Stay safe, Northeast brothers

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Kyle76

Stay safe, Northeast brothers

Post by Kyle76 »

Hopefully, Nemo won't be a major catastrophe. Keep us posted about conditions, if you can.
Jim
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

+1.......after what you've been through, I hope all is well with you and your families.

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

High winds and big drifts here - it's just light enough to see. I shall have two mugs of tea then go and try to get to the hospital for rounds. If lucky I can bash through with the Expedition. If not, I'm wading through the snow and that's hard work (I don't have Wendell's facility with snowshoes).

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Spenser

Post by Spenser »

I've got snow today and still snowing, but nothing like what I see on television for the northeast. Heart felt best wishes and prayers for you guys and your families.
"Life is tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

We got blasted yesterday with a big one. Most snow in over five years. It had to have been over 24 hours of continuous heavy snow which only let up last night. I must have cleaned the snow outside at least ten times.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Just another typical snowstorm day in Ottawa yesterday ..... I think the total snow fall was around 20 cm give or take. Nothing we haven't faced before. South-east and south-west of us was/is another story altogether though. N'or Easters can pack a wallop and a half and then some.

On a somewhat lighter side of observation, my son in Toronto tweeted how his native hometown of Ottawa handles the snow removal with typical aplomb, while with yesterday's snow, his adopted hometown of Toronto hadn't had any removal equipment out near his place in Bloor-Court (downtown core) at all during the day. We're so used to it here, even some of the really big dumps (50+ cm in 24 hours a couple of years ago) haven't crippled the city in the past. I consider ourselves lucky on that front.

My solution on snow days is to simply work from my home office until the evening, dig us out, and make a trip to Ikea where the store is empty and you have the run of the restaurant ..... :wink: :shock:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

jww wrote:Just another typical snowstorm day in Ottawa yesterday ..... I think the total snow fall was around 20 cm give or take. Nothing we haven't faced before. South-east and south-west of us was/is another story altogether though. N'or Easters can pack a wallop and a half and then some.

On a somewhat lighter side of observation, my son in Toronto tweeted how his native hometown of Ottawa handles the snow removal with typical aplomb, while with yesterday's snow, his adopted hometown of Toronto hadn't had any removal equipment out near his place in Bloor-Court (downtown core) at all during the day. We're so used to it here, even some of the really big dumps (50+ cm in 24 hours a couple of years ago) haven't crippled the city in the past. I consider ourselves lucky on that front.

My solution on snow days is to simply work from my home office until the evening, dig us out, and make a trip to Ikea where the store is empty and you have the run of the restaurant ..... :wink: :shock:

You're dead right Wendell on snow removal in Ottawa vs Toronto. I lived in Ottawa for 10 years and Montreal for 8 years before that and have lived just outside TO to the south west for 20years, our snowfall yesterday was approximately 30 cm (about 12 inches) and you'd think it was the end of the world; remember when Mayor Mel Lastman called on the army to help with snow removal a few years ago? When I lived in Ottawa and Montreal we referred to this part of Ontario as the "banana belt" due to the relatively mild winters we have here. Mind you, Ottawa is known as "that subarctic lumbering town". :D
Bryan
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

I once spent a winter in Quebec City, and snow removal was daily and very professional. No big deal to get it done right.

I hope no one of SMF loses power!
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
GregPQ

Post by GregPQ »

I live in a Boston suburb. 5th worst snowstorm in Boston history. Bought a snowblower a couple years ago and today was the first time I needed it. Sure glad I had it.

This was late in the day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfdCkG8Sq9w

Greg
Fiat lux, et facta est lux. Que la lumière soit, et la lumière fut. Let there be light, and there was light.
changabang

Post by changabang »

Just another day in paradise. 8)
James Nicks
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

My best to all of you faced with this extreme weather.

- Murray
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Nothing major in central Maine. We had a lot of snow (no idea how much because of drifting) and plenty of wind. No public utility supplied power outage either. The southern Maine coast got the worst of it from what I gathered from the talking heads.

Two more months and we'll definitely be headed the other way as far as the weather.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

glad to read all are well. thankfully not as bad as predicted, for my section of the world anyway

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

To cap off the weekend, today was an absolutely gorgeous day! In the low 30s with mild breezes and bright warm sun.

I had a couple on the hook waiting to finish their range session to complete their handgun class and it was an absolutely fantastic day for it.

As usual after a class where I'm the instructor and the range officer, I was absolutely exhausted mentally. I just wanted to take a very long nap. But the day was fantastic! 2 more fantastic "salt of the earth" folks with their CC permits. And one of the couple a new handgunner and the first time she ever used a handgun.
Brian

Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

ShadowsDad wrote:To cap off the weekend, today was an absolutely gorgeous day! In the low 30s with mild breezes and bright warm sun.

I had a couple on the hook waiting to finish their range session to complete their handgun class and it was an absolutely fantastic day for it.

As usual after a class where I'm the instructor and the range officer, I was absolutely exhausted mentally. I just wanted to take a very long nap. But the day was fantastic! 2 more fantastic "salt of the earth" folks with their CC permits. And one of the couple a new handgunner and the first time she ever used a handgun.
=D> =D> =D> =D>
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
brothers

Post by brothers »

As they say, Brian, back to work! :lol:
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Happy to hear all have weathered the storm -- no pun intended.

Today we have freezing rain in the forecast for most of the day -- and that is never any fun to deal with regardless of how good or not-so-good the local snow removal is.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Gary, I almost wish I was "back to work", almost ! I've never worked so hard or put more of myself into anything until I was retired.

I sure do get far more enjoyment and fulfillment out of it than I ever got out of working for someone for a weekly paycheck. They never appreciated anything extra or superlative, so after awhile one simply doesn't do it anymore. I absolutely love helping good folks though, and the look on their faces when they realize "I can do this!". It takes it's toll on me, but it's worth it. I just need to find a way to deal with it, like maybe a nap. Hey, I'm an older fart, I'm due a power nap! :lol:
Brian