OK cooks, I think I'm looking at a new Stand Mixer need inpu

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
ShadowsDad

OK cooks, I think I'm looking at a new Stand Mixer need inpu

Post by ShadowsDad »

We have a Kitchen Aid that was given to us after 20 years of use. I make a lot of bread and pizza and now it needs repairs since I've used it hard. I'm a member of a BBQ forum where we discuss far more than just BBQ and some folks have told me their tales of woe with KAs frailties with the gear train and intermittent loads when kneading. No doubt that's what caused the demise with my KA. That has me looking.

I posted at the BBQ forum and the Ankarsrum or Electrolux "Original" mixer was suggested. I just spent a few hours watching videos on YouTube and while it takes a bit of time to rewire my brain about the rotating bowl and the non-powered attachments (basically) the concept appears to be sound and bulletproof.

I'm not asking for a critique of the concept. Does anyone here use one? If so how do you like it?

TIA
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

We are still Kitchenaid geeks. Bought our current one 20 years ago, and if it died, we would very likely replace it with another one. We have the model sold at Costco here in Canada -- it's a regular item. I especially like the way the bowl lifts into the beaters rather than the pivoting head. We bought our engaged daughter one of the next line down --- she liked the colours better than plain white which is what Costco have been selling for years.

My daughter in law has a Bosch, and she loves it. When we were first married, we had a Sunbeam -- it was pretty low-end. I think we bought it at Woolco --- the store that Walmart took over in Canada back in the mid-90s.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
changabang

Post by changabang »

The european models are generally more expensive than the KitchenAids, aside from working on the rotating bowl principle as opposed to the planetary rotation of the K's. IMO, the planetary action is more effective in principle. Did you have the less powerful Artisan (tilt back) KitchenAid? If so, maybe the more expensive lift-up professional model might be for you. It's a YMMV thing, as always. Good luck.
James Nicks
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Don't overthink it. You had great success with KitchenAid, and from what I gather, it's still the gold standard. The pros on the cooking shows use them almost exclusively, and they could use any brand they wanted. It's kind of like All Clad; it's nearly all you see in use by the pros. That's good enough for me.

Edit: I reread your post and realized you didn't have the mixer for 20 years, someone else did. My rationale still applies, for me at least.
Jim
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

i dont think we have used one in 28 years of marriage. I mean, we have a hand mixer and I dont know that I have seen a mixing bowl in our house. I know we have not made dough - unless Pillsbury puts it into a pop-open container, then we have made that dough!!
Larry T

Post by Larry T »

Our Kitchen Aid just turned 30, and it's never missed a beat. Hard to complain about that, and most models are still made in the USA.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

changabang wrote:The european models are generally more expensive than the KitchenAids, aside from working on the rotating bowl principle as opposed to the planetary rotation of the K's. IMO, the planetary action is more effective in principle. ...
For the record, Bosch uses a planetary motion kind of set up. Agreed, it's more expensive than our Kitchenaid was. We have a few accessories for the KA - the meat grinder and rotary slicer which does great scalloped potatoes and your own thick cut crisps.
Wendell

rtaylor61
Old Spice

Re: OK cooks, I think I'm looking at a new Stand Mixer need

Post by rtaylor61 »

ShadowsDad wrote:We have a Kitchen Aid that was given to us after 20 years of use.
That is all the information I would need.

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

More info...

We found out today that most of those 20 years it sat unused. The previous owner only used it for about 2 years before giving it to us and buying a more powerful KA mixer.

3 years of use before requiring repairs isn't stellar performance IMO. In fact it's rather dismal. I suspect the KA reputation was built on the very early units, then the company began to see where they could cut corners.

FWIW, when we got the unit the speed control had absolutely no speed change for the first 4 settings and the first setting was far too high. I adjusted it and that made #1 setting right, but had no effect on settings 2-4.

What a shame. I had high hopes for the KitchenAid.

Then when I tried the first time to contact customer service I was deposited onto voice mail after being on hold for 45 minutes. I left a message with no call back for 2 weeks.

I don't need that. BTW, they finally called back after I emailed customer service to complain. It all adds up to something that I really want no part of. Again, what a shame, but it happened to the auto industry, our small appliance industry is in the toilet, and now one of the last holdouts that I had high hopes for is following close behind. They all went to the same schools, with the same results. With results like that one would think they'd be in government.

I strongly suspect that when the KA is repaired and returned to us it's going on Craigs list to help pay for the new mixer.

BTW, one gent on the BBQ forum stated that he keeps gears on hand and he has gotten so good at changing them that he can do it in 15 minutes. I don't need that. I can do it, I simply don't want to. I want something that will work w/o that level of maintenance. I'm trying to simplify my life not complicate it. When I'm making bread I don't want to perform maintenance to fix the mixer to get going again. That would be like having the car break down frequently on trips. If one had a vehicle like that it would be sold in a heartbeat.

Again, what a shame!
Brian

Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Brian,

I agree that the KA is the best all around stand mixer. I got one for Christmas as a gift from my daughter. I use it primarily for bread baking at the moment but will also be doing pizza dough. Also plan to make some sticky buns, etc on occasion. It is a KA Classic 4.5 qt tilt head stand mixer.

But think with me a bit. What will you be using it for most? Seems like bread baking is one thing. Second what is your price point?

KA makes mixers with various size mixing bowls and power. They also have a ton of attachments from meat grinders to pasta makers etc. Pricing is from low $300s to almost $900 for a professional model. My daughter shopped around and found the best price.

As for quality, well I don't think there is anything on the market that may last 20 years with a lot of use anymore. But KA has that great reputation for quality and also customer service.

I would go for the KA if it were me. I bake bread at least once a week and I get two nice sized loaves out of it with about 16 regular slices per loaf.

I did go the America's Test Kitchen and watched their video test on stand mixers and one that they did not like was the Electrolux. Stay away from that one.

Would like to share bread baking stories with you sometime. I love doing it and find it very relaxing.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I'm actually not surprised that they didn't like it. It took me quite awhile to get my head around the concept of the unit having no powered beater. I wonder if they even knew how to operate it. I'm not intending that as an insult, but it's a completely different concept and their test parameters wouldn't apply to the unit. I've seen their mixers tests, in order to score high the mixer must have a beater. That stifles innovation and well, the world is flat and the earth is at the center of the universe. Don't misunderstand, I like ATK.

I mostly make bread and pizza and other heavy doughs. Price point? Well, an inexpensive one that breaks is far too expensive. An expensive one that lasts and lasts is far less expensive in the long run IMO. I'm frugal and that's the essence of frugality. I'd much rather buy the latter machine.

I actually know a lady who has the Assistent ansd loves the thing. She bought it after burning up 2 KA mixers. But I'm not making any move yet. I want to see what the problem is with our KA first. It got shipped to them today, there's a 4-5 week turn around before I'll know.

Yccchh! 4 weeks of store bought bread!
Brian

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

just read an article (cant find the link, sorry) of 10 must have gadgets in the kitchen,,,,,,one of them was the KA mixer.....you gents are well ahead of the game =D> :lol:

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

fallingwickets wrote:just read an article (cant find the link, sorry) of 10 must have gadgets in the kitchen,,,,,,one of them was the KA mixer.....you gents are well ahead of the game =D> :lol:

clive
Hmmm --the Fat Evangelist finds himself setting a trend ...... fancy that. :wink:
Wendell

changabang

Post by changabang »

Alrighty then, I am looking at the ATK kitchen equipment buying guide, and they recommend the Cuisinart 5.5 qt stand mixer and the KA Professional 600 6 qt stand mixer, both, I assume, with planetary action. I presume the Cuisinart is european-made, possibly by Electrolux? What is this "Assistant" model you speak of? An Electrolux? The Cuisinart is allegedly $350, and the KA, $400. You know, if I were of your mind in this matter, considering I had to wait another month or so, maybe I would go ahead and get the more expensive Electrolux (under whatever brand name: Bosch, etc.) Seriously. Then you know you would be satisfied. :)
James Nicks
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

James I can supply a few links.

The last link, the youtube link shows the correct way to use the mixer. Note that unlike the Kitchen Aid the wet ingredients go in first so that centifugal force throws the dry ingredients into the roller. There is simply no way they can't/won't mix if one loads the bowl correctly and turns the mixer rpms up. I'd bet a whole lot of $ that ATK used it the same way they use a KA mixer and got terrible results because of that misuse.

As I already wrote, it took me hours on YouTube watching folks using it that allowed me to get my mind around the extremely different way that it works.

http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/magic_ ... mixer.aspx

http://www.amazon.com/Electrolux-White- ... B00006WNNH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMB4CVG5fLs

My mind isn't decided yet. I still need to find out what went wrong with our KA. If it's stripped gears I'll never have another KA since yeast dough is 90% of what I use a mixer for. Too, the Assistent also has a professional looking metal meat grinder and that too is important. The KA grinder is plastic. It's important for us to have quality made items and one power unit that does a lot since our kitchen has little space. The assistent also has a blender attachment that could be important when our Vita-Mix poops itself. I looked for the manufacturers YouTube video, but couldn't find it.
Brian

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I wonder whether the arising issues with KA are related to reducing QA over the years .... everyone seems happy with anything bought a few years ago, but recent ratings are not so positive.
Wendell

changabang

Post by changabang »

I watched a few YouTube videos about various Electrolux models, and I think that if I had the shekels, I would go for the Swedish made mixer. I thought I had a dog in this hunt, but considering that ATK has long had this holier-than-thou attitude about its ratings, they probably DID'NT understand the operating principle behind the Electrolux, and I wonder how many of their tests may be made to conform with Chris Kimball's preconceived notions of how the results should turn out. Perhaps Adam Ried is not all that independent in the test formulations. At any rate, I am now a believer: go for the Electrolux if you can afford to. Its design is much more robust and reliable, IMO, aside from any possible QC issues KitchenAid may or may not have.
James Nicks
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

FYI.....there is a big home show going on right now......the talk of the day is KA's new colours coming out. The doodz in the kitchen tool trade are salivating

clive
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

changabang

Post by changabang »

Clive, I see that as window dressing. If KA's QC is headed downward, then the introduction of new colors would seem to be irrelevant.
James Nicks