Hats for the little guys

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

Wendell, that's a great looking hat. I can imagine not freezing my head off walking from the parking lot to the library in the mornings!
Regards,
Mike
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Had a hard time deciding -- I bought it yesterday in the LL Bean retail store in Victor NY just outside of Rochester. We were making our way back via the US from a business trip I had last week in Toronto.

They had this large Christmas tree in the front of the store with Mad Bombers hanging on it like ornaments -- very nifty idea. I was spoiled for choice -- they had both the black and tan leather (my favourite looking ones, but the leather is actually kinda warm and the ear flaps don't open up like on the standard hat). I liked the black supplex nylon, but it had shedding rabbit fur stuck all over it --- to make it look more salt-and-pepper than black. The white was great -- but I could see it getting really dirty over the winter. The wool tartan ones were awesome looking as well, but the wool seemed really heavy and didn't give me the impression that it would shed the wet near as well as the supplex nylon will.

And so it goes - the story of choosing a new hat. :D
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

my head is kept warmest when i wear a beanie from golightly, a retailer of excellent cashmere products.

Once you wear one, you will never complain about having a cold head ever again.

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Clive -- funny you should mention this --- the best hat I own for when I am outside and active in the winter is a shoftshell beanie from Nike -- I bought it when I used to run, and it gets the nod when I do anything that is active.

But for less active efforts, the mad bomber will be a nice match with my winter Tilley hat.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

A second vote for the mad bomber, I love mine, my daughter has a fabulous purple one.

I'm not what most would consider a little guy (6'4"), and despite being a head shaver I'm not much of a hat wearer. I carry a little sunscreen stick in my pocket during the summer months.

I prefer a summer hat, if I wear one, with a smaller profile than a baseball cap, like a cycling cap or jockey style cap. Baseball caps are just not something I've reconciled myself to wearing, even after nigh on 20 years of living in the USA.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

even after nigh on 20 years of living in the USA
phewwwwwwwww....thought i was the only culturally baseball cap inept person here :lol: :lol:

clive

p.s. off topic, but while i have 'soccer eyes', a trivia question.

When an English football team walks out onto the field, sometimes (all the time) they are accompanied by a group of boys walking alongside the players. What is the provenance of the custom? thanks
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

fallingwickets wrote:
even after nigh on 20 years of living in the USA
phewwwwwwwww....thought i was the only culturally baseball cap inept person here :lol: :lol:

clive

p.s. off topic, but while i have 'soccer eyes', a trivia question.

When an English football team walks out onto the field, sometimes (all the time) they are accompanied by a group of boys walking alongside the players. What is the provenance of the custom? thanks
Well, as far as I know it's little kids (either gender) who can be "mascots" for the day, and they tend to be kids who are getting a special day out for a birthday treat or such like. It's a relatively recent "tradition" and my cynical eyes see it as a way of humanizing the players who are otherwise often seen as spoiled millionaires out of touch with humanity. But no, look, there's Mario Balotelli* with a little kid, awww, cute.

(* I choose Super Mario because many fans see hm as the ultimate freak show. I like him, I have to say).
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Thanks for the info Dominic

clive
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

I love that hat Wendell. If it wasn't 70 degrees here, I would consider it. :D
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I'll be picking out the ribbon treatment on a new custom fedora I am having made up the road in Covington, Tenneseee, at buckaroo hatters. Silverbelly color with what I hope is matching edge binding. Thinking of a little tie-type ribbon in a similar color, maybe smokey light grey, or a say 10 ligne ribbon treatment. Ill post picks when I can get them.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

SRD wrote:Get in touch with Art Fawcett at http://www.vintagesilhouettes.com/. Tell him your concerns and desires. He is outstanding.
I wanted to resurrect this. Art makes great hats, no doubt, but the average price is $350 for beaver and $275 or so for rabbit, and then you need to have the conformers sent to you so figure another $20 in shipping. I have been fitted with one and found out i am a 7 1/8 long oval.

Let me suggest you google buckaroo hatters. $205 for rabbit, $305 for beaver, so a better price. I got a ribbon edge treatment for $25 more.

There is a guy charging even lower, falcon park hattery, but he is running behind. A few guys at fedora lounge were remarking on the sweat bands. But the lids looked nice

One guy, northwest hatter or something like that (google it or go to fedora lounger) is like $125 for rabbit and $175 for beaver.

Art Fawcett does a lite felt hat that a lot of guys like, Major Mike at Buckaroo does not like to work with it. Since I can wear a fedora up to like 70 degrees, and then it is April or so,I might be able to go to a panama hat after that.
SRD

Post by SRD »

Hi Sam. I know Major Mike. We met at a Fedora Lounge get together up in Monteagle a couple of years ago. Really nice and accomplished hatter for sure. For Panamas check out Panama Bob at http://panamas.biz/. Lots of information of the different grades and lots of price points as well.
Dave