Homemade Cordials

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
cjc15153

Homemade Cordials

Post by cjc15153 »

Given that 4711 started as medicine, and how many of you guys have made your own bay rum, I have to think some of you have made your own liqueur.

Yesterday I took:
About 50 leaves of Bay Laurel (not Pimenta racemosa bay)
Zest of 1 lemon
and a cinnamon stick
put them in a jar and dumped 750ml of 151 proof Everclear on them.

When sugar and water and some time are added, I will have Bay Laurel Liqueur or Laurino. People on the internet say it tastes like Chartreuse. Other people on the internet say it takes like toothpaste. Many years ago I made (essentially) a peppermint vodka which also tasted like toothpaste. We'll see if I'm 2 for 2.

What else should I try, or what do you like now that the weather is cooling?
--
I am Chris #6. No relation to Nikki.
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Since you have toothpaste down, why don't you try for Listerine?
Jim
cjc15153

Post by cjc15153 »

I'd prefer my efforts not taste like prophylaxis of any sort. This may be a challenge though, because real Chartreuse has over 100 herbs, so I don't doubt that there is some overlap between the monk's recipe and Trader Joe's all natural toothpaste.
--
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Kyle76 wrote:Since you have toothpaste down, why don't you try for Listerine?
:lol: :lol:

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Sounds like an idea I'd hatch while sampling an earlier experiment.
Regards,
Squire
Reverend Jim

Post by Reverend Jim »

My goodness! I used to have this recipe for home made Kalua (sp?) using vodka and instant coffee that was really pretty good. I must look for it.
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice.
cjc15153

Post by cjc15153 »

After several samplings:
It does not taste like any kind of hygiene product, which is a relief. It is sweet from the sugar and tastes vaguely herbal. Oddly, it suggest cloves more than bay leaves, cinnamon or lemon (the actual ingredients). It has lost a bit of it's harshness since I first bottled it, but it is around 90° and not trying to fool anyone.
--
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

My brother makes his own cordials from fruit that he picks in season, strawberries, raspberries, cranberries, blueberries, I don't know what else. They are mighty good.

He's trained me in the art of consuming them, I don't know anything about making them.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
cjc15153

Post by cjc15153 »

I think of cordials as fruit, and liqueur as herbs, etc. Wikipedia uses them interchangably. I have some frozen rhubarb that I may experiment on.

I'm a bit surprised you never tried your hand at it. Kramper's Finest comes in a flask for gosh sake!
--
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

:D

I have a brother who supplies me, why would I need to? Flasks I have plenty of, time I have little.

I used to brew my own (fantastic I might add) beer. I no longer have the time for that either. I need to clone myself.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square