March Madness

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Kyle76

March Madness

Post by Kyle76 »

Fired up, Wendell? This is the best weekend of the year!
Jim
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

You know it. Was in Toronto all week for work so was watching what I could in the lobby of Billy Bishop. Taking most of tomorrow off. We are all set to,watch the SU game tonight.

I have Louisville, Georgetown, Miami, and Wisconsin in the final four.

The entire family is into the family bracket pool this year including all the women. Loved to hear my daughter-in-law explain how she selected the Jackrabbits of South Dakota State. She was sorely disappointed.

My 22 yr old daughter is keeping track of things said in our home during the tournament.

Good thing the tournament is here. With Unitedmhavnf wrapped up the EPL it gives me something to do until the Masters. Go Orange!
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

I typically take off the first two days of the tournament and watch nothing but basketball all day. But after missing a couple of days sick last week...and needing to take all of next week off (Spring break for the kids) I am keeping up over the interwebs this year.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
dosco

Post by dosco »

jww wrote:Go Orange!
Are you a Syracuse alum?
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

dosco wrote:
jww wrote:Go Orange!
Are you a Syracuse alum?
Actually no -- could never afford to attend a large private US university. The funny story here is I gained an interest in basketball when I was in my early teens. Never played it, but I became a certified IAABO official in 1983 fueling my love for the game. I watched my first tournament in 1984 when Georgetown beat Houston (great game). The next year there was an early December game on TV from the Carrier Dome in Syracuse with "Pearl" Washington featuring in quite a great demonstration of court awareness and game control. When I realized that upon moving to Ottawa a couple of years later, that SU was the closest Div I school to us. So we started attending a game every year. My wife even got us into the locker room several times. I have meet Boeheim each time, as well as several of the players -- Rony Saikaly, Sherman Douglas, Derrek Coleman, and others. It was a great treat for my then 3 yr old and growing son as well as for me as a fan. It simply blossomed from there and we have all bled Orange in our house all these years as a result.

As an aside, I unfortunately had to give up officiating when my day job prevented me from being available to do games at the high school level -- as I never got any joy or satisfaction from doing the mens leagues. I did pick up a clipboard though, and coached all my kids in city leagues for most of their playing days -- and loved that immensely.

So there you have it .... the story behind my addiction to The 'Cuse.
Wendell

dosco

Post by dosco »

jww wrote:Actually no -- could never afford to attend a large private US university. The funny story here is I gained an interest in basketball when I was in my early teens. Never played it, but I became a certified IAABO official in 1983 fueling my love for the game.
Great story, thanks for sharing.

My dad was an alum, alas he didn't seem to care much for watching sports so I never really got into anything as a youngster.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Current situation in our home:
  • Son #2, his wife and 1yr old daughter have moved into the spare room for the weekend
  • Soon-to-be Son-in-law moving into the basement rec room for the weekend
We are watching games non-stop. I have the afternoon off-ish from work.

Harvard was fabulous last night even though I didn't pick them to go through. I have picked one of yesterdays 12 seed upsets so far ..... but won't push my luck by saying anything further on that front. Montana were totally embarrassed last night, but I didn't care about the score -- hearing the broadcasters say Wayne Tinkle's name has us all a-giggles throughout the game.
Wendell

brothers

Post by brothers »

Wendell, I'm conviced somebody should contact you about getting this on a commercial for the tournament. March Madness! sounds like a perfect description for your family's complete immersion in the event. Congrats, you've got a great family, no doubt.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

And -- I have nearly 20 year's worth of VHS tapes in my home office of Final Four and Championship games -- starting with 1988 and Oklahoma and Kansas (that great Danny Manning game) through to Duke's loss to UNLV and then coming back the following year to beat the Runnin' Rebels in the semis and then taking the crown. I have been branded a sick man by some -- it's just a past-time, ya know??

And to put this all in perspective -- remember, we are all Canadians -- we have never had an interest to do this for hockey -- in fact we don't follow hockey per se at all --- does that make it feel any more mad to any of you???

Love the tournament.
Wendell

Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Wendell, have you seen the ESPN show, Survive and Advance, about the very unlikely 1983 NC State championship under Jim Valvano? I haven't seen it, but I hear it's very good, and I well remember the Wolfpack run, culminating in a miracle win over Houston's Phi Slamma Jamma lineup. The team had to win the ACC tournament to even get into the dance and then overcame huge odds in nearly every tournament game. They truly were the "Cardiac Pack" that season. I'm looking forward to seeing the show.
Jim
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

Seriously??? FLORIDA GULF COAST!!! Hats off to the newly crowned Cinderella.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

JayTrek wrote:Seriously??? FLORIDA GULF COAST!!! Hats off to the newly crowned Cinderella.
Hey, those guys looked pretty darned good, plus they beat Miami this season.
Jim
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

Kyle76 wrote:
JayTrek wrote:Seriously??? FLORIDA GULF COAST!!! Hats off to the newly crowned Cinderella.
Hey, those guys looked pretty darned good, plus they beat Miami this season.
No doubt. They dominated from the tip.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

As usual -- my bracket is so broke, I don't know why I put myself through this every year. My daughter's fiance is leading our family pool. We're taking a chance with having him over tonight as each time he has been at our home when the 'Cuse play, they loose. Giving him one more chance before we change our minds and tell our daughter to find someone else ...... just kidding - he's really one heck of a guy - and that's a dad of a daughter saying that. :wink:

FGC were there to play -- as Sam Mitchell put it, and I would have to agree -- the Georgetown team came thinking their uniforms would win the game for them. Otto Porter was a real disappointment as Big East player of the year. Another great reason why I love the tournament ---- any time you put a bunch of post-teen young men together, anything can happen.

Peyton Siva is perhaps the best player on the court in the tournament because of how he reads the game and directs the tempo on all sides of the ball. Great player who doesn't have to score to make all the difference to his team.
Wendell

Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

FGCU makes the Sweet 16!!!

In related news... A Hobbit named Frodo has apparently overthrown Sauron. :P
~Greg
brothers

Post by brothers »

Congrats to the Florida team Scrapyard! I love to see underdogs win!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Crazy first weekend -- while I didn't see any games yesterday, nice to see that Cinderella got invited to dance longer. There was that ugly win by the 'Cuse on Saturday -- and as I said at the time, at this time of year, and ugly win is better than any kind of loss. :wink:

Nice to finally see a couple of close games on Saturday finally. March without drama makes the tournament a rather dull event.

I continue to be flabbergasted at the lack of attendance in many venues in the second round (I still think of that as the real first round, but 'nough said about that). This has been most noticeable since they went to the pod system and took the venues off campus'. Note to the tournament committee, please give the tournament back to the students in smaller venues.
Wendell

Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Well, my bracket is officially done for. Thanks a lot, Indiana. Or should I blame Wendell?
Jim
Spenser

Post by Spenser »

I'm not Wendell, but the ESPN show on NC State is worth going out of your way to see. Seems like it was a 2-hr show and very well done.

This tournament has been a departure from the usual good games seems to me, have been some real stinkers this year. As someone remarked this morning, if you don't have an betting interest or a favorite team some games will put you asleep.
"Life is tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Spenser wrote:I'm not Wendell, but the ESPN show on NC State is worth going out of your way to see. Seems like it was a 2-hr show and very well done.
I finally DVR'd it last weekend and watched with my wife and daughter. Both my daughters are NCSU grads. If that show doesn't bring a tear to your eye, you're not truly a man. Jimmy V's Espy speech is a classic.

Here's the full quote:

To me, there are three things we all should do every day. We should do this every day of our lives. Number one is laugh. You should laugh every day. Number two is think. You should spend some time in thought. And number three is, you should have your emotions moved to tears, could be happiness or joy. But think about it. If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special.
Jim