Suit Jacket length

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
cvc

Suit Jacket length

Post by cvc »

So the suits I have are all 40R.. I'm going to purchase a few jackets from Express while they're on sale and was wondering if you guys think this model is wearing a short or regular length.. I'm guessing it's a short and now I'm wondering if it's more stylish to be wearing a short.. What do you guys think?

http://www.express.com/clothing/glen+pl ... /cat120009
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

I would classify it as a short slim modern cut that would definitely put an age appropriate label to it meaning it would not be for the middle or older generation. If this fits your particular demographic you should be fine.
Good shaving,

Gary
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

If it's the Glen Plaid to which you refer, it looks short to me; in fact the jacket overall looks as though it would fit his little brother better. Quite frankly, although a short jacket might be the current style, It might be trendy, but it's far from stylish.
Bryan
Spenser

Post by Spenser »

SHORT - short - short. Like maybe two inches, that is a lot.

I was taught that the length should fit into the crease of your fingers if you bent your fingertips inward to touch your palm. The last two pictures look closer to right to me.

Maybe styles have changed, but I would feel awkard in this coat.
"Life is tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

ditto what spenser said..

marc
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

A man's suit coat or blazer should reach to the bottom of the buttocks. That coat is too short. But remember it's on a mannequin and not on a live person, so it might not accurately portray the coat's length.
Cheers,

Craig
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

No offense intended here gents, but the new style/cut of suit coat being worn by the younger set makes them look to me like their clothes are too tight and too small. Kind of like they put the item in a hot wash followed by the dryer.

I get the trim cut look, but think when it gets taken to extremes I feel that it looks too trendy and not professional enough. ymmv, however.

I like to buy a suit or a jacket that I am able to wear for a few years ---- and have tried on and off to keep a double-breasted suit around, although at the moment, I don't have one.

My father had a fabulous silk double-breasted suit he got when he was in his early thirties and which he wore until into his 60s. He only had to stop wearing it because of weight gain due to medication he was taking. It was class upon class and never looked out of date.
Last edited by jww on Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
dosco

Post by dosco »

jww wrote:No offense intended here gents, but the new style/cut of suit coat being worn by the younger set makes look to me like their clothes are too tight and too small. Kind of like they put the item in a hot wash followed by the dryer.
In NYC I believe these young men are referred to as "Hipster <French word for shower>."
Spenser

Post by Spenser »

Most likely we are talking about entirely different age and social situations here. I see teenagers and the 20-something guys wearing these coats in very informal settings, certainly not in a business setting. A tie, for example, would not look appropriate w/this style coat (to me) - at least a tie tied at the neck. Seems to be stylish now to have a tie casually around the neck and not in the typical knot at neck.

Good, common sense style hardly ever goes out of style, problem is what is good to me maybe is not good to you.

To each his own.
"Life is tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Short jackets look entirely professional ... on a waiter. Spenser has the accepted rule of thumb for a classic men's fit, which is called "classic" for a reason: it doesn't yield to daily fashion trends.
Jim
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Kyle76 wrote:Short jackets look entirely professional ... on a waiter. Spenser has the accepted rule of thumb for a classic men's fit, which is called "classic" for a reason: it doesn't yield to daily fashion trends.
clas·sic
/ˈklasik/
Adjective
Judged over a period of time to be of the highest quality and outstanding of its kind.
Noun
A work of art of recognized and established value.
Synonyms
classical - standard
Wendell

Rufus

Post by Rufus »

It's style vs fashion. As Edna Chase put it so succinctly, "Fashion can be bought. Style one must possess.". According to Coco Chanel, "Fashion fades, only style remains.". Classic men's clothes never go out of style; they may go out of fashion among the trendy types, such as grossly over paid actors and professional athletes, but who's worried about fashion anyway. Style is timeless, but fashion is transitory - a ploy on the part of the clothing industry to sell more clothing
Last edited by Rufus on Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bryan
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Short jackets*: brought to you by the same fashion gurus who think guys with scruff look cool. Feh! on them. I wear a standard blue blazer with Illya Kuryakin turtleneck for Saturday night dinner at the country club, a traditional herringbone sports coat with ascot when I'm visiting my Cayman Islands bank account . . . and I'm clean-shaven at both venues.

*Might as well be wearing a Nehru.
Ron
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

rsp1202 wrote:Short jackets*: brought to you by the same fashion gurus who think guys with scruff look cool. Feh! on them. I wear a standard blue blazer with Illya Kuryakin turtleneck for Saturday night dinner at the country club, a traditional herringbone sports coat with ascot when I'm visiting my Cayman Islands bank account . . . and I'm clean-shaven at both venues.

*Might as well be wearing a Nehru.
Illya Kuryakin -- now there's one you don't hear much anymore. Nice!
Jim
dosco

Post by dosco »

rsp1202 wrote:Short jackets*: brought to you by the same fashion gurus who think guys with scruff look cool.
The same folks who want us to buy that goofy Gillette electro-razor contraption.

Ugh.
Last edited by dosco on Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

dosco wrote:
rsp1202 wrote:Short jackets*: brought to you by the same fashion gurus who think guys with scruff look cool.
The same folks who want us to by that goofy Gillette electro-razor contraption.

Ugh.
And by association, Adrian Brody's "Anchor".

Wendell

dosco

Post by dosco »

jww wrote:
dosco wrote:
The same folks who want us to by that goofy Gillette electro-razor contraption.

Ugh.
And by association, Adrian Brody's "Anchor".
Indeed. lol.
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

The way Brody preens in that Gillette commercial, I just want to slug him. He doesn't know cool from fool . . .

. . . speaking of which, Steve McQueen may have been the "The King of Cool," but Kuryakin was way cooler, and came first. 'Atta boy, Duckie!
Ron
Julius_Rodman

Re: Suit Jacket length

Post by Julius_Rodman »

cvc wrote:So the suits I have are all 40R.. I'm going to purchase a few jackets from Express while they're on sale and was wondering if you guys think this model is wearing a short or regular length.. I'm guessing it's a short and now I'm wondering if it's more stylish to be wearing a short.. What do you guys think?

http://www.express.com/clothing/glen+pl ... /cat120009

You spend decent money on clothing that you never try on first?

Must be nice to be that fancy free....
brothers

Post by brothers »

I predict the short jacket is just a passing fashion. My own problem is that I don't like change for the sake of change, but that's just me. However, those who are blessed with an attractive physique can obviously get away with trying new things and in many cases, they can influence others. More than a few of us might not have the appropriate body that will make the newly designed clothes look good, and vice versa.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444