Oprah and Lance Armstrong

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Spenser

Oprah and Lance Armstrong

Post by Spenser »

I watched the Oprah interviews with Lance Armstrong and was struck by his inability to realize what a jerk he has been, apparently all his life. We all need mirrors in our life, someone to check our attitudes, behavior, and goals.

Another thing of interest to me was that he never used the word - cancer - not once, usually referred to it as the diagnosis. Maybe that is some kind of inter motivation for him and gives him strength.

The media is full of criticism for his lack of emotion and just answering the questions in a detached manner. I thought that also until the end when he talked of his sons and daughters and Oprah had to ask him several times what he told them. He really fought back showing any emotion and managed to say that he told his son not to stick up for him anymore and just tell people that his Dad said he was sorry. Finally, a crack in his regimen.

Apparently the media had gathered several of his teammates to watch the interview and give there opinion. They said they had never seen him so contrite. That may put this in better perspective than anything else.

A least he was clean shaven. :wink:
"Life is tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

He's nothing but a fraudster: a cheat, thief and liar. Good riddance to bad rubbish.
Bryan
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

I have little use for either one of them.
Jim
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Kyle76 wrote:I have little use for either one of them.
Well -- I am a big cycling fan, and get that the sport has major problems. And yes, I drank the Lance Kool-Aid when he won 7 in a row -- but, never, ever did I like him as a person. I read his first book "It's Not About The Bike" -- and thought maybe this guy was special, then he dumped his wife whose strength he states was the difference for him pulling through his cancer. Then treated Sheryl Crow in a most un-gentlemanly way - and on and on. He's just a nasty man on a nasty power trip.

The sad fallout is the LIVESTRONG foundation -- if I were the CEO, I'd be looking at taking the financial hit and re-branding. Change the name, the brand colour, everything ---- before it's too late. They have done excellent work in helping cancer victims and survivors. The core of LIVESGTRONG isn't research, but being able to support those affected by the disease. This morning, I took off my bracelet which I had been wearing for over a decade. I don't know if I'll put it back on or not.

As for Oprah doing the interview -- the toughest question she has ever asked is "How much am going to make from this?". Dr. Phil would have done a better job -- and that's not saying much is it????

I watched all of 6 minutes of both broadcasts and was literally sickened by his bravado and total lack of acknowledging what a megalomaniac he is.

I am sorry he had a tough time dealing with his dishonesty with his 13 year old son. I am sorry that LIVESTRONG has to go through such a difficult media bonanza because of his behavior. Am I sorry he's banned? Not one bit.

A can't disagree with any of the bad press Mr A is now getting. Nor do I feel bad that he received "... the death penalty." You take the risk, you pay the consequences. I think that's the adult thing to do. Don't try to be contrite when your every move indicates quite the opposite.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

Rufus wrote:He's nothing but a fraudster: a cheat, thief and liar. Good riddance to bad rubbish.
+1. He is an embarrassment to the athletic world and I suspect his admission has far more to do with wanting to compete (you know, for real this time) than actual guilt or sorrow for having done wrong.
Regards,
Mike
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

It's a bad/sad situation all the way around. A lot of people supported him in the begining and look what they're left with. A bunch of law suits and ruined lives.
Hindsight is always 20/20 I know, but a person in his position should have been honest years ago and avoid the backlash he started.

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

jww wrote:
Kyle76 wrote:I have little use for either one of them.
Well -- I am a big cycling fan, and get that the sport has major problems. And yes, I drank the Lance Kool-Aid when he won 7 in a row -- but, never, ever did I like him as a person. I read his first book "It's Not About The Bike" -- and thought maybe this guy was special, then he dumped his wife whose strength he states was the difference for him pulling through his cancer. Then treated Sheryl Crow in a most un-gentlemanly way - and on and on. He's just a nasty man on a nasty power trip.

The sad fallout is the LIVESTRONG foundation -- if I were the CEO, I'd be looking at taking the financial hit and re-branding. Change the name, the brand colour, everything ---- before it's too late. They have done excellent work in helping cancer victims and survivors. The core of LIVESGTRONG isn't research, but being able to support those affected by the disease. This morning, I took off my bracelet which I had been wearing for over a decade. I don't know if I'll put it back on or not.

As for Oprah doing the interview -- the toughest question she has ever asked is "How much am going to make from this?". Dr. Phil would have done a better job -- and that's not saying much is it????

I watched all of 6 minutes of both broadcasts and was literally sickened by his bravado and total lack of acknowledging what a megalomaniac he is.

I am sorry he had a tough time dealing with his dishonesty with his 13 year old son. I am sorry that LIVESTRONG has to go through such a difficult media bonanza because of his behavior. Am I sorry he's banned? Not one bit.

A can't disagree with any of the bad press Mr A is now getting. Nor do I feel bad that he received "... the death penalty." You take the risk, you pay the consequences. I think that's the adult thing to do. Don't try to be contrite when your every move indicates quite the opposite.
Same here, I couldn't be bothered to listen past the "Yes" answers, the rest was too annoying.

I saw through Lance years ago, and was often viewed as something of a kook by people when his name came up in conversation. His exposure has been so complete even I'm surprised.

I believe his avoidance of the use of the word cancer was down to trying to avoid accusations on fusing the "cancer shield" defense. He's been known as Cancer Jesus in certain cynical circles for quite some time.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

I am sick of these "charities". His organization is just a front group for collecting donations and forwarding them to Planned Parenthood.
Ed
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Ed, that comes as a big surprise to me, so I binged it, and right away up comes this from last February:

http://www.lifenews.com/2012/02/03/lanc ... arenthood/
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

Dig a little deeper, and you'll find that 100 grand to the nation's leading provider of reproductive healthcare is nothing compared to the money raised by Armstrong personally.

Half a million dollars for a bike ride:
http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-860283

$400,000 "appearance fee" for Oslo in 2009, (not to mention breaking 501 (c) (3) regulations):
http://reader.roopstigo.com/view/roopst ... chapter/1/
Dominic
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

A little more news today, as LA says he won't work with USADA. I don't know much about the cycling world, so perhaps nobody really likes or respects USADA. But my impression is that he could gain an enormous amount of goodwill - or at least whatever amount is available to someone who attached their own name to a bike and dragged it through the mud while yelling "I never doped!" - by cooperating with them and turning around as a straight-shooting athlete.
Regards,
Mike
Spenser

Post by Spenser »

I have found myself 'sorta' feeling sorry for this guy, he just doesn't get it - BUT - methinks I'm wrong. He gets it, he just doesn't give a rip. So much talent, what a waste.

I guess he hears a different drummer, but I'm real tired of his act.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

It's been a couple of weeks since I took of my bracelet, and expect that it will never go back on my wrist. I am now very tired of the entire entourage and hope that it will all simply go quietly. Luckily the NCAAs are heating up, hockey is back for those interested, ManUnited is still in the hunt for the FA Cup (one which I feel they are way overdue in winning) as well as Champions League and MLB spring training gets going shortly. Plenty of interest to elbow the Armstrong story out of the headlines now, I would think.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Spenser

Post by Spenser »

Lance WHO :?:
paddy

Post by paddy »

it's amazing how many people, particularly our usa brethern, still believed in the lance myth and defended him right up until last year.

all the evidence that he was doped to the gills has been out there for years for all to see. anyone with half a brain and objectivity would have figured it out long ago.
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
celar36

Post by celar36 »

I never had been interested in Lance but there is one thing we should take under consideration.

People who choose a person to be their hero in some way, always will believe he is good and he didnt do nothing bad, why?

We make a personal connection with values he represent within his persona. We try to follow these values during our life to become better man/women. Humans for long time need something/someone to believe and take example.

Now after many years going by these values we learn the persona, who we took example from, is everything but opposite to what we believe is. This moment is devastating as all of our life way is falling into ruins and there is no hero, so we try to block all bad information and still believe he is not bad.

Getting rid and stop obeying these values is hard, we should cut some slack init? People need time to adjust and find replacement

This is my honest opinion.
Jack
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

paddy wrote:it's amazing how many people, particularly our usa brethern, still believed in the lance myth and defended him right up until last year.

all the evidence that he was doped to the gills has been out there for years for all to see. anyone with half a brain and objectivity would have figured it out long ago.
Wow, Paddy, a little harsh? People want to believe in heroes, particularly those who have overcome tremendous adversity. I don't think that's strictly an American thing.
Jim
brothers

Post by brothers »

I think the main problem I've had with the bicycle thing was that they supposedly have some kind of testing that's done, and all I ever heard was that the tests showed positive, and he just said, no it's not, I don't cheat, and nothing happened. I really do hate the mindset nowadays that everybody is expected to, and encouraged to, lie, cheat, steal, whatever, and it's all good. Those who dare to try to enforce rules are laughed at.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
paddy

Post by paddy »

yes, it is harsh, but it's true.

probably one of the few true things about the lance armstrong story!
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

paddy wrote:yes, it is harsh, but it's true.

probably one of the few true things about the lance armstrong story!
I feel the same as Paddy. The number of times I've been looked at like some sort of kook for suggesting Lance was doping is astronomical. I admit I took longer than I should have to be convinced, but the evidence was there for all to see.

Really, any time millions of dollars are at stake for athletic performance, suspicion of winning by any means necessary must come into play. Add in the unexpected success of an athlete who was previously not up to the task, and the suspicions increase exponentially. (Anyone for tennis?)

jww wrote:ManUnited is still in the hunt for the FA Cup (one which I feel they are way overdue in winning)
Oh please! :wink: Try waiting since 1973. You people who follow a team that you expect to win everything all the time, you're missing the true spirit of football fandom (that would be soul crushing defeat and depression - see Liverpool, Spurs, Norwich only this weekend, and Sunderland more often than not :lol: )
Dominic