Battle of the Bulge

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Bobwhite

Diabetic

Post by Bobwhite »

A good movie to rent is "Fat, sick, and Almost Dead." It's about a man from Australia who came to America for 30 days and didn't eat any of our food. He juiced vegetables and got off of allot of meds etc. It's a real motivator.

I cut back on beer, meat (except for fish), and all grains by about 90%. I eliminated processed food including diet sodas entirely. I'm slowly but consistently loosing weight, and no longer need blood pressure meds.

Raw fruits and vegetables may sound boring, but I'm surprised at the new flavors, textures, and colors that I've been missing.

There are hundreds of videos on you tube on raw food. Juicing, blending and salads etc.
Spenser

Post by Spenser »

Thank you Bobwhite, I'll look that movie up. Sounds like I can use that to my advantage.

My goal (well, one of) is to get OFF blood pressure med, doc says maybe in 3 months if keep losing lbs and keep it off.

Also planning on garden this spring (we still have spring don't we ?) Organic as much as possible.

Trip to doc this week and he said I am no longer OBESE, that has got to be the ugliest word in the English language.

hip-hip-horay :lol:
"Life is tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Good for you Spenser!
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Bobwhite

Re: Diabetic

Post by Bobwhite »

Bobwhite wrote:A good movie to rent is "Fat, sick, and Almost Dead." It's about a man from Australia who came to America for 30 days and didn't eat any of our food. He juiced vegetables and got off of allot of meds etc. It's a real motivator.

I cut back on beer, meat (except for fish), and all grains by about 90%. I eliminated processed food including diet sodas entirely. I'm slowly but consistently loosing weight, and no longer need blood pressure meds.

Raw fruits and vegetables may sound boring, but I'm surprised at the new flavors, textures, and colors that I've been missing.

There are hundreds of videos on you tube on raw food. Juicing, blending and salads etc.

Correction!: Its called Fat Sick and Nearly Dead.
Spenser

Post by Spenser »

No problem Bobwhite, realized the difference in title when started looking. Couldn't find to rent but found on the internet for only 10 bucks. Its on the way.

What would life be like without the internet. :wink:
dosco

Post by dosco »

Spenser, glad to hear you're working your way to your goal.

Conceptually weight loss is pretty simple, eat less and exercise more, repeat.

Of course, sticking with a diet can be a bit of a challenge.

For me the ketogenic (low carbohydrate) diets work very well, I feel well, am able to lose weight fairly rapidly, and sticking to the diet is relatively easy. Keto diets aren't for everyone. If you are diabetic it could be a problem as some people have had issues with runaway diabetic ketoacidosis.

You could also try a protein-sparing modified fast (PSMF), which is a hardcore keto type diet, but you should do your research before engaging in such an endeavor. With that said I have heard of many folks using a PSMF with outstanding results. It is on my list of things to try but I haven't yet completed my research.

The other thing you should keep in mind, though, to make sticking with the diet easier is to include a once-a-week "cheat day" or "cheat meal" where you can eat pretty much whatever you want. Again it has less to do with the mechanics of weight loss and more to do with diet compliance.

As far as exercise I enjoy lifting weights. There are multiple regimes one can consider, low reps and heavy for strength, and higher reps with lighter weights for muscle "depletion." I have had a continuous membership at the local gym for over 10 years and I really think that the exercise is a big help, both physically and mentally.

I used to be a bicyclist and I used to ride a lot, but then life got in the way. I don't really have the time for it these days, I miss it, and I am certainly not in peak condition these days when compared to my riding days ... then again it could be worse.
Spenser

Post by Spenser »

Hey dosco

You are in serious trouble. We agree on way too many things.

Weight loss simple ?? yes and no. Kidding a little. :wink:

Was doing P90X (workout area in garage) until COLD weather drove inside. I mean COLD, maybe your in Florida, if so you don't know COLD. Do road work when I can, but really miss the physical as well as mental workout that lifting provides.

Have been on Isagentics and have success, but it is tough. Striving to get on vegitatarian diet. Reading about pH balance diet, and think that is area I'm headed.

Enjoy your comments.
Spenser

Post by Spenser »

Ugh, #X@!^#, did not reach goal for February, @!#*#. :cry:

But did get below 200 lbs for the first time in 15 years. :lol:

The movie, Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead - mentioned earlier by Bobwhite, is both funny, informative, and motivational. Okay, so that's 3, all the more reason to see this dvd.

Some habits are hard to break, but keepin' the faith. :wink:
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

I won't bore anyone with too many details. I will just say this. I am 100 pounds lighter with significantly more muscle than I had two years ago. I lost most of the weight in a short period of time and have maintained that weight loss long enough to feel good about my long-term prospects. The research says that diet is more important than exercise for weight loss, while consistent exercise matters more for long-term weight maintenance than does diet. My own experience bears this out. Both matter, but focus on intake to get the weight down, guys.

I find Precision Nutrition to be an effective approach with its emphasis on habits and long-term adherence to a flexible, healthy lifestyle; that said, I lost 70+ pounds on a very strict, unsustainable diet. I had tried and failed the slow and steady approach many times, and seeing lots of weight fall off quickly gave me the motivation I needed to continue. Which is to say that while I appreciate lifestyle change and think it is necessary, I also believe in doing whatever it takes.

I'm glad I did what I did when I did. My ability to be a good father, husband, and teacher has been infinitely improved by the gains in health, confidence, and energy I have enjoyed. Keep up the hard work, gents! Lots of success stories here!
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau