Game of Thrones: any other fans?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Kyle76

Game of Thrones: any other fans?

Post by Kyle76 »

My wife and I have just discovered this HBO series and are watching the first two seasons on On Demand. It is extremely well done and reminds me of The Tudors with its medieval setting and ample nudity and sexual content. The plot is very involved, the acting very good and the scenery and effects are outstanding for a non-cinematic production. Peter Dinklage is really a fantastic actor and steals the show, but there are many other great performances, like child actor Maisie Williams. We are just into Season Two. The third season starts next year. If you liked The Tudors, I think you'll be enthralled with GoT.
Jim
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Thanks Jim, that's right up my alley, was watching the first segment of the Tudors this morning.
Regards,
Squire
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

I hope you enjoy it, Squire. We also liked The Tudors. In fact, one of the wives shows up in the second season of GoT, which has a British cast. If you begin to watch, come back for some discussion.
Jim
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Most definitely. I've read books 1-3 and 5 and have just started book 4. Unfortunately, it will probably take Martin a few years to finish the next book.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Gotta be honest, neither GofT nor Tudors hold any interest for me. Guess I'll stay in my sheltered little world of reality in Highclaire Castle and Downton Abbey ...... :wink:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Bit genteel for me Wendell.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

ymmv -- this is SMF after all. :D
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
changabang

Post by changabang »

Whereas I've enjoyed GoT more or less so far, I hate the author's penchant for killing off main characters. When Ned Stark was beheaded near the end of the first season, that was a jump-the-shark shock that almost made me abandon the series. The author of the books seems to me to consciously knock off the Lord of the Ring books, including his "name". What's with the two middle initials? J.R.R. Tolkien he's not.
James Nicks
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

changabang wrote:Whereas I've enjoyed GoT more or less so far, I hate the author's penchant for killing off main characters. When Ned Stark was beheaded near the end of the first season, that was a jump-the-shark shock that almost made me abandon the series. The author of the books seems to me to consciously knock off the Lord of the Ring books, including his "name". What's with the two middle initials? J.R.R. Tolkien he's not.
Wow. You don't like the author's name? That's a new one on me. Pretty big spoiler there, too.
Jim
Julius_Rodman

Post by Julius_Rodman »

Kyle76 wrote:
changabang wrote:Whereas I've enjoyed GoT more or less so far, I hate the author's penchant for killing off main characters. When Ned Stark was beheaded near the end of the first season, that was a jump-the-shark shock that almost made me abandon the series. The author of the books seems to me to consciously knock off the Lord of the Ring books, including his "name". What's with the two middle initials? J.R.R. Tolkien he's not.
Wow. You don't like the author's name? That's a new one on me. Pretty big spoiler there, too.

This says it all about the show...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1w4CRMQVtY
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

I heard about that skit. Thanks for posting.
Jim
changabang

Post by changabang »

Pretty much sums it up, Julius; the show, though well written, caters to our adolescent urges. Spoiler for whom, Kyle? Not you; you're already into the second season. You invited the discussion by virtue of being the original poster.
James Nicks
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

changabang wrote:Pretty much sums it up, Julius; the show, though well written, caters to our adolescent urges.
Around here, we call that a bonus! :lol:
Jim
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Bare blades, ripped bodices, just call me old fashioned.
Regards,
Squire
changabang

Post by changabang »

Kyle76 wrote:
changabang wrote:Pretty much sums it up, Julius; the show, though well written, caters to our adolescent urges.
Around here, we call that a bonus! :lol:
I see what you did there! :wink:
James Nicks
diggity

Post by diggity »

Great show. The wife and I couldn't stop watching it. I am glad they started to finally film season 3.
Nathan
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

Indeed. I'm not a big fan of authors or show producers thinking they need to throw in gratuitous violence and sex to keep my attention. That implies either 1) the plot isn't all that good or 2) I'm too stupid to follow one train of thought for more than 15 minutes, and thus assuredly need to see some woman in the nude to reel me in.
Regards,
Mike
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I like that sort of stuff Mike but that's the romantic in me.
Regards,
Squire
changabang

Post by changabang »

Squire wrote:I like that sort of stuff Mike but that's the romantic in me.

I like it "for real", Squire. At 67, I just don't get it that way any more! :cry: :cry: :cry:
James Nicks
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Know what you mean James, I amuse the college students when I say 'now this happened more than 50 years ago' then tell them a first person story.
Regards,
Squire