Northeastern peril

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
brothers

Northeastern peril

Post by brothers »

To those of you preparing for a storm of epic proportions, please stay safe as you take action to protect your families and your property, to the extent possible.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

+1

Be safe out there.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Who'd have thought a late-October storm would be so threatening? I hope it's not as bad as they think it might be. I was on the southern NC coast his weekend, and it sent us some beautiful waves but otherwise just rain and a little wind.
Jim
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

14 months ago, our family was sitting in southern Maine awaiting the effects of Hurrican Irene.

And this week -- my wife and I are here again on our annual fall trip in concert with our anniversary. We are hunkered down once again -- the good news this time is that while we are on the coast, nevertheless, we are staring right into the northern teeth of this storm that is not even on landfall yet. Here are a couple of pics -- one taken at 10am this morning and another 3pm. This is no friendly storm, but we are safe and tucked away in a location with plenty of food, fuel and full generator power, so we are good.

The pictures really don't do this storm justice. The wind is incredible.

Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Recent videos posted on my YouTube channel. Here are the direct links to the two videos taken about 5 hours apart from each other. Video really doesn't do this weather system justice, but you at least can get a sense of what we are experiencing at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icXrPWbF ... e=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvg3sXE5 ... e=youtu.be
Wendell

JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

You guys seeing this crane hanging on for life at One57?
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Shingles flying off the roofs of most of the older less-upkept homes around us in Ocean Park Maine. If you can believe it, some people are actually still coming to the beach to take a look. These are people who do not live here in town -- they are coming from elsewhere. That's how dumb some people can be.

The wind is whipping all around us, but our location is solid and I can tell you that this got very bad very fast here. And we are several hours above the centre of the storm and its landfall.

This dangling crane is probably the scariest story so far.
Wendell

marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

im 12 miles out side of atlantic city, 4 miles out side of ocean city nj
its 5pm here as i post. been heavy rains all days with wind, rodes are flooding in my town and my yard is flooded because the ground cant take on the waterfall

the news on tv says the storm is minutes away from atlantic city

thery have clock 60 mile an hour winds and 20 foot waves here

and things are just beginning

marc
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

marsos52 wrote:im 12 miles out side of atlantic city, 4 miles out side of ocean city nj
its 5pm here as i post. been heavy rains all days with wind, rodes are flooding in my town and my yard is flooded because the ground cant take on the waterfall

the news on tv says the storm is minutes away from atlantic city

thery have clock 60 mile an hour winds and 20 foot waves here

and things are just beginning

marc
Marc...be safe and keep us posted here on your situation.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
Gene

Post by Gene »

I hear the storm surge will be several feet high...Wendell take care!!
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Latest update for our area -- storm surge down to 2-4 feet -- in which case, it won't breach the dune grass between the property and the beach front. Wind sustained at 42mph for the past 4 hours -- they now report that in Southern Maine, the wind will start decreasing significantly by around midnight which also coincidentally is when the next high tide is due.

Wind speeds expected to be down to 14pmh by the time Tuesday morning comes around. The next big thing for our area is that suddenly they are forecasting thunderstorms with a low risk for tornadoes --- that's an issue to be sure - and concerns me more than the high winds we have been facing all day. To be fair -- it's a very low risk, and the risk is apparently lower at the coast line. Not sure how true that is, but if that's the case, then that would be some relief. Central and western PA are getting socked with rain - and West Virginia have 2 feet of snow -- what the?????

This is one honking big storm. Never have watched the Weather Channel so closely -- even more closely than with Irene last year.
Wendell

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

BTW, for those who think this is unusual, or who don't believe in the changes caused by AGW, you might learn something from 2005. A year when the ordinary alphabet wasn't long enough, when even the emergency Greek alphabet got up to zeta, and when the last named storm wasn't over until January.

Chris
Oh, those same people, if any are daft enough to belong to an elite forum like SMF, might benefit from reading every single comic at XKCD rather than just that one. Comics can be that educational!
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Here's irony for you. Two of the three families who were to be our bolt-hole in case the storm got worse or we had to leave the coast and get inland, are now without power. We still have power, cable TV and full wireless internet.

Winds are now dying down somewhat -- current threats are thundershowers which could put quite a twist to this super-storm. They have been plastered to the south in NYC, New Jersey and Delaware.

We are not out of danger yet, but things are definitely calming down relative to peak winds around 6pm this evening.
Wendell

desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Wendell, marc, and others close to the storm......stay safe!

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Effects of this storm already being felt in Toronto - where a woman was killed by flying debris in the city only 5 minute's walk from where my oldest son and his girlfriend live. We are still safe and sound but glued again to The Weather Channel. Grim - absolutely grim.
Wendell

nolawis

Post by nolawis »

Speaking from a US perspective, I think that those of us in the Southeast have a different definition of "superstorm" than those in the Northeast.

Nw
Fair winds and following seas.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

FWIW, I'm 40 miles inland (Maine) and we've gotten some mild rain, and maybe a few gusts to 20 mph. I've seen normal rainstorms more violent than this frankenstorm.
nolawis wrote:Speaking from a US perspective, I think that those of us in the Southeast have a different definition of "superstorm" than those in the Northeast.

Nw
BTW, the people in the Northeast didn't predict it as being a superstorm, the weather forecasters did. They hyped it as they always do. Most of us did a lot of laughing about it and rightly so. We sat there and watched them hype it along with you. Obviously it was worse right on the water. But for us inland, it was one big fizzle. Irene was much worse, and that wasn't terrible either.

We live up here by choice. That choice being that our worst storms leave our homes intact after we dig out.

I think the folks who might actually get the Frankenstorm of the Century are the folks who are predicted to get the many feet of snow. Is that happening? I haven't heard.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

desertbadger wrote:Wendell, marc, and others close to the storm......stay safe!

Regards,
David
Yes, please be safe y'all.
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Hurricanes....a...yeah...regrettably I'm familiar with them. Chris M. above mentioned 2005 when we were hit basically by four of them here in Tampa. I dunno, when I lived in NJ or NYC they never scared me that much ( admittedly, in NJ I wasn't near the shore, rather up in the hills ) but here, they scare the hell out of me. When they come up the Gulf they are sometimes catagory 3 and 4 storms and this whole area is low lying. In '05 one storm that made landfall south of us, 'Charlie' was projected, up until the last minute, to be heading right up the mouth of Tampa Bay. If it had, it would have destroyed the city like Katrina did to New Orleans.
Still, Sandy is clearly a nasty storm. Apparently it has an outrageously low barometric pressure and it hit the NY/NJ area right at a full moon high tide so the surge was incredible; 13 and 1/2 feet at Battery Park I just heard. I hope Marc, Clive, and the rest of you right in the path of this thing get through okay...I know what it's like.
Regards,
Gordon
Last edited by bernards66 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

we made out just fine here, so lucky as we watch tv and see the damage done so very close to us.

today is light rain and the wind has died off.

some how we didnt loose any power thru the whole deal.

marc