Went for a test drive.

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I've been driving with a stick for over 47 years and wouldn't do without at least one of our cars having one. Interestingly, SWMBO also enjoys driving with a stick. Both she and I learned to drive with a stick and we could only take our first driving licence test in a car equipped with a stick. Of the 3 cars we currently own, 2 have a stick; the third, an SUV, didn't offer a stick.
Bryan
dosco

Post by dosco »

rustyblade wrote:If the vehicle is a daily driver and if you are in stop and go traffic, I would take an auto over stick all the time.
An understandable personal preference. I have no issue with a stick in traffic but to each their own.

Also, automatics have become so advanced that they are often more fuel efficient than vehicles equipped with manuals.
It depends. In real-world driving the EPA figures can be very misleading.

I can employ a couple of hypermiling techniques with my 2010 4-cylinder Accord (with a stick) and routinely attain 31 mpg in mixed city/highway driving. My previous car, a 1999 Toyota Camry with automatic transmission, the best I could do with the hypermiling techniques (on the very same commute) was 27 mpg. As a point of reference the Accord has a 2.4L engine and the Camry had a 2.2L engine.

With the Camry this involved quite a bit of shifting in and out of neutral (while driving) which I am sure would have an impact on the life of the transmission - but I started using the methods only in the last year of my ownership of the car.

With the Accord I can short-shift into 4th or 5th gear going 25 mph to minimize revs and maximize throttle opening. Can't do that with an automatic. Also I can pop in and out of gear with no impact on the transmission. I only wish that it had a 6-speed instead of a 5-speed, but what can you do?

I have my doubts that an automatic could attain higher mileage figures than a stick, excluding the use of a CVT of course.
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

jww wrote:I clearly missed you tried a 2-door and 4-door -- -for some reason I thought they were both 4-doors. I stand corrected.
No, you were right, Wendell. All of the cars that I have test-driven have had four doors.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
dosco

Post by dosco »

GA Russell wrote:
jww wrote:I clearly missed you tried a 2-door and 4-door -- -for some reason I thought they were both 4-doors. I stand corrected.
No, you were right, Wendell. All of the cars that I have test-driven have had four doors.
My bad. My apologies to Wendell, I assumed you had driven a 2 door.

That whole thing about assuming ... ass-u-me (except all me in this case).
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

dosco wrote:
GA Russell wrote:
My bad. My apologies to Wendell, I assumed you had driven a 2 door.

That whole thing about assuming ... ass-u-me (except all me in this case).
Lots of apologies over the past couple of days.

So -- I will revert to my original post that has me wondering if there is something up when two of the same models feel different. It just doesn't sound right to me anymore.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

some cars should just not be manual. a mini being one of them....if you drive in traffic and need an automatic for that buy another car :lol: :lol:

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
dosco

Post by dosco »

GA Russell wrote:Of the four mid-size sport sedans I drove, the Honda felt the worst - the ride was too firm for me. But everything that I read indicates that the 2013 Accord is the one to get.

So I went back to the Honda dealer today and test drove the base Accord (the LX), and liked it better. Then the salesman suggested that I drive another sport Accord, so I drove one with a six-speed manual. I liked the ride of that one too, maybe just a little bit better than that of the LX. So apparently the SX I drove the other day was not typical, and for me not as good a car.

The sticker price of the LX was $23,000, and today's SX was $24,000.
Was the first a "Honda Accord Sport" followed by the "Honda Accord LX" ...?
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

dosco, my first visit at the Honda dealership was for the test drive of the sport. I didn't like the ride, which I felt was too firm.

My second visit to the dealership was for the base model. That felt much better. The salesman then said, let's try another sport. So I did, this time with the six-speed manual. I liked that one maybe a little better than the base model.
Fitness
Lijun badger
dosco

Post by dosco »

GA Russell wrote:dosco, my first visit at the Honda dealership was for the test drive of the sport. I didn't like the ride, which I felt was too firm.

My second visit to the dealership was for the base model. That felt much better. The salesman then said, let's try another sport. So I did, this time with the six-speed manual. I liked that one maybe a little better than the base model.
Understood and thanks.

Just curious and attempting to speculate as to why the difference.

After checking the Honda website, the only difference I can see (based on what Honda publishes on the site) is that the "Sport" uses 18 inch wheels where the LX uses 16 inch wheels. That could certainly make a difference; although it doesn't explain why when you tried another Sport you didn't notice the "firm ride."

Anyways, overanalysis leads to paralysis. At this point I'll call it a day... :)
SRD

Post by SRD »

Had my Cadillac in for service this week. It's getting older and needs replacing in the next year or so as I get ready to retire for for the third and final time. I was told by the service manager whom I trust very much that the best car to buy right now is the Ford Fusion. He stated that there have been Zero problems with them. Interesting.
Dave
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

The new fusion is certainly one of the finer looking sedans on the road. Ford have released some outstanding designs with their recent crop of vehicles.
Wendell

gsgo

Post by gsgo »

The new Fusion is quite a good car but we found the new Accord was better finished and included more for less. Driving wise it was a toss up and Ford has seen some issues with their new engine lines vis a vis the new Escape.

Like I said earlier this category requires a good shop by the consumer as there are several good cars in the mid size sedan grouping.
Good shaving,

Gary
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

A couple of things:

1. If you are buying a car for the long term, I would avoid a turbo- or supercharged engine. Such an engine works harder, and though likely having structural reinforcements, I doubt it will have the longevity of a natrually aspirated engine.

2. Ford has a history of reliability issues with new models, which I have observed in reading over the last 30 years. As these models mature, their issues are resolved, and they become very reliable. This process typically takes several years. I have read of fairly significant reliability issues with the new Focus and Fiesta. It seems I also read of some issues with one of the new turbocharged engines used in the new Fusion.

By the way, here are the links to an Automobile comparison test of midsize sedans. (For reasons unknown, you can't just read through the whole test from one link.)

You may not come to the same conclusions, but the testers do tell what they like and dislike about each car. This may help you to define what you are looking for in a new car. From there, your own driving impressions will lead you to your final decision.

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/dr ... s_day_one/

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/dr ... ltima.html

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/dr ... zda_6.html

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/dr ... _day_four/

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/dr ... _day_five/

- Murray
Give me Soap or give me death!
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

That's good to think about, Murray. I'll have to compare again the difference aspects between the Accord base and sport, as the ride difference wasn't that great.

Here's an interesting article about how to drive a manual and avoid wear on your clutch, ideas that some here may not know about.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-safety/busti ... 38&msite=w
Fitness
Lijun badger
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Interesting article at Edmunds, Russ. I drive a 2006 Accord with a 5-speed manual. I prefer the 4-cylinder to the 6, as I prioritize chassis balance over extra power.

(I don't have any of the bad shifting habits outlined in the Edmunds article, by the way. My shifting technique aims to put the least stress on the drive train. Whlie I don't heel-and-toe, I do double-clutch when downshifting. 8) )

- Murray
Give me Soap or give me death!
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I burned the clutch out of my first manual car -- a 1982 Nissan Sentra -- in just over 13 months doing all those things listed -- a costly lesson at the time. I replaced the clutch and was given a gratis 20 minute in-car session from the dealership's mechanic who did the work for us and have never had a problem since. I really like driving a clutch --- and feel that it aids in my being more alert when I drive one.

I found it interesting when I first drove in the UK that everyone driving a standard seems to engage the hand brake to keep from drifting backwards when they are stopped, releasing it just before engaging the clutch. That's kind of a no-no here but I still do it sometimes on those gentle backwards grades at stop signs and signal lights.
Wendell

GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

I prefer the manual during northern winter weather and on hilly terrain, but I don't feel that it is particularly necessary here in Raleigh. I just enjoy having the car in the gear I want it to be in.
Fitness
Lijun badger
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

GA Russell wrote:I prefer the manual during northern winter weather and on hilly terrain, but I don't feel that it is particularly necessary here in Raleigh. I just enjoy having the car in the gear I want it to be in.
Yeah, I do get that. There are those moments when even I admit that I prefer an automatic as it is just easier then mushing gears in stop-and-start traffic.
Wendell

dosco

Post by dosco »

jww wrote:I burned the clutch out of my first manual car -- a 1982 Nissan Sentra -- in just over 13 months doing all those things listed -- a costly lesson at the time. I replaced the clutch and was given a gratis 20 minute in-car session from the dealership's mechanic who did the work for us and have never had a problem since. I really like driving a clutch --- and feel that it aids in my being more alert when I drive one.

I found it interesting when I first drove in the UK that everyone driving a standard seems to engage the hand brake to keep from drifting backwards when they are stopped, releasing it just before engaging the clutch. That's kind of a no-no here but I still do it sometimes on those gentle backwards grades at stop signs and signal lights.
I lived in Northern California for a few years when I was in the Air Force.

I had a 1992 Saturn with a manual transmission ... driving in San Francisco was ... interesting. lol.
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Here's a fun article from 2009 from edmunds.com called Confessions of a Car Salesman.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/confe ... 73&msite=w
Fitness
Lijun badger