Computer help - screen freezes

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Sam wrote:Takes getting used to but wow, my programs and internet are opening so much faster. Open Office is a bit different than microsoft word. Tried to send an Open Office document as an attachment to an email in Gmail and recipient said she could not open it. They have an icon in Open Office to directly convert it to PDF and I can save that version and was able to send it then as well
Sam,

The key to allowing Open Office docs to be opened in Word is to save them as Word docs. When you save a document the dialogue box where you tell OO where to save the doc should allow you to choose the file format that you want to use.

You can also make Word doc your default format for saving document files by doing the following:

While in OO Writer (Word Clone):
If you always want the file dialogs to show another format by default, choose Tools - Options - Load/Save - General and select that format as Default file format.

This procedure as well as how to do other Word things in OO can be found by clicking on the help button at the top of the document page. If you have any other questions just send me a PM and I will try to help you out.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
Gene

Post by Gene »

I put Open Office on an in-laws machine and did all this, too. But I found that files they currently had on their computer were still trying to open the MS products. I had to go in to the settings of Windows and make OO the default there, too.

Easy enough to do.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore