Some major goings-on at U.P. Steam

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Rufus

Re: Some major goings-on at U.P. Steam

Post by Rufus »

Steam locomotives bring back many happy memories of my youth. I went to boarding school near Bulawayo, which was about 600 miles from home. The best way to get there was by train and that time all the trains were powered by steam locomotives. So at the beginning and end of each term (there were 3 in a year) we'd hop aboard a train for the two and a half day trip along the edge of the Kalahari Desert/Basin. On the train I took we were unsupervised so you can imagine the mischief that we'd get up to, being between the ages of 12-18. We slept 6 to a compartment in the second class cars and had to spend most of the day in the compartment or standing in the corridor until the train made a stop, which was quite frequently. Some times the train went so slowly that you could walk faster than it. The big drawback of travel by steam train was the soot, which would get up your nose and leave a fine film on everything; remember theses were the days before air-conditioning so in the heat you had to have the windows wide open all the time otherwise you'd boil to death. The other thing was that the washing facilities on the train were rather primitive being a washbasin in each compartment with only cold water available. Nevertheless, it was a lot of fun and I have many fond memories of the train trips I made over my 6 years at secondary school and every time I see a steam locomotive It conjures up these memories.
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm glad Scrapyard is on top of this. I don't know anything about the old locomotives, except that I really like them, always have. They're monsters! I am curious as to how much maintenance has to be done to keep a steam engine in top running order, as opposed to the diesels. I suppose fuel is a major factor to consider.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Big Boy? I think that was the model from the local Allied Trains toy store I had as a kid. I wanted the real thing (can't we park it in the backyard, Dad?), it was so indestructable looking and all. My first acquisition disorder (followed by a Bellanca Viking and Helio Super Courier). This certainly sets the nostalgia throttles to full steam ahead.<sigh>

*There have also been efforts afoot to restore the S.S. United States, the biggest, fastest, greatest steam-driven passenger ship ever built in this country. Consistent funding has been hard to come by. I hope she ends up as lucky as the Big Boy.
Ron
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

brothers wrote:I'm glad Scrapyard is on top of this. I don't know anything about the old locomotives, except that I really like them, always have. They're monsters! I am curious as to how much maintenance has to be done to keep a steam engine in top running order, as opposed to the diesels. I suppose fuel is a major factor to consider.
A lot Gary! My wife and I knew a gent in another state who ran one and he was always working on it.

But they're just too cool!
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

rsp1202 wrote:*There have also been efforts afoot to restore the S.S. United States, the biggest, fastest, greatest steam-driven passenger ship ever built in this country. Consistent funding has been hard to come by. I hope she ends up as lucky as the Big Boy.
You can follow the efforts to restore the "Big U" at this website: http://www.ssusc.org/
~Greg
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Thanks Greg, I had no idea such a thing still existed.
Regards,
Squire
Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

WooHoo! Another huge update.(though not Union Pacific related) An official campaign has been initiated to raise funds in order to restore Norfolk & Western #611 to running condition.

http://fireup611.org/the-611/

NW 611 was active during the 80's and early 90's but the Norfolk Southern Railroad shut down the steam excursion program in 1994 and 611 was put in a museum. Here is a video of her in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6lWBp2APrQ
~Greg
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Stunning
Regards,
Squire
mikey

Post by mikey »

See my post below.

Thanks,
Mike
Last edited by mikey on Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Exapno

Post by Exapno »

jww wrote:So apparently the steam locomotive and railway is very much alive in the UK.
Steam is very much alive in the UK, albeit for tourism rather than transport (the Heritage railway lines).

http://steamrailwaylines.co.uk/index.htm

I've been on a couple of the railways listed on that site, Swanage and the Northampton and Lamport. In a work capacity I visited Tanfield "The World's Oldest" Railway, which is a fascinating place. I had to film a journey in the cab with the engineer and the fireman. It's a fairly dirty ride in the cab but I was aware that many people would have gladly switched places with me.
"I don't know whether my life has been a success or a failure. But not having any anxiety about becoming one instead of the other, and just taking things as they come along, I've had a lot of extra time to enjoy life."
mikey

Post by mikey »

Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

Prepping for transport to Cheyenne is underway. Piston valves have been removed from the chambers and primary connecting rods are in the process of removal. No date has been set thus far for the beginning of the move. (tracks need to be laid from the display to the main line)

~Greg
Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

Some more goodies. Union Pacific has been uploading video updates on the 4014 project to YouTube. They don't upload regularly, but it is interesting to see what is going on.

http://www.youtube.com/user/UnionPacificRailroad/videos
~Greg
brothers

Post by brothers »

Greg, thanks for the links. I really enjoy seeing hearing about the project. It's nice to know the company is doing a first class job on the old engine. i'm going to have to spend some time watching as many of the videos as I can.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

Temporary track being laid for the beginning of the move to Cheyenne!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUH4Uu0Moqs
~Greg