BIG (!) Varmint!

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

Brian - thanks for the info on dealing with skunks. Could I ask them to go to Maine? :lol: Maybe they will get a more hospitable reception there. :D

Or perhaps Wendell would consider - - - - -
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I was visited last night by a black bear, who decided to rest on the porch between his other ports of call. I don't know why, but I decided to open the front door and shoo him away, which he did. Four things I learned:

1. I can be really stupid.
2. I can produce language worthy of a longshoreman or grizzled Navy vet.
3. The bear left huge paw prints in the dirt in front of the porch, so now realize it was not a little guy but some large mamajamma. Which directly relates to how stupid I can be in confronting him.
4. The dogs did not bark. They will never receive another treat of turkey jerky ever again.

Bears are becoming more brazen as the season dwindles and winter approaches. Really wish you guys would buy my brush and razor on Selling & Trading so this city boy can afford to move away from Wild Kingdom.
Ron
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

slackskin wrote:....

Or perhaps Wendell would consider - - - - -
As you already know, I did a full rental accommodation reno after mine seasonal tenants left at the end of August. No where for them to stay now ..... so sad, I know -- maybe a nearby forest??? I suppose your place is much more comfortable and accommodating. :wink:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

Oh, Wendell, I had something different in mind. Perhaps you would be good enough to offer the skunks a place to stay until winter sets in and then hopefully they will freeze to death.
wenestvedt

Post by wenestvedt »

Someone up the block scatters bread pieces -- and sometimes chicken! -- in their front yard, so there are skunks almost every night. Also, the fox & her kits that we thought were gone seem still to be in the woods across the road, thanks to these yahoos and their food.

And this past spring, we were pretty certain there was a fisher (or fisher cat) in the woods. Who's seen one of those in years?!
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

wenestvedt wrote:Someone up the block scatters bread pieces -- and sometimes chicken! -- in their front yard, so there are skunks almost every night. Also, the fox & her kits that we thought were gone seem still to be in the woods across the road, thanks to these yahoos and their food.

And this past spring, we were pretty certain there was a fisher (or fisher cat) in the woods. Who's seen one of those in years?!
What a moron! Have they never heard of rabies? Concentrating these species is an invitation to disaster!

Yup, we have all sorts of fishers. We can tell when one has moved through because lots of pet cats suddenly disappear around the neighborhood.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
wenestvedt

Post by wenestvedt »

When we are coming home at night from Scouts or something, my kids & I will pretend we are in one of those drive-through safari parks -- or maybe narrating a nature documentary -- and describe the dark street and whatever mammals we see crouched in that front yard.

- Will