Compact florescent bulbs

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Compact florescent bulbs

Post by Sam »

Wondering if you can safely use a 100 watt compact florescent bulb in a lamp that says do not exceed 60 watts. The package for the compact says it uses 23 watts

The light output on the 60 compact bulb is just OK and a regular 60 is better but the 100 compact would be desirable
dosco

Post by dosco »

As long as the CFL fits, I think you'll be fine. I've done it in several fixtures with no ill effects.
Duckster

Post by Duckster »

Yes (if I'm reading your post correctly). Does the packaging for the compact fluorescent bulb say "100 Watt Equivalent" on it? If so, that's just a marketing term letting you know that you'll get roughly the same amount of light you'd get from a 100 Watt incandescent bulb. But the compact fluorescent bulb will only draw 23 Watts of power from your socket.
John
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Yes Sam, you're good to go with the CFL. If they ever make a CFL that uses an actual 100 watts (not equivalent) that would be the limit for the socket.

What you plan to do I do all the time. It's great for older eyes.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Dexterous

Post by Dexterous »

I use Daylight CFL bulbs in areas that need more light than an ordinary CFL bulb. These bulbs produce 800 lumens for as little as 14 watts. They are available at most hardware and department stores.
Detroit - You wouldn't last a week here.
My Blog - shaving product reviews and more
jtpca

Post by jtpca »

Jason

There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know. - Truman