Coffee - Moka Pot

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
RazorRamone

Coffee - Moka Pot

Post by RazorRamone »

I love strong coffee. I walked by a moka pot today and decided to buy it. I recalled watching a video on YouTube on how people made espresso-like coffee with this stove top brewing process.

Does anyone have suggestions as to a widely available espresso roast to try?

The stronger the better...

RR
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

Illy seems like a quality go-to brand. I had a moka pot once upon a time and drank Illy when I could afford it. You should be able to find it at a lot of standard grocers.
Regards,
Mike
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

Moka pot is also good for regular strength coffee. I use mine every morning.
Rich
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I use the starbucks expresso.....it does the job, but ive also used the pot with regular coffee and its just as tasty......well the whole process from start to finish gives a cup of coffee that extra appeal.

enjoy and use in good health

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
GregPQ

Post by GregPQ »

I've had good luck with Peets Major Dickason's blend.

Here's a trick that will reduce any metallic taste you may notice in the moka brew: preheat the water before you fill up the moka pot--almost to boiling.

Cheers,
Greg
Fiat lux, et facta est lux. Que la lumière soit, et la lumière fut. Let there be light, and there was light.
nteeman

Post by nteeman »

Intelligentsia Black Cat is the espresso to die for! (not cheap!)

http://www.intelligentsiacoffee.com/pro ... project/hb
-Neal (DE user since 1998)
I shave therefore I am

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Intelligentsia Black Cat
thanks for the rec

clive
RazorRamone

Post by RazorRamone »

Thanks for the suggestions. I enjoy my new panic attacks as a result of high caffeine levels. Hahaha!!
wenestvedt

Post by wenestvedt »

GregPQ wrote:I've had good luck with Peets Major Dickason's blend.
Greg, I would be worried if you hadn't! I love that stuff.

Moka pots are fun, but don't let yours boil too much or it will spray evil, hard-to-remove coffee tar all over your stove. :7(
cjc15153

Post by cjc15153 »

Inspired by this thread, I bought a stainless steel Primula 6-cup off of Amazon. So far I've used Folgers run through a burr grinder (about as you'd expect) and some Sumatra that I roasted myself (via Sweet Maria's and much better). It is a bit more acidic and inferior to my Aeropress, but better than the average shot I get from my 15-bar DeLonghi (except when I got very lucky.)

Roasting your own is as easy and cheap using a popcorn popper.
--
I am Chris #6. No relation to Nikki.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I;ll look for the link later (hopefully if i can remember) but yesterday there was a story out about moka pot that works in the microwave oven :shock:

clive
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

dosco

Post by dosco »

cjc15153 wrote:Roasting your own is as easy and cheap using a popcorn popper.
I tried this and was unable to get the darkness of roast that I desire. I ended up using a dry frying pan.

One thing I will say is that the roasting process stinks ... literally. I was surprised.

Now grinding freshly roasted coffee ... *that* was something special.
cjc15153

Post by cjc15153 »

My beans roast to oily smoking black if I'm not careful. My complaint with the popper method is that I only roast 100 grams per batch, which is annoyingly small.

And yes it smells arguably worse than boiling beer (though I've grown to like that smell.) And sometimes there is chaff flying around.

But the lower cost per pound, and the smell of the roasted beans and the coffee itself keep me at it.
--
I am Chris #6. No relation to Nikki.
wenestvedt

Post by wenestvedt »

I grew up about two blocks from a shop that roasted their own coffee, and that's about the minimum distance for the smell to be nice.

My parents -- more than comfortable in the kitchen -- tried roasting some green beans themselves and we ended up fleeing the house! Good times, good times....
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

And yes it smells arguably worse than boiling beer
tried roasting some green beans themselves and we ended up fleeing the house!
a far cry from the bloggers. merchanters etc who romanticize the ^#$#& out of roasting at home.....LOL

clive
brothers

Post by brothers »

A few years ago, there was a local coffee plant sitting alongside a well traveled thoroughfare. It was on the way to a state college where a great many of us commuted on a daily basis. On the days they roasted the coffee, it was common to see folks (who didn't know what the smell was, obviously) pulled over with the hood up, peering down to see if the car had caught fire. True. It happened to several of our college friends.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
wenestvedt

Post by wenestvedt »

Tonight it was raining as I drove home, so the thick smoke from the Autocrat Coffee plant -- which next to the freeway, merely behind a row of trees -- had settled across the road like a wall of fog.

I blasted my A/C to suck in as much as possible and took deep, joyous breaths of the lovely stink until it dissipated.

Love it! I just won't live in it!

- Will
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

:lol: :lol:
dosco

Post by dosco »

cjc15153 wrote:And yes it smells arguably worse than boiling beer (though I've grown to like that smell.) And sometimes there is chaff flying around.
Haha. I homebrew as well.

Before the hops go in, the boiling mess smells like breakfast.

After the hops go in, it smells. I like it too. Back when I first learned how to homebrew, a friend and I brewed our first batch together (this was in 1993). After the hops went into the boil, his father, an Air Force Senior Master Sergeant, said "it smells like a five dollar whore in here." I had a great belly laugh over that one, lol.