Wool Pants and Suspenders

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
drmoss_ca
Admin

Wool Pants and Suspenders

Post by drmoss_ca »

I think I must be addicted to these pants.

I have two Loden Green pairs and two Malone pattern pairs. They are so warm and comfortable (yes, they itch until after the first wash, which should be no more than warm water as wool shrinks) and go nicely with these in red.

I think I'm suddenly getting old and don't seem to care anymore. Oh well.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

Chris, I find as I am getting older that I like warmth a lot more than I did when I was younger.
I might have to look into those wool pants, although wool makes me very itchy. I'm sure those woolen pants are a lot warmer than those darn jeans we've worn in our youth. :lol: :wink:
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Yeesss....'old'..., no doubt about it. That and really getting into the heritage of your adopted land....you know...a very 'Canadian lumberjack' sort of rig. And why not I say! ( and, don't tell, but this past summer was the first time in over 25 years that I stooped to wearing shorts here....normally I just refuse, no matter how bloody hot it gets....sigh...)
Regards,
Gordon
aircraft_electrician

Post by aircraft_electrician »

Ahh, I'm not so sure about the old part...at least I don't believe I'm old yet at 37, and I would definitely wear those. Alas, wool gives me a blasted rash after only a few minutes of contact with my skin.
A razor is a good deal like a gun, much depends on the man behind it - paraphrased from John Philip Sousa

ALWAYS wear a helmet when on 2 wheels; a helmet saved my life on 1Oct2007!
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Old or not -- I love the addition of the Bean Boots to the ensemble.

I picked up a pair of washable wool dress slacks in Bean's Freeport Outlet for $6.50 US when I was there 2 weeks ago -- and a pair of 8" Bean boots -- but not to intentionally go with the pants --- but one never knows ..... :lol:

These are great looking pants, imo. Paired up with a chamois cloth shirt would mean warmth envy all around in the winter months. :wink:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
changabang

Post by changabang »

Well, it's the season, mein doktor, and if you can tolerate the itch, why not?
If "old" means "old-fashioned", I'm there, but I couldn't stand the itch without long underwear. The old-timers were eminently practical in their
employment of wool. Sheep aren't just for shaving soap, you know. :lol:
James Nicks
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

One of the best implementations of wool which I have ever worn are my LL Bean River Driver shirts -- they are two-sided cotton-nylon-wool lined with cotton. Best doggone shirts ever. Yes - I admit to being an LL fanboy! :D

I think these pants are brilliant.
Wendell

Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Nice, Chris. Just don't wear the suspenders AND a belt. Remember Henry Fonda's comment in Once Upon a Time in the West: "How can you trust a man who can't trust his own pants?"
Jim
brothers

Post by brothers »

Unfortunately, I can't wear wool when it remains in contact with my skin. I had some warm and durable woolen glove liners I wore when I was in my late 20's early 30's, and it took months and months for me to realize the wool was the cause of large areas of skin literally separating and falling away from my hands. Yes, I'm stubborn. Used bottles of Cornhuskers' Lotion and other remedies, then it dawned on me that it was the wool. End of problem.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Gary -- have you tried the latest and greatest versions of Merino wool? This stuff has proven to be wearable for some with even the worst wool reactions.
Wendell

brothers

Post by brothers »

jww wrote:Gary -- have you tried the latest and greatest versions of Merino wool? This stuff has proven to be wearable for some with even the worst wool reactions.
No sir, I have not. I'll look into it, though. Thx.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
changabang

Post by changabang »

Wendell, the River Driver shirts look interesting. I've seen them in the Bean catalogs for decades but have never given them a second look. They have a new fleece-lined flannel shirt now that looks interesting, though pricey. The plaid patterns on these are attractive with "dark navy" my favorite and "black spruce" a close runner-up.
James Nicks
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

bernards66 wrote:Yeesss....'old'..., no doubt about it. That and really getting into the heritage of your adopted land....you know...a very 'Canadian lumberjack' sort of rig. And why not I say! ( and, don't tell, but this past summer was the first time in over 25 years that I stooped to wearing shorts here....normally I just refuse, no matter how bloody hot it gets....sigh...)
Regards,
Gordon
Wait - what? Now my world's turned upside down. . .
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

changabang wrote:Wendell, the River Driver shirts look interesting. I've seen them in the Bean catalogs for decades but have never given them a second look. They have a new fleece-lined flannel shirt now that looks interesting, though pricey. The plaid patterns on these are attractive with "dark navy" my favorite and "black spruce" a close runner-up.
I own 2 River Driver Shirts, a cotton chamois and a fleece-lined flannel, as well as a scotch flannel. They are all excellent shirts in their own rights. I wore the fleece-lined flannel under my Field Coat last week when I was putting up our Christmas lights -- and as it got a tad warm-ish, I stripped off the coat and had just the shirt with a thermal underlayer and it was excellent. It is very baggy -- but to me it is meant for movement, not for tucking into pants.
Wendell

rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Ooops, I just stumbled into the Geriatric's Parlor by accident. I'll take a lemon ginger biscuit and leave.
Richard
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

jww wrote:Gary -- have you tried the latest and greatest versions of Merino wool? This stuff has proven to be wearable for some with even the worst wool reactions.
Wendell, you are perfectly correct. Generally, I can't wear wool next to my skin and I thus have to have my wool trousers lined to the knee. I have, however, found that I can wear Merino wool sweaters next to my skin. I have several such sweaters for cross-country skiing; they cost a fair bit as they're from New Zealand, but they work and don't smell as man-made fabric does when you really sweat (as I do when I ski).

As for the good doctors wool trousers, I'd love to be able to wear them, but as far as I know they aren't lined to the knee.
Bryan
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

rustyblade wrote:Ooops, I just stumbled into the Geriatric's Parlor by accident. I'll take a lemon ginger biscuit and leave.
Oh callow youth! Let's see you in your Tilley hat again :mrgreen:
Bryan
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Rufus wrote:
rustyblade wrote:Ooops, I just stumbled into the Geriatric's Parlor by accident. I'll take a lemon ginger biscuit and leave.
I must admit as I get older I care less what I look like, but I think it will be a long time and an increased level of senility before before I wear a Tilley carefree in public. I still reckon my size 7 7/8 cranium doesn't help in the hat-appearance department.
Richard
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Tilley hats and merino wool -- what a combination. :wink:
Wendell

ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

rustyblade wrote:
Rufus wrote:
I must admit as I get older I care less what I look like, but I think it will be a long time and an increased level of senility before before I wear a Tilley carefree in public. I still reckon my size 7 7/8 cranium doesn't help in the hat-appearance department.
Now Richard is that the way to talk about the best hats on the planet. Especially for some one with such a "big" head. :lol: So happens that my cranium size matches yours. Have had problems finding hats that would really fit and look nice. Found that the Tilley Hats fit well, looked great and did the job of keeping me warm in the winter and the sun off my face in the summer. Of course I have this problem of being follically challenged so I need to wear a hat. Why not give a Tilley Hat a try, I'm sure you will like it and look great in it.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum