Battle of the Bulge

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Spenser

Post by Spenser »

Well said JT
"Life is tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne
Spenser

Post by Spenser »

sorry for the duplicate post
Last edited by Spenser on Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

One of the most important changes we made to our eating habits was to be committed to get 7-8 glasses of water daily. I read all about how drinking actually contributes to reduce or eliminate hunger pain, but until I experienced it first hand, I simply couldn't get my head around the notion. Every morning now, when I get up, I can't get moving without 3 8oz glasses of water before I do anything including shower, shave, etc. Even traveling, I try to do this.

A second water related change that I am convinced made a difference is that I drink a full table spoon of lemon juice in a mug of hot water every morning. It gives something of a morning kick-start to the digestive system. Again another one of those have to try it to believe it things. I noticed a distinct difference when I didn't do it regularly over the past Christmas break.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Wendell, with all that water, don't you spend a lot of time in the men's room?
Jim
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

@Kyle76 :)
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
Spenser

Post by Spenser »

Okay, I give up, I'm a dummy
@Kyle76
what does that mean?
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Kyle76 wrote:Wendell, with all that water, don't you spend a lot of time in the men's room?
Sure do -- but given that our bodies are already high-content H2O, it has a long term benefit.

A few trots to the WC is of little inconvenience when considering all the factors.
Wendell

Fishin Phil

Post by Fishin Phil »

Spenser wrote:Okay, I give up, I'm a dummy
@Kyle76
what does that mean?
He is laughing at Kyle's comment.
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

jww wrote:
Kyle76 wrote:Wendell, with all that water, don't you spend a lot of time in the men's room?
Sure do -- but given that our bodies are already high-content H2O, it has a long term benefit.

A few trots to the WC is of little inconvenience when considering all the factors.
If I'm not mistaken, we should all be shooting for clear...ahem...results in the men's, correct? And if not, find some water and drink it?
Regards,
Mike
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

maskaggs wrote:If I'm not mistaken, we should all be shooting for clear...ahem...results in the men's, correct? And if not, find some water and drink it?
I am no doctor -- but yes, that is what I understand as well. When traveling, I find it much harder to get all that water into me, and yet, flying can dehydrate you --- a bit of a two-edged sword that.
Wendell

rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Re: WC visits. I like Roger Ebert's quote of Shakespeare: "As the man says in the play, 'for this relief, much thanks.'"
http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2010/02 ... londo.html

Re: lemon juice. My grandparents were taking healthy doses of this with hot water in the morning, so it's an old home remedy. They were happy folk. :wink:
Ron
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

Gone back to indoor rock climbing after a year out.

If ever there was a motivation for losing a few pounds it's hanging upside-down from your fingertips 10ft up with no rope.
Spenser

Post by Spenser »

Your my hero :!:

I have a great, famous I guess, ice climbing city near me, Ouray Colorado. Its called the Switzerland of America, maybe you've heard of it, they hold a Championship event every year.

Only two reasons I don't get into that sport. 1) Courage and 2) Strength. I've stood inside these indoor rock climbing buildings and considered it, that's as far as I've gotten.

Best wishes for success in your adventure. :D and I'm not kidding, I really admire someone who can do this.
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

Spenser wrote:Your my hero :!:

I have a great, famous I guess, ice climbing city near me, Ouray Colorado. Its called the Switzerland of America, maybe you've heard of it, they hold a Championship event every year.

Only two reasons I don't get into that sport. 1) Courage and 2) Strength. I've stood inside these indoor rock climbing buildings and considered it, that's as far as I've gotten.

Best wishes for success in your adventure. :D and I'm not kidding, I really admire someone who can do this.
Never tried Ice Climbing, but Ouray does look like one of the best places on the planet to do it!

I have sons who have lots of fads and I seem to get persuaded to have a go at everything they do ... as well as being a handy (free) taxi service for them.

In the last few years they've had me doing Judo, Airsoft, Snowboarding, Capoeira, Scuba diving, Fencing, Golf, Clay Pidgeon (Skeet) Shooting and Kendo.

I dread to think what else they'll think of !!!
Spenser

Post by Spenser »

Pretty funny Vinny, a big part of staying young is in your attitude (write that down, and refer to it later :wink: ) Sounds like your having great fun with your boys.
Spenser

Post by Spenser »

Okay you guys, belly up to the bar.

Been about a month for me, have lost 11 lbs, blood pressure has dropped from near 160/110 to 120/80. Hard to believe 11 lbs has that much effect, but Doctor says its the weight as he has not changed the medication.

I will be very happy with 9 lbs in February, that would make it 20 down and 20 to go. :lol:
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

=D> =D> =D> =D>
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
Fishin Phil

Post by Fishin Phil »

Good job Spenser!

I've lost 48 so far, but I have been at it since the end of August. Only 13 more to hit my goal weight of 180 lb.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Well done all --- I can't believe it was a year ago I started dropping my weight and have been able to easily kept it off even over Christmas. The best thing about losing weight isn't the new wardrobe, although I admit that is pretty nice -- it's the ability to go up and down two flights of stairs from my office to our rec room in the basement, without feeling all blown out. :D
Wendell

JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

I am still making adjustments to the lifestyle. It is a process. At the moment, I am focusing on my medication. I am thinking my BP med may be too strong. I got into a situation where I failed to eat before church this past Sunday and I ended up with a massive drop in BP & blood sugar and got the point I was actually losing vision.

After eating lunch and taking a long nap I recovered nicely. However, I am now convinced that my BP might be getting too low. So if I can get the meds right...I can work on the other two aspects of this battle...diet and exercise.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...