Pondering - nice people

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Spenser

Pondering - nice people

Post by Spenser »

I was reading an article the other day about the “nice” people in our lives. Didn’t seem to be any correlation between gender, occupation, social status or anything else, although it does seem that the service to others type of calling attracts the type of personality that lends itself to this trait.

Started me thinking, is there an occupation that seems to almost require a person to be nice, just to be successful.
Maybe I’ve know too many scoundrels, but could only come up one occupation, nurses.

They meet the dictionary definitions - pleasant, fastidious, precision in care involving others, and so on.

Got to be more, what can you come up?
"Life is tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Just recently dealing with issues on this very thought. Seems to me I just saw a career column that had a number of recomended jobs for those with "nice is right" attitude.

Surprisingly the problems nice people face is in certain roles they may internalize issues when faced with a confrontational situation even if it is not of their doing or responsibility to their own detrement. Offers of consideration or simple caring by nice people can be targeted and taken advantage of by less scrupulus people.

When I saw the recent news clip of a man falling onto the underground rail track and a stranger jumping down to his aid, you realize that there is still hope.
Good shaving,

Gary
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

A small thought to add, and that is that in my field being kind is a trait that will be valued above all others, even competence.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Nice people are everywhere, and not so nice people are everywhere, too. Any profession that deals with the public should require nice people, particularly those like doctors, where the patient is likely nervous and scared and in uncharted territory. Unfortunately, I'm sure we all know doctors who are anything but kind and understanding. Others I can think of are customer service, wait staff, flight attendant, minister.
Jim
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Nice people get my attention and appreciation. Not-so-nice people are less likely to do so.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

To echo Kyle, far too many ministers are just not nice people. Plenty within my own denomination are, to be frank, a$$es. And it makes the rest of us look like fools.

Edit: I know I'm not a guy named Frank. SMF keeps changing it!
Regards,
Mike
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Mike,
Sorry about the Frank thing. These BB's allow the ability to replace a word in a post with another, which once upon a time was a way of dealing with spam. We had such a problem with a far eastern brushmaker and his shills, and not wanting to ban too easily, we discouraged the posts by replacing the word they wanted us to read. Unfortunately, our software is old and creaky, and something somewhere has become corrupted - I can't delete it or any of the other word replacements in operation. But I can edit them, so I just made Frank be replaced by Frank. Apparently seamless until I realised it would turn frank into Frank. It turns out I can also create new replacements, so I have just made one that turns frank into, you guessed it, frank. I hope it works out as I won't be able to delete it!

Edit: Oh dear, now it makes every instance lowercase. I shall have to pray to St Vince....

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Well, St Vince interceded for me by putting an idea in my head. If I can't delete but can edit - why not amend the words? Just don't go using the adjectives pertaining to the tribe of barbarians known as Franks, or you will get similar capitalisation inconsistencies. Anyway, as you can see from my post above, all works as it should for Frank and frank.

Chris
Frankly, my dear.....
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

Ha! To think 1 word would cause such troubles for Dr. Moss. Good reminder that SMF is leisure for most but real work for others!
Regards,
Mike
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

No problem, Mike. What else have I to do with all this time? :roll:

Chris
And if I didn't do it, I'd be assimilated at that site...
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

drmoss_ca wrote:No problem, Mike. What else have I to do with all this time? :roll:

Chris
And if I didn't do it, I'd be assimilated at that site...
For some reason when I read this, the first thing I thought of was "Physician, heal thyself!" Yes, I'm sure your free time is copious indeed :lol:
Regards,
Mike