men, but I'm not one of them.
Bryan
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

bow ties are the b.e.s.t. best!!

clive

p.s. and off topic somewhat.....Ive noticed that the very very 'trendy' types have started to sport pocket squares. It looks good. With a bow tie you'll be stylin' :lol: :lol:

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

I only wear one on black-tie occasions, but I do tie my own. I think long ties look better on tall men. I'm 6-5.
Jim
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Oh my, I feel another irresistible urge coming on.
Regards,
Squire
malocchio

bows

Post by malocchio »

The only ties I have worn since the 50's !!..My small collection includes a few from the 70's and half dozen from the 40's...
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

fallingwickets wrote:bow ties are the b.e.s.t. best!!

clive

p.s. and off topic somewhat.....Ive noticed that the very very 'trendy' types have started to sport pocket squares. It looks good. With a bow tie you'll be stylin' :lol: :lol:

clive
I got a.hold of a couple of pocket squares, but admit they are boringly single colours. I particularly like the look of a white linen hanky in traditional single fold style with a suit, white shirt and regular tie with a four-in-hand knot. Classic.

Gonna get more bows for sure, though.
Wendell

JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

I like the crisp look of a bow tie. However, I think I might have donned a tie of any kind perhaps three times in the last 5 years.

I have to wear khakis to work...but otherwise...I even wear jeans to church on Sunday.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I wear ties all the time --- bow ties add variety for me.
Wendell

changabang

Post by changabang »

jww wrote:I'll be hitting BB later this month when my wife and I are back in Maine for our annual anniversary week.

Bow ties -- love 'em, absolutely love 'em.

Wendell, you are a budding Chris Kimball. He of "America's Test Kitchen" is a bow tie fanatic. :P
James Nicks
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Wendell,
Aside from wearing them with a tux, I've never worn a bowtie. My dad did, had several and tried to teach me how to tie them.
When I first started working in NYC in 1970, it was for a very fashion-oriented consumer product company. My wife suggested an updated wardrobe might be nice. I visited an expensive men's store, Paul Stuart, located on Madison Av., very close to the Brook Brothers store.
Like BB, Paul Stuart was into the soft, natural-shoulder "Ivy League" style popular at the time, but with prices 20% higher and far better in-store alterations available.
To make a short story long, Paul Stuart had an incredible selection of bowties....hundreds, I bet. On one occasion, my wife had come into the city for dinner and decided to visit PS with me. She saw me staring at the bowtie collection and wisely pulled me a way...she was right that a guy like me, with a very fat ROUND face, had no right wearing a bowtie regularly...but secretly I admire guys who could and did do justice to a really nice, silk paisley bow-tie. Glad you're one of them!
jr/john
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

A long time ago, in a land far, far, away, I was going to a company function that was "dress up" so a suit was in order. Just prior to the function I happened to be in Nordstrom’s and checked out their tie selection more out of curiosity than really needing a new tie. I spotted a bow tie I really liked and made a deal with the attractive female sales clerk; if she would show me how to tie the bow tie I would buy it. Naturally, I walked out with the bow tie in hand.
At the function I was a big hit being the only one with a bow tie and a hand tied one at that.
Bow ties......gotta love'um...... 8)

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
Gotta have the "Fat"!
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Some people look like total dorks in a bow tie, yet persist in wearing them!

Can't begin to explain that, but I will say I always liked Lord Peter Wimsey's dictum that a bow tie must be hand tied, but must not be too perfect as that would make it look like a made-up affair.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

Nice ties, Chris. I bought my second one yesterday. A brownish, fall color.
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I picked up another 3 yesterday in Park City at the Van Heusen outlet there. All three only $18 each. I love them -- my wife thinks I have enough now .... little does she know.

And fwiw, Chris, you look "fabbalus - absolutely fabbalus" in those ties.
Last edited by jww on Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wendell

Chaps

Post by Chaps »

This is my first bow tie...

The pretty one in the photo is my lovely wife :D
Wendell, she too thinks I have enough and I only have two (for now :whistle: )
Danny

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Let's hope she comes around Danny, they look right smart on you.
Regards,
Squire
changabang

Post by changabang »

You do not, Dr. Moss, look "dorky" in a bow tie. Now the other Chris, the one of "America's Test Kitchen" fame, he's a little dorky.

As an aside, you do not at all look as I imagined you would. Somehow I had this idea you would be a salt and pepper bearded version of your son.
James Nicks